250 GT PF Series II Convertibles- | FerrariChat

250 GT PF Series II Convertibles-

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sixcarbs, Dec 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Why are they so much less than a California Spyder? Were the production numbers significantly higher? Performance differences? Or it is just a styling thing?

I agree that parked next to a California it looks a tad frumpy, but what doesn't parked next to a California?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Don't know the production numbers off the top of my head.

All I've read infers the relative low prices of this line is due to "conservative" styling. I love them, and think they are the bargain of the 250 lineup, (as is the 250PF coupe IMO).

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Even if Pininfarina seems to enjoy quite a respect among car designers, the pininfarina badge usually brings the price down significantly. I think this is because of conservative styling, mass production of a standard product (200 identical units) and that not a single one of them was raced.

The same goes for all Ferraris built by Pininfarina, except the real haute couture cars. Best wishes, Kare

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I agree with Kare--in my opinion it's just a matter of styling. But the PF is a better-built car than the California, and more comfortable to boot. The seating position of the Cal. leaves something to be desired: knees up and arms out. Automotive history seems to indicate that styling can make or break a car, which in the opinion of some is why the 166MM "Barchetta" was so important to Ferrari's success. Just my 2cents.

5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Instead of the California spyder and the PF cabrio S2, you can also choose the PF cabrio S1.
    I love that car...

6. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #6 Kram, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kare is quite right.

But! If you use a 28 mm lens and angle it properly you can make a PF II look more like a California....

Just never move from that position.

Ever. Not even to drive it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    You're right, very nice composition.

I had just looked at that picture (via your profile) after reading about the "cups" behind the seats in the what have you found in your car thread?

So, at least one of the PFII Cabriolets was (potentially) raced ;)

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    All of the above- these cars were aimed at a different audience than the Cal Spyders, which weren't just much better looking but also much more performance-oriented. The PF Spyders were intended to be grand touring cars to take to the country club, while the Cal Spyders were meant to be more uncompromising sports cars that you could track. Hell, would you rather have a 275 NART Spyder or a 275 GTS (no disrespect intended towards the 275 GTS, which is a pretty car, but certainly no NART Spyder)? Almost the same sort of disparity . . .

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I generally disagree. All old Ferraris, without exception, are beautiful and Batista Pinin Farina is infallible. Some beauties do not require a discriminating eye, like the California Spyder and the Lusso, and some do. Some require a more judicious eye to see their real beauty.

A Series II PF Spyder can be just as handsome, if not more so, as a California Spyder. And a 330 2+2 can be just as distinguished as a 250 Lusso. The problem lies in the color scheme. Some 15-20 years ago a great number of cars were “restored”; however, they were done in the wrong colors: bright red with black interior, and the other favorite: bright red with tan interior.

john

10. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    #10 toto70_0, Dec 8, 2006
    I think John is right, the colour makes the car and also old paint makes a series II shape look better. The modern paint and flashy colours do not let the car come to its rights.

11. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    That's a great picture Mark - Congrats !

Is that 03093GTF ?

Argento

12. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks!

Nope: 2041GT

And Randy, you're right: Anything that was ever driven on the FDR in New York has been raced!

13. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    And to boot the Cal Spyder was cheaper than the PF when new! I think my Series 1 is much better looking and better built than than the Cal Spyders. Jim

14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I agree. The Series I is probably the most beautiful Ferrari of the 1950's era. I especially love the shape of the windshield and that beautiful bezel that surrounds it.

john

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think Pininfarina made many mistakes. He managed to design the perfect closed headlight nose in 1954 (0488AM), but with open head lights he was in deep trouble. Pininfarina had his idea of how long a front fender has to be and the nose on a Ferrari was always too long. The head light had to be set back in the fender but it wasn't enough. After constructing the first prototype for PF Coupe (0851GT) the front overhang was cut 100 mm shorter. I have a problem with the set back open headlight: it is a cheap compromise trying to hide the nose that is too long. On the other hand it reminds me that even these beautiful cars were designed by human beings.

