OT: TVR To Cease Production In UK! | FerrariChat

OT: TVR To Cease Production In UK!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Anthony_Ferrari, Oct 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
  2. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I thought this had been the case for some months now. I think TVR's are stunning looking cars but everytime i go to see to possibly buy, i remember why i never bought the last time. I do not want water leaking in, squeaks etc etc.

The fact that they are hand built and so raw etc is what a lot of people like however so it should be interesting if they do step up the QC of these cars.

3. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
  4. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Great shame, I was a big fan of TVRs under the direction of Peter Wheeler, but now they’re not quite the same, seem to have lost that raw edge. I guess they never really improved their build quality and the big manufacturers caught up in the lunatic power stakes. Sadly now out of the UK it’s lost much of its quirky appeal.

5. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

I nearly did some design work for TVR, and visited the factory a few times - if the reputation is poor, you should see the factory.....

They routinely filled the glassfibre shells full of filler and then spent an age rubbing down. I saw near finished cars attacked with an angle grinder to get the bonets to fit...

It was only a realy good painting process that saved it...

That said there were some monsters in the development workshop :)

Great fun to drive tho, and the original bang for buck rating was superb. Problem was they tried to go upmarket with pricing without upmarket quality...

6. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Before anybody blames Smolensky, it has to be said that it was the Brits that just stopped buying them. I hope the move to Eastern Europe will re-invigorate the company. Most likely, TVR would be the basis for numerous vanity projects by Eastern European businessmen, kinda like Farboud in England.

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nikolai,

I agree with you. The move may be a good one. I understand it may be Bertone in Italy that will be building them.

Regards

Matthew

8. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I heard that too. Do you think that Bertone would be able to authentically replicate the TVR gluey smells?

9. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    No worry if they don't as they build cars properly. If you want that authentic TVR smell then buy a pot of EVO STICK and and pour some inthe car .

10. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Do they know where they are moving to? Or has that not been decided yet?