Shipping a car from Denver to Los Angeles? | FerrariChat

Shipping a car from Denver to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by kpl, Oct 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kpl

kpl Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    About how much would it cost to ship a car from Denver to Los Angeles?

Any recommendations on a good car transporter company?

Thanks

2. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
  3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    call gary straight. he is located in fort collins, co. he transported my custom built porsche from LA a few months ago and i am extremely happy. his number is 970.227.0237

4. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would expect $1200-$1500 range for a covered carrier.

5. Jer

Jer Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Helling
    You'll pay more than that for a good carrier. Good enclosed carriers will cost you $2,000-$2,500.

Whatever you do, do NOT use DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) as I and many other people have had nightmares come to life using this large national shipper. I haven't personally used but also hear good things about Horseless Carriages and would do some research onto them. Personally after the experience I had with DAS I refuse to ever ship a car again. I will personally go out and either trailor or drive it back.

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My qv was shipped from Houston to Denevr last year (about the same distance I think) most quotes and the one I used were in this range. (I used the one reccod by JRV in Houston)- no probs at all.

7. H2o

H2o Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I used Western Transport out of Denver since that is the company FOD uses. They were much less. This may be a good place to start at least for comparison purposes.

8. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    We tried to use Western to ship our Elise to SC, but they didn't return phone calls.

We ended up using FedEx Custom Critial Passport Auto Transport. The driver was outstanding. He was a retired race engine builder and knew how to make a freak owner feel comfortable. Total cost was just over $1600 for enclosed transport.

9. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I don't know what's more surprising Nick...the fact that Western didn't return any calls or the price you paid to use FEDEX! My typical rule of thumb, if "X" and "Y" company say they can do it for $1,000, FEDEX will say $5,000! :)

10. 308SYSTEMS

308SYSTEMS Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    I have used Passport Transport(owned by FEDEX) to ship my Ferrari twice, both with EXCELLENT results. From St. Luis to Los Angeles 10 yrs ago was $1300, from Los Angeles to Ft. Collins 3 yrs ago was $1600. Enclosed of course....

11. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I am getting an enclosed for $650. Ferrari of Denver is hooking it up...

12. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I haven't had much luck with any of the transporters. The one good thing I can say (knock on wood) my cars were never damaged.

Western wouldn't return calls.

FedEx picked up the car 5 days late then left my car in their wherehouse in St. Louis for another 10 days. The driver was filthy. I'll never use them again.

GoldRush picked the car up on time and then zigged zagged across the country for another 7 days before I got my car. But overall they were pretty good and took good car of the car. The driver always gave me a call to tell me where he was.

Used Horseless numerous times. I always give them a call first to see if they have a truck in the area. One time Horseless left FNA in New Jersey and got to Scottsdale in 3 days. There were 2 drivers in the truck. They must have driven 15-20 hrs a day. The drivers always kept me informed on their location.