The GTE stirred the pot: now the wind shield moved 200 mm forward and enabled Pininfarina to use a completely different set of ideas. I am very happy that he moved the head lights forward instead of returning to use the long nose as seen on 0851GT. Besides happy, I'm a little surpriced too; Pinin Farina usually stuck with his old ideas. I would have expected him to use the same nose design for all three cousins...

Mark's S.2 Cabrio with closed headlights is a very special car. AFAIK it is the only confirmed factory conversion and was delivered new with closed headlights. I am quite certain that Pininfarina was involved in this work and they must have been pretty happy with the result as the car seems to have been sent to Rimini Concour d'Elegance before being shipped to the customer in USA.

I do agree that the S.1 cabriolet is a beautiful car; together with 400 Superamerica Coupé Aerodinamico (funny you don't like that one!) it is the most beautiful Ferrari ever built!

Best wishes, Kare

16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Either originally built without one or later converted. By instinct my guess would be converted.

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hello Kare,

Hope all is well.

I would hardly call these experiments with design mistakes. I agree. The 0488AM is not as handsome as say, 0370AM. But neither is, say 0364AM.

Do you think that he was simply experimenting? Like in the case of 0488AM he was most likely aiming for a lower drag and in the case of 0364AM he was thinking of brake cooling (as is evident with the 1958 pontoon TR's).

I still say the man is infallible, in spite of his 400 SA Aerodynamico.

john

18. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #19 sagaponack, Dec 10, 2006
  19. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    #20 boothguy, Dec 11, 2006
    Thanks for sharing the pic of 2041GT, which according to Jeff Rowe is one of only two Series II Cabriolets to get the covered headlight treatment as original equipment - 1961GT being the other.

When my 2105GT was at the bodywork stage of the restoration process, I was considering changing it over to covered headlights, but two things dissuaded me.

One was talking to Jim Riff and Gerald Roush at a party during the Monterey weekend a couple of years ago, and them chorusing, "NO!" when I asked them if I thought to follow through with my idea to convert the headlights.

The other was seeing the SII cab shown below at Laguna Seca the next day. This car has it all: headlight conversion not done too pleasingly; front bumperettes removed; and Cal Spyder-type air vents added to the front fenders. Case closed.

If this car belongs to someone who posts here, please pardon what may seem like overly-judgmental comments, but beauty and successful modifications do seem to both be in the eye of the beholder.

Andn since the original topic of this thread was a comparison between the Cab and the Cal Spyder, here they are parked next to each other for your examination.

20. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    Should have put this reply concerning the gray cab referenced above in my earlier post. Kare's probably right about the hood being non-original, although I believe there's some conversation about whether some cars may have come from the factory with the PF Coupe-style hood. Falls into the "..well, it COULD have happened" category.

But with the other details that are funny on this car: missing/wrong footwell kick panels; seatback details; wrong style door pockets; and what's up with that early-style canister oil filter on a supposedly 1960 model car... the hood change is probably "by owner".

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Does anyone know the s/n of this S.2 Cabrio? It carried California plates "S BARBRA". Best wishes, Kare

22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

I have heard more than once that the factory produced at least one pf cab without the hood scoop.

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm actually changing my position in this. Factory built at least one S.2 cabriolet missing the hood scoop and it was photographed at the factory after completion. This car was painted in dark color and had a light colored interior. As 1805GT was originally dark blue and had tan interior, it might very well have been the car. Even if this car has its share of problems, the bonnet may very well be original. Best wishes, Kare

24. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    I believe that 1805GT was here in San Diego for some time, owned by a Mr. Chuck Schwimmer, and sold in the mid-late 1990s to an owner on the east coast. The car as I recall was dark blue with an ivory colored interior and may have had the scoop-less hood. I'll check to see if I have any more details and pictures.

Hmm... time for me to get that on-line 250 Series II Cariolet register started, if for no other reason than to keep this info straight and available to the community.