Smog Check recommendations? | FerrariChat

Smog Check recommendations?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Bruce, Jan 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Any one have any recommendations for getting a smog check for my 355 in the Menlo Park/Redwood City area? My registration renewal says that I have to take it to a "Test Only" center.
    Bruce

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I actually called Brian Crall and posed this question to him, and recieved some valuable information. For starters, ALL Ferraris must get smogged at "test only" stations, which means you cannot take your car to Brian or the dealers to get them smogged. However, I have also heard (on a thread from here, not from Brian) that, if you do not perform the smog check right (i.e., know what you're doing with these cars), it's easy for the smog check to fail, which goes on the Carfax report (which doesn't look good). So, what are we to do?

There has to be *someone* from NoCal who has had their Ferrari smogged...

3. ethans_dad

ethans_dad Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephen R Chong
    Bruce:
    Although not in MP, Berkeley Smog Test Only Station is not too far of a drive. I have been taking my car there for years and they are really careful with the cars. They can be reached at 510-549-2355. Ask for Herman.

Best of luck.
    Steve

4. pdevivo

pdevivo Karting

Sep 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    PD
    I've had my '87TR to a couple of Smog Test only locations - one in Berkeley and one in El Ceritto - just picked them because of an available appointment and have had no problems. The specs for the TR were in the computer and it passed. Didn't look for anyone with "Ferrari" experience.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Whatever you do, stay away from the AAA facility in San Jose.

I spent an hour while they ran the car (99 355F1 with NA Performance headers) on the rollers, only to be told that my car will not communicate with the computer. Then they told me they had problems with another Ferrari.

I took it to Brian who checked it out on the SD2, then across the street from his shop to a Smog Pro.

It passed with no problems

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well then that's what I'm going to do when the time comes. Take the car to Brian, wait for him to give the thumbs up, then take it across the street.

7. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    all this info is super helpful - thanks so much...

the 612 didn't get smogged before it was sent to me...bummer...

i've got to take it in to get my reg/title...

appreciate the tips so much!!!

cheers

john

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For reg purposes any smog center will do. Biannual inspections will need to be done by a test only station.

9. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Indeed, I got the "Test Only" notification on my renewal. A couple of months back I had to do the same with my MBZ. The guys at the local test station seemed to do OK, but then again they didn't seem like the sharpest knives in the drawer either.
    Since the test results go automatically to the DMV in Sacramento, one wouldn't want someone who'd never seen a Ferrari up close before to be trying to smog test it.
    Bruce

10. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean

Pardon my ignorance, but why not?

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some people flip out for God knows what reason if a car has a report of a failed smog on the Carfax report. For one thing Carfax is so inaccurate I never pay it any attention. I have seen cars made with Bondo and painted by Ray Charles with a roller that checked out clean on Carfax. And who really cares if it failed a smog 5 years ago because some nitwit tested it with a cold motor and failed it? What matters is the last smog.

Carfax is the carbuyers enemy. All it does is provide a false sense of security.

12. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    If you're worried about failing a smog test, you can run the test at the smog station as a test and it will not go to Sacramento. I do this with my 288 GTO, the trickest Ferrari I own to pass, before hooking it up for the official smog test. Some Ferraris, like F355s, like being really warmed up to pass. Some, like the 512TR, pass with flying colors with the just the pre-cats connected (at least my did). Still others, like the carb 308, you pray to Gods that it will pass..... Or, at least with some carb 308s.

I prefer to get the car warmed up, and drive it right on in and hook it up. Catalysts work much better when warm. Not to mention engines run better, and cleaner, when warm. Cats, or no.

Steve

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    My experience is that the car is going to pass or fail on its merits if the technician is competent and the car is warmed up to operating temperature. Doesn't matter where you take it. Do you get coupons for $5 off in the mail? I paid a bunch of money to Italian Car Parts to get the CA emissions sticker that was missing from my engine compartment. No problems since I filled that little gap. Before then, they would scratch their heads for 20 minutes and then tell me they couldn't test the car. Affixing a new cat works wonders, too :)

14. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Well, I ended up taking my car to the smog test only station on Woodside Road and El Camino (not too far from 5 Point Tire, on the other side of El Camino). Anyway, the guy on duty last Sunday (Norman) seemed to know what he was doing. There was some issue of getting my car to talk to his computer via the ODB connector to read RPMs, but he just connected another cable to a spark plug wire and we were good to go. Apparent some guys in the shop don't like to do exotics as there can be some minor issues that require some thought to resolve, and some cars are not listed in their manuals, but I lucked into a guy who likes cars and seemed to know what he was doing.
    I did get the car nice and warm before going in (but,hey, going for a drive in the Ferrari is not a problem) and passed all the emissions tests with wide margins to spare.
    Bruce

15. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Smogged by '85 QV yesterday. CO emission was recorded at 0. So should I apply for one of those carpool stickers since I drive a zero emissions vehicle?

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Ferrari of San Francisco has a recommended station they use for their clients to SMOG test.

Can't remember the stations name but call Ted or Kevin at FSF/service and they'll give you the local station.

Also, AAA scheduled me for a test then when I got there told me they don't do exotics [Santa Rosa station], which forced me into a 'oh, no....another Ferrari side step'.....

Failed test on CARFAX means nothing: it's history
    What matters is what the car is doing now.

17. Copperhead Viper

Mar 21, 2007
    San Jose,CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like Shill said, It really helps to have car warmed up. I had a car I knew would barely pass. I ran it hard for a 20 minute drive, got it nice and warm and made sure the place could take me right in, I pulled in nice and hot and it passed. The guy told me barely,which was the same as last time I smogged it.

So make sure you have to drive a little ways to get there and also even leave it running when you pull up to shop.