My Rear End | FerrariChat

My Rear End

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Five, Dec 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I'm thinking of 2 changes to the rear end of my Diablo.

I'd be interesting in hearing what anyone thinks.

Here's the back as it is today:

[​IMG]

Here's the tail light surround in black:

[​IMG]

And here's it in black with 6.0 tail lights (photoshopped in and showing it)

[​IMG]

My thoughts:

The existing tail light surround is red and it stands out as the only large red area on the car, interior or exterior. The only other place red is used is as highlights (brake lights, etc.) The cars colors are metallic titanium and black.

With them blacked out and the lights containing white, yellow and red, the eye doesn't fixate on the surround as it does in the original picture. In #2 and #3, the surround blends in and the colors in the back end match the rest of the car (black goes with black wing, red lights go with brake light on top, etc.).

Black tail light surrounds were used in a bunch of Diablos (SVs mostly it looks like). In the 6.0, they painted the surround the same color as the car.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I think that last pic looks great and would be a huge improvement to what you have now. Good luck. :)

3. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I have a red '99 roadster and I"m convinced that the red surrounds belong only my color car.

Your car needs the black or even better, CF surrounds... I'd skip the 6.0 lenses... too many reversing lights.

but then again I"m pretty conservative on mods...

-mick

4. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
  5. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Eric - I like the blacked-out surrounds, and the 6.0 tail lights. It brings more contrast to the lights.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Eric, I like the black or body-colored surrounds on Diablos.

Kinda like the non-6.0 lights though.

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I like the black surrounds... really makes the brake lights "pop" and does not fight with the color of the car (the way the current one does).

Regardless, I love your car.

Frank

8. Murciii

Murciii Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Eric,

Just go for the blackouts around the stock taillights. Looks really nice.

Ramon

9. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    They all look fine but I like the car the way it is now best.

10. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Eric,

I'd go with #2 also. It's a very clean look. I think that #3 gets a little too busy. However, regardless of which one you choose, your car will still look awesome!

11. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Eric,

I vote for #2 also.

12. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm also debating about carbon fiber gils (for lack of a better term). Here's the side profile now (thanks Martin):

[​IMG]

And here's what it would look like with black carbon fiber gils. I thought I would really like it but after seeing this.. I think I might like it as it is. I'm on the fence.

[​IMG]

Here's two fun pictures. The first is with white rims.

[​IMG]

And here's the car with spinners:

[​IMG]

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2.
    And spinners. :p

14. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Some more rims. The only ones that work for me are the Murci ones but Murci's are 18 inch vs. 17 inch Diablo. I think stock is the way to go.

Existing:

[​IMG]

w/ Murcielago

[​IMG]

w/6.0

[​IMG]

w/Gallardo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. diablo roadster

diablo roadster Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2004
    Mountain View
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The black light surround looks the best to me. I like how simple your current ones are.

I would pick the CF gills. When looking at it from the side, There is a lot of silver inbetween the spoiler and the side-mirror mount. The gills draw it together a little more while also adding some weight to the bottom area.

I like the stock rims, but I also like the SV wheels. Black with a chrome ring

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Option #2 for sure.

Black surrounds with STOCK lights. The other lights (option 3) are WAY too busy and will detract from the car......

I would keep the carbon fiber off your car. It is a Diablo. The most exotic looking car possibly ever made. You don't need carbon fiber.....IMO

17. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
  18. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    #2 or #3 both are huge improvements. Classy way to update wo looking over the top. Put the spinners on however, and I will need a bucket to throw up in.

19. def

def Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think #2 does look pretty good. The CF sides look good too! Not sure about the rims though :D

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    DO THE SPINNERS!!! THEY KEEP ON SPINNIN!!!

21. Murciii

Murciii Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    I wouldnt do the CF and keep the stock wheels. These cars look best when theyre all original.

22. AutoXer

AutoXer Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Eric, always thought it is a beautiful car. I would go with option #2 also and 18" rims. It would look awesome!

23. tvismr2

tvismr2 Rookie

Jun 11, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    My $.02

I think the red surround looks fine, but I really dig the black with your tail lights, so I say go with the black surrounds.

I actually like the look of your lights over my friends 6.0
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/tvismr2/Pauls%20Lamborghini/L5.jpg
    I just like the straight red and amber better.

The C/F louvers are a nice touch, and really tie in the C/F wing.

..... and I really like the look of the Murcielago wheels on your car.... or the spinners bahah jk.

6.0 wheels are cool too though. (Next to my POS :p)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/tvismr2/Pauls%20Lamborghini/L7.jpg

24. dexter

dexter Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Dexter
    Hello Eric,

my 2 cents..

Black surround or cf ; no 6.0 tail lights.

original grill.

rims.. I'm thinking about murci roadster wheels on it. Can you photoshop that with the roadster?

25. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    The opinion on the surround seems to be pretty universal that the tail light surround should be black or clear carbon. I agree.

On the carbon on the gils, I agree with Martin that it does tie the car together but I also agree with everyone else that its probably best to keep it as is. With the black, it looks a bit more like a racer than a "looker" and the car is more of a "looker" than a racer. So, I think I'll just leave that as is.

For the 6.0 taillights, I'm still on the fence. The white/yellow matches the front turn signal which is white/yellow. The other one is just red, as is the existing one. There is a blue roadster locally that has them and it looks OK. The comments are good, though (and its an easy swap in any case).

I looked at aftermarket exhausts too but because the car isn't a racer, I'm leaving that as is. On the interior, I'm looking at putting in a 6.0 interior light instead of the standard roadster interior light. But the size is different and so I'll have to see how that would go.

Also, the door handle insides are scuffed a bit (all diablos get that) and so I'm probably going to have carbon fiber ones put in. You can't see them so its not a visual change. And the side of the seats, I'll probably get that in carbon fiber. You can't see it from the inside, you can only see it when looking down into the car from the outside and the sills are carbon fiber so it goes with those.

I'm not getting a carbon fiber interior because I like the stock leather/black look. I'm toying with the idea of changing the climate control to a 6.0 climate control but that might require some electronics work and I found a guy who has worked on those a lot and want to see what he thinks about it.

Dexter, do you have a straight side shot of your car? It's better if I do a photoshop of your car itself since it won't be as easy to see if its on my car. I looked around on Martin's site and found a couple photos of your car but couldn't find a straight side shot.