Enzo Question. | FerrariChat

Enzo Question.

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by nanodan430, Jan 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nanodan430

nanodan430 Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta Can
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    If someone buys a Ferrari Enzo. Can you purchase one with electric windows and a stereo? If not Can you instal them? Or let an expert do it? Just a question cause I watched a top gear episode on the Enzo and Jeremy Clarkson said it had no stereo or electric windows.

But whats weird is when the Stig took it for a lap on the test track, He was listining to music in the Enzo.

Could someone help me out and shed some light on this question?

Thanks F-Chat ;)

Dan(nanodan430)

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Well Ferrari is just looking to cut costs for their budget-minded buyers ;)

The stig listens to his ipod under his helmet. . . b/c the stig is the man.

3. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    would think adding a stereo is doable, but as for electric windows...why? they were left out to save weight...as was a stereo...

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    not just weight, but power as well. proper supercars like the Enzo, Mac F1, F40...have none of those

5. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The McLaren F1 had both power windows and a stereo, but still weighed in at almost exactly 500 pounds less than the Enzo. :)

= = = = = =

I'm sure someone could find a way to adapt power windows to the Enzo, but why? They wouldn't improve the driving experience.

There was one set of photos of an Enzo I recall seeng here which had a rather extensive custom stereo system fitted. I bet someone here will have those to post or you may be able to search and find them yourself.

With the money it takes to afford an Enzo, I am sure that if an owner chose to do so, they could certainly find someone willing to install either of the things you mention for a price.

>8^)
    ER

6. stocky

stocky Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Bolton , England.
    Full Name:
    Andy
    yes those pics of the enzo with a stereo setup may be in the uk section , it was at an event organised on pistonheads.com i think at a place called virginia waters , the red enzo was from monaco and had an incredible sound system installed , i think i would prefer to listen to the exhaust.........

7. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I think the hand crank thing for the windows is pretty nifty looking anywho.

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    To add electric windows you would probably have to install new door panels that could fit the window motors.
    It's all doable for the right price.

9. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I heard that McLaren contracted Kenwood (at least I think that it was Kenwood) to make a Stereo for the F1 and then had them redo it because it came in too heavy.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #10 Napolis, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Installing a Nono was no big deal, works very well, and doesn't add much weight.

Anything can be done. I put a Stereo and electric windows into my Lola.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, i remember, watching 5th Gear and Tiff said the F1 had no radio....

anyways, just remember folks, Schumi and Todt's have both power windows in their Enzos.

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan

You are correct. The original unit that Kenwood came up with weighed 37.5 lbs. Gordon Murray would only accept half of that amount of weight. So Kenwood made one that only weighed 18.7 lb. That must include the speakers too I would assume.

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    No radio as in AM/FM (although some owners have had one fitted), but each F1 road car and the F1 GTs came fitted with the excellent lightweight system developed by Kenwood as described by tfazio.

It did include the speakers. Kenwood developed some very special speaker magnets made of aluminum that had iron particles embeded to allow them to be magnetized.

>8^)
    ER

14. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I love the V12 sound behind my head just as much as anyone else, but if you happen to be an owner in LA or NY and are cruising around the streets, IMO I would appreciate a stereo to listen to some music from time to time.

And whats this BS about losing performance?? A Stereo system (speakers, deck and amp) can weigh max 20 lbs, unfortunate to take .01 seconds off your lap time from Starbucks to Office Depot.

15. nanodan430

nanodan430 Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta Can
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yes I saw some pictures of an enzo with a stereo. and another one with a GPS. ( thats pretty stupid) on F-chat. But I just saw a video with a guy who put in a stereo in an enzo. He put the system on the passenger side of thr center consule where the start engine button is using velcro. And using blue tooth technology, he put lightweight magnetized speakers in between the driver and passenger seat without wires all over the place.The magnets are strong so if he goes aroung corners fast they don't slip and slide.

And when he wants to take them off. He takes out the system and the speakers come off fair bit easy. But they come off.

So no ruining your enzo doors or panels to make room for big loud stereos. Just simple, easy, very light so no ruining speed.

So I guess that answers my question. Yes it can be done. But you have to know what you're doing before you do it. Respect the car and not just your needs. Go for something easy and affordable.

( now that just leaves me to go buy a Ferrari Enzo. lol)

Thanks F-chat

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #16 Napolis, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A GPS is stupid why? After a day of track testing I drove P 4/5 into Paris for dinner. As I haven't driven in Paris for 30 years I found it very useful. I also found the GPS to be useful on the track as we'd been advised to keep her below 200 MPH on the banking and I wanted to make sure the speedo was accurate.

17. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    yeah, as Jim said, they GPS is very useful. I doubt that you are going to embark on a cross country trip in an Enzo (not a bad idea though!), but it can tell you the fastest speed you hit on a track if you need to keep your eyes on the road.

18. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    The first photo is awesome. Looks so good up on the edge like that.

19. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Jim, out of morbid curiosity, how acurate did you find the speedo approaching speeds near the 200mph mark?

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was pretty accurate. Remember we had to reprogram a number of things due to different wheel tire combo and Pininfarina got it right.

21. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    Back to the topic, I like the manual windows-its kinda fun, granted leaning over to the passenger side isnt, i awalys drive mine with the windows down the way the air passes over the car it isnt much louder than having them up.

A iPod like Jim did is the plan if you want music, personally I dont so I'm cool with it they way it comes. In my Lambos I upgrade the stero's as much as possible, but I drive them on longer runs etc,

22. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    i always thought the manu's of these supercars claimed they were supposed to be 'focused' machines, hence the desire to strip out unnecessary items, that weren't 'absolutely' necessary...even if it only added minimal weight...

todays speakers can be very light by the way, using better/newer and or more exotic components... one of the best sounding and pounding subwoofers out there right now uses Neodymium magnets. it weighs less than 20 lbs. a 'typical' ferrite magnet high end subwoofer of that caliber can weigh 50-300 lbs. this kind of stuff wouldn't be desireable in supercars i would think.

23. beckerto

beckerto Rookie

May 8, 2004
    there are TWO enzos with electric windows that came from the factory:

Schumis enzo and Todts (the red one) enzo

24. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    I would guess that Pininfarina is the best place to go to when adding things like these to a Ferrari. Or is it?