The return of the Dino? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
  2. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I don't think it's a real car. If you look carefully, it's labeled an illustration. I can't believe how talented the artist must be, but I think the whole think is done on a computer with some photo input. Think about it. As nice as this little internet mag is, what are the chances they would get any kind of exclusive on this vehicle.
    I believe we are in a situation where we have no idea what we know and don't know.
    Just my own opinion , but I also would hate to see this car. If something like the Dino was to rise from the ashes I would really like to see something like a super Lotus Exige, but more power and even better handling (if that's possible). Something that was built to easily adapt to the major racing series ALMS, Rolex, FIA-GT etc. and could go out and dominate in a fairly stock class.
    IMHO if they don't do something like this it will just be another Maserati type small spyder.
    How sickening will it be when we start seeing magazine giant tests with this car that include the miata, Pontiac Solstice, mitsubishi eclipse, Hundai Tiburon.
    No offense to any of these cars , a lot of them are really good and great fun to drive, but you get my point.

3. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    can't understand why the boxer and tr aren't down in the supercar line. i mean the boxer is one of the cars that started the "supercar" era and the tr is argueably still a supercar performance wise, definetley was when it came out.

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The Dino, when it comes, will slot into the space formerly occupied by the 3x8 class. It won't be competing against Boxsters, Caymans and Z4 M cars
    The 360, further evolved to the 430 and then on to its successor in 2009 represents the the "new" class- a super sport car (not a GT) capable of taking on the best anyone has to offer, probably with a V10 or at least a V8 with specific output in the mid to high 500's.

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    but you don't say why they are not what they were in the past. I think they are better now than they were in the past. they have two of the best supercars in the world. In a crowded field that they had almost to themselves in the past. i mean everyone makes a supercar now. they are sold out till kingdom come and they are just coming off multiple F1 wins and second places. their best stretch ever. their name is worth more and they are more popular than ever.i just don't get the argument.

6. scuderia15

scuderia15 Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    I don't believe at all that the Dino line has lost its roots. No one says that about the Porsche 911 despite the fact the base one comfortably outguns a turbo from only a decade or two ago.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes that's what I thought too, but when the TR was out they also had the 288 GTO and then the F40. Where I think they fit in is right in the huge gap of front V12's between the Daytona and the 550 Maranello, because exactly filling that gap is the Boxer thru the 512M. So staying on that line brings it to the 599GTB which I guess you could consider a supercar, but it's definitely not in the same league as the Enzo.

8. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    now you are bringing in the racing aspect of things. Well the F1 cars are again on top of the field in F1, but how exactly does that relate to road cars?????? In the 60s when Ferrari really became Ferrari, they raced roadcars. Now they don't do that! all their racing concentration is on the F1 cars and they "Supply" racing cars to independent race teams. The problem is that they are not the best cars out there.

No doubt, Ferrari is the cream of the crop, but there are alternatives out there, and I will state again that there doesn't need to be a second rate Ferrari. that was my only point by putting up the Z06. and when I stated not yet I simply meant that no it is not a Ferrari, but this is probably the closest it will ever come.

and FYI I don't know where that person came from when they said that I must not have had any road time in either car, because I can vouch for the z06's performance as well as 360s and CS. A 430 is no-man's land for me, but as you can read in other posts, they are of near equal performance for a quarter of the price.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes - not only that, at a $120-140k price point, it's really not far off where the 355 and 360 were in the late 90's. IIRC the base price of the 360 was around $145k in 1999, before they became "the thing." Of course that was with no options.

10. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    I just read the new issue of WINDING ROAD Magazine, and there it is on the cover with a driving report! There is even a Spyder/Targa model in a nice photo by the sea. Since this is an online magazine, others may have it also and can down load the pictures. They are great. I can't seem to do it.

Ciao...Paolo

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember that in recent years, the "cheap Ferrari" has been called "Maserati". Even though Maserati is not part of the Ferrari group anymore, most of the Ferrari dealers in the U.S. are still also Maserati dealers, and the modus operandi of the dealers relative to each other doesn't seem to have changed.

So if you want a "cheap Ferrari", get yourself a Gran Sport. It's a nice car in its own right, and it still has a Ferrari engine.

12. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Right now Ferrari has the world's attention, even if Renault took them in the constructors cup.They have more than enough momentum to launch a nostalgic little car.

The Dino wasn't originally badged as a ferrari, presumably because it wasn't intended to be in the same league as the "true" ferrari's. Plus they couldn't step on Fiat's toes, as Fiat was helping to meet production with their variation on the Dino.

Nevertheless, the Dino spawned a whole line of "poor man's ferraris" whose popularity helped them continue to capture the attention of enthusiasts. Now the poor man's Ferrari has evolved so far that it is completely gone. The "entry level" 430 is positioned in the market and priced as a full-on exotic.

Perfect timing to bring back the Dino - light, simple, compact, nible. Mid-engine is a must. A hint of nostalgia perhaps, but remember we're in the 21st century. The real nostalgia should be in driving it. Why should Lotus have the monopoly on simple cars that are made to drive?

13. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
  14. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    yeah, pics are a bit old now...

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #366 PAP 348, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    ah yes, the Cayman with the bodykit. Nice Porsche :D

17. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Hey, I could rebody my boxster and have my first F Car. Its do-able, I think . . . . . . . . . . . .

:)

James in Denver

18. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    That car is beautiful, I love it.
    Maybe put a 3 liter V8 with 350HP a red line of 8500rpm's followed by a 6 speed.
    Wow that would be so cool.

19. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #370 DrStranglove, Dec 30, 2006
  20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #371 PAP 348, Dec 30, 2006
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's really poor design. Good thing it's the product of some rumor chasing artist rather than Pininfarina

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMO That would sell.

23. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name: