The return of the Dino? | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    and an m80 gives you more bang for a buck than a ZO6. the point is?

2. life_is_a_playground

Sep 28, 2006
    hahaha. you can also buy them in bricks at the flea market...

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree with the sentiment, but frankly BMW and Mercedes were never in Ferrari's league even when I was in grade school. Yes, the Mercedes SL was probably the best car you'd see on the road, but I almost never saw Ferrari's anywhere other than in Road & Track or on TV.

After watching the Ferrari factory in action on that National Geographic 'Ultimate Factories' show, I don't see how Ferrari could crank out enough volume to sell a car down in the Porsche Turbo price range without compromising the craftsmanship that makes the cars what they are.

That said, the photoshop'ed Dinos look better to me than any current production Ferrari's - nice compact proportions, hearkens back to 246/308 with the right bits of the 599 mixed in.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No, that's the best Chevy. Except for the front end, which they botched. It should have been copied from the graceful Ferrari 550 and not from the gawky Mitsu 3000GT, IMO.

It would be a dream car if everyone didn't already own one. I park between two of them at the office.

It is red, though.

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Dream on boys. The pronouncements of executives at car shows have been traditionally worth less than the the spittle that accompanied them as they exited said executives' mouths.

IMHO Ferrari will do what they gave to do to survive financially, and that is eventually sell themselves to the public in order to alleviate the crushing debt burden of their major stockholder, Fiat Spa. To do that they need to make more money - ergo they need to make more cars. They have been slowly increasing their output, to over 5,500 cars this year but they have invested in an engine plant and paint plant that are both capable of more than 10,000 units each in a single shift, which is the way the factory operates right now.

The new Ferrari Dino, which has spent most of its development life as a Maserati, is a reality and became obviously so the day Maserati was ceded back to the Fiat Auto group in the Alfa Romeo operation.

I predict a 2009 introduction.....

6. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    Roof line is purely porsche. And according to the photo there is no rear deck. Ferrari would never do this.

7. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller

granted, it is not Italian and the interior is plastic, but as a bonafied Ferrari guy I cannot deny the exotic status of the new Z06. not to mention the cost factor. It will never be a ferrari, and is not on the level of the enzo, but Luca Montezemelo better do something to regain the company's heritage as being the worlds best sports car company.

does ferrari make the fastest car?
    no
    word has it the Bugatti is Hands down.

does ferrari make the quickest car?
    no
    FXX can't hold a candle to John Force's Mustang

does ferrari make the best handling car?
    no
    tons of cars with better stats than everything but FXX

Did Ferrari win the F1 Championship?
    no
    Renault

All i am saying is that Ferrari is the pedegree, and there should be no 2nd rate Ferrari. Maserati does as good a job as any at that position. But Like I said they need to make their own cars a little less expensive and all around much better than their competition, or sooner or later they will just be Lambroghini's with a racing history.

8. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Having studied Ferrari my whole life, there is something I don't understand. There is already a Dino made by Ferrari . It is the 430.
    In the 60's when Ferrari made nothing but 12 cylinders but raced 6's and 4's they needed to make dough so they introduced the Dino . The 308-328-348-355-360-430 series only continued the Dino. If you look at the magazine and books written during the time, not looking back 30 years later, they all clearly say that the 308 series was just the continuation of the 206-246 . There was no doubt. They just put the Ferrari name on it for marketing purposes.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    True, but in the evolution of the Dino, it got bigger, faster, more powerful and heavier along the way. The F430 is bigger than a Testarossa. And heavier, and more powerful, and faster. So the "Dino" series of 8 cylinder cars has completely lost its roots.

We need the new Dino to be small, light, and powerful for its weight, but it certainly doesn't need 500 HP. Basically, we need a Ferrari like the Elise but with more power.

Birdman

10. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I can.

11. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Hey I like the idea of a 500 HP elise!!!!!

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes, they are about as believable as celebrities denying they have an addiction, disorder, getting a divorce, etc. They'll issue the press release denying it and file in court the same day!

13. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    what is it about the ZO6 that makes it 'exotic'...it's build, fit and finish, pushrod engine? it's a huge performance value, no doubt, but how is it 'exotic'? also, on your list there, current F-cars may not be at the very top of each of those respective items, but they are superb at ALL of them, which makes the overall package something else! i'd love to see that mustang try and keep up with the FXX on anything other than a drag strip.

14. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    then you must not be able to read. i wonder how you can write. a simple glance at any dictionary would persuade you to deny the Z06 exotic status. Looking at or driving one would confirm it. Have you ever seen a Zo6 in a group of exotics or driven one after driving exotics? I have and i can confirm it is not an exotic. the first definition of exotic is foreign. the second is strangely beautiful. the Z06 fails miserably on both counts. The Ferrari on the other hand....

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The Z06 is the exotic of pushrod engine cars. It's better than nothing I guess?

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    If you changed the first word to HAS Ferrari..., you could say yes to all of those questions. How many other manufacturers can say that?

How about this one: can you go into a mustang or corvette dealership and get a new car pretty quickly?

and remember, this is from a company that's revenues are a small fraction of a GM.

17. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I drove (hard) a Z06 at Gingerman Raceway this summer. A very fast car. I was impressed how well it handled and braked (I knew it would be fast). Despite fast lap times, it did communicate like a racecar to me.

At this short track, torque is a premium (to get out of corners) and the Z06 is probably faster than a 430 (blasphamy) and certainly faster than my CS, but it felt very muted. Driving a Z06 is like driving a 360/430 with winter mittens on. It performs well, but did not communicate the road, or give the feeling of a precision instrument. However, at 1/3 the price of a 430, it is a great deal.

I would point out that a $20 quartz watch will keep time as well as a Rolex but it really is not the same thing.

jts

18. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    Try it at speed on some rolling, twisty country roads. after doing that, i dubbed it the doctor killer. i could have had a martini in the 430.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Foreign?...so a Ferrari is not an exotic if it is in Italy? Foreign has nothing to do with the definition of an exotic...a Ford GT is an exotic yet made in the good old USA...

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you are incorrect! a ZO6 could be exotic in Figi but a GT is not exotic here. no, a ferrari is not an exotic to Italians.

21. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
  22. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Okay... I will be the first... I was wrong. ITS HERE!!!! 420 Dino

http://mag1.olivesoftware.com/am/getBookWRM.asp?Path=WRM/2006/12/02&BookCollection=WRM_AM&ReaderStyle=WR&OnePageMode=1

FORZA FERRARI!!!!!
    -Jon

23. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    i think that you are all mis reading my comments. No doubt Ferrari is the greatest Marque of all, but IMO they are not what they were in the past. and we are discussing it in a thread where I am commenting that there would be no market for a second rate Ferrari!!! A z06 is a second rate ferrari. it is made for high performance at a lower price. and as for exotic cars being foreign, what about the Ford GT, Saleen S7, callaway vettes, and Hennessey Vipers? All very exotic and made right here in the US.

all I am saying is a Dino would downgrade Ferrari IMO and I agree they should not do something that stupid.

24. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Very good point here.

I have a question though for you Ferrari historians, Ferrari now seems to have their model line up pretty steady and they just keep evolving it. So I am trying to figure out where these cars fit in, and it gets confusing to me.

F430 > 360 > 355 > 348 > 328 > 308 > 246 > 206 ??

599 > 575 > 550 > 512M > TR > Boxer > 365 GTC4 Daytona ??

612 > 456 > Mondial > 412 > 400 > 365 GT4 2+2 ??

Enzo > F50 > F40 > 288 GTO

This is about as far as I can trace the evolutions back before the cars start getting too different. Was the 550 a replacement for the 512M? Why did they switch from rear to front engine? Where would a Dino fit into this? And please correct me if I have any of this wrong, I am trying to put it all together for myself.

25. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #350 TheBigEasy, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017