Oglethorpe Driving Society Inaugural Run | FerrariChat

Oglethorpe Driving Society Inaugural Run

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thecarreaper, Dec 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    a group of car enthusiasts has formed a new group here. today, several of us got together for a fun tour of the surrounding country roads and scenery. we traveled in a group, and took in the less traveled roads at a laid back pace.

after a 3 hour 120 mile (distance not speed!) trip, we met up at the Bonnabella Restaurant to talk cars, meet old friends and make new ones.

i had a wonderful time on the roads with friends. some of us switched cars,though i have to admit i forgot to ask or even offer!

i fell in love with the old slow GTB again today, the car had the smells and sounds that reminded me why i even mess with these old cars!
    i Highly reccommend getting together with a few cars friends and go for a drive. not so much for speed, but for the shear hell of it!

2. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Michael,

Very nice pictures! i can see how this would have been an enjoyable day for you and your friends!

Joe

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That's cool! Looks like folks parked by the side of the road near Highway 80 during the drive...

-Peter (there last week for a vintage race at Roebling)

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    If I might offer a suggestion for your next trip (being rather familiar with Savannah and the area):

Why not drive one lap of the original Vanderbilt Cup races in Savannah, from the 1910-1911 era? The race started on Waters Avenue around 46th (look for the Georgia historical marker), and one lap was roughly 46 miles. You should be able to find Dr. Quattlebaum's book at the library if no one owns a copy; from the maps in the book you can reconstruct the course and the present day roads. Some (e.g. Victory Drive) are busy, but all in all it's an interesting and historic trip. Plus, Fiat was a major competitor!

Savannah has a great history in auto racing, and too few people know about it. This might be a fun way to remember some of that history.

O.G.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Wow! Louis Wagner and David Bruce-Brown as Fiat-winning book ends! (Bruce-Brown won in the middle with a Benz)

I've got a map of the old course from the SVRA recreation a few years ago...

-Peter

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice cars, I especially like the Cobra. Looks like the weather was perfect!
    :)
    BT

7. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    Great idea to follow the Old Savannah Race Track. We did have a great time. I am not going to be so PC though. We did break a few laws. You get a bunch of guys in the country on wide open roads with no one around and yes the speeds do come up quickly! I was laughing like a teenager again. We stopped at a country store. The owner comes out to have look and tells us where a 2.5 mile run of Fresh Black top was. YE HA!!!!! He said he was there last week opening up his Harley. I really think the onlookers in this little towns we would rode through got a kick out of us as well.

I highly recommend you do the same. It was nice to get off the interstate and take a ride around.

Joe Frazar

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #13 thecarreaper, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

excellent post.

i have the souvenir program from the 1997 Dixie Crystals Grand Prix. page 11 has a passage that states the " Great Savannah Races were held from 1908-1911 , and the Vanderbuilt cup races held on November 27 , 1911. "

thank you OLD GUY for reminding me of these events! i read your post and got up and went digging for my old program, complete with ticket stubs. i have a large collection of photos i took in 35mm of the event those 3 or so days it lasted. i will need to locate the photos as well!

i would love to find out if we as a group can do something in May 2007 to commemorate both the 1997 Dixie Crystals Grand prix, and enlighten the public to the races that were held here in the early days.

i used to live on Bonaventure Road, next to the famous cemetary with the same name. there are very large, very old oak trees that still bear the scars of the cars that hit them almost 100 years ago. one corner bears a large tree where i believe the driver did not survive the crash.

i think a historical run with the support of the local Savannah / Thunderbolt communities would be super fun. there is some serious vintage metal here in Savannah. one is an award winning , very famous Alfa, as well as vintage Maseratis, and some of the rarest significant Ferraris that one your ever hope to see and hear.

Joe, i think we may have an idea to propose to Kevin and the other founding members!

one more day of work, and i am off until 2007!

michael

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So, I count three carbed 308 GTBs, two in black, on the same drive? That's impressive! Thanks for sharing the photos. -m