So why Are F-car owners percivned as pricks? (my weekly rant) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So why Are F-car owners percivned as pricks? (my weekly rant)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mambodave, Feb 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Agreed. Burger King does flame broil...and that Texas Whopper is amazing!! When I ordered mine they put too much sauce on it....so I had to follow the Manager home and beat down his family. LOL!! I am kidding....or am I. ;) :)

2. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Posts like yours? ...Diatribes against the less fortunate which appear to have been first-drafted in crayon and edited by an illiterate middle school glue sniffer?

3. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    Joe Pesci said it best:

"They f*** you at the drive thru!"

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I got a parking ticket in Toronto and just before I drove away, I left the ticket under the wiper of a 360. Three or four days later I called in and the ticket was paid.

So Ferrari owners aren't pricks, they just aren't bright.

Now compare both of out stories. You got onions on a burger from a kid and fought with him and the manager and that somehow makes Ferrari owners pricks? Or hard workers?

You story makes as much sense as mine.

Yeah yeah people can be stupid but it doesn't have anything to do with high end cars.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think "first-draft" is equal to "final-draft" to Mr. Man here.

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm with Opus on this one...certainly agree with the original post in principle, but it is a bit ironic blasting all the incompetence around us with grammar and punctuation like that.

Personally I would never send back a burger for that reason - scrape them off and move on. Complaining may make you feel better but it won't magically turn the employee, establishment, or franchise around.

In my brief F-car experience, their owners are not much different from any other marque. I know pricks that own all sorts of cars!

7. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    lol, about the burgers, i heard a saying yesterday that military men like to use: is this a hill you want to die on? i'm a nice guy, and very rarely do i argue when something goes wrong, especially at a place like mcd's. however, i'm still working out something that a certain electronics store, cc, screwed up on me. it' been 2 years, i know i'm in the right, and nothing has come of it yet, but i'm not done yet.

about the initial question, i've met a ton of ferrari owners, the vast majority have been nice, but some have been the kind that's like this: you aren't worth 10 million? why am i talking to you? i wonder if the question would have been better posted, why with money comes arrogance? i've talked to hundreds of owners, not just f-car but lambo, roller, and bentley, and i've seen it come up most with rolls royce, where some owners don't want to take the time to talk to you, even if it's not about their cars. however, i've met enough roller owners to not stereotype this to them, because many rolls owners are incredibly nice. i think a lot goes into the fact that they are hard working individuals, that generally don't have a lot of free time on their hands, especially during the weekdays, and simply are work oriented, which is fine by me, so long as they are doing a good job at what they do.

8. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    How do you explain to the Fcar virgins that you're holding up the parkade lineup to get the right angle of departure so you don't rip off the front bumper? Or that you want to self-park with the valet for valid reasons. Or that it's NOT OK for their little precious 5yr old still in diapers to stand in your car for just a little picture without asking. Or for Grandma at 250lbs to sit in your car at a car show for a picture without asking. Or not accepting the parking spot under the maple tree (that drips small spots of sap everywhere). or why you're letting the car idle for 10 minutes in a crowd of people before having to exercise the car at an event. Or not understanding that "slap that b*tch" is a complement from the street guys. Or drive aggressively to get away from the dump trucks and semi sandwiches.

Jeez - surprised we're not hung and quartered sometimes.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm a Ferrari Owner and I am not a prick!

I would agree that people who have lots of money think they are better than everybody... I've been fortunate in my life, and unfortunate, being fortunate is better! - but just cause you have more money is no reason to treat people like ****..... I see it every day... the guy who wrote this thread most likley thinks this way... and like Richard Nixon said " only when you are down in the lowes lows, can you really appreciate the awsome hights of glory" ... perhaps he has never been in the lowest of the low... and only has seen the heights of glory.... but it will hit him one day... cause when you are ready to die... wheather you are worth a billion or 2 cents ... drive a hyundai or a Ferrari ... nobody cares then!

I used to be a real bastard... and now see the error of my ways... so I've been trying to be nicer, and more understanding... so if they get your hamburger wrong at McDonalds - paragon of cuisine - its just as easy to say I'm sorry I thought I asked for no onions... please... or if the para leagle got it wrong... who trained her, which Attorney sitting on the lofty heights spend even 2 miliseconds making sure the staff are trained???? ... so I think the reason we have what we have in todays world... is the rich are thinking about being richer.. and the poor are thinking about being rich... nobody cares if there are onions or not on your burger!

Spiro-T

10. Jet911M3

Jet911M3 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have worked with people that work as hard as anyone on this earth that aren't rich and won't ever be. They were not born fortunate and/or didn't have the skill or insights to invest well, start a company, or move up the ladder. Equating Ferrari ownership to hard work is pompous and plain wrong. People who have worked hard, became very successful, and moved to Ferrari ownership should be proud, but they are dead-wrong to cast negative stereotypes on those with lesser incomes and automobiles. The original poster is misguided and obviously sees the world through different glasses than most people.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have heard from my Porsche, Lambo & Lotus freinds how stuck up Ferrari people are. I have not seen that. I have seen quite a few very accomplished professionals that through hard work and brains did well. When you meet or talk to them that confidence shows through and yes some of them are intense. Thank god for these type of people. They make our system work. The 90% of use owe our standard of living to these 10% of the doers!

The other group is the "trusty babies" that inherit a little money but do not have the backbone their father or mother had to be sucessful in a tough world.

I get alot of people say to me "must be nice to have this or that". It really irks me. if you are to dumb to know that your job, the one you choose will not support a particular life style, who is the dumb one. Get a profession or better yet a backbone and work 7 days a week!

I hear this crab from freinds and wannabies all the time and i have only met very nice ferrari people some very accomplished which makes for great conversations.

I like hamburgers also :)

lee

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    When someone approaches me to ask me something about my car I feel like it would be very easy to say the wrong thing and come across like a knob and get labeled. It could just as easily happen in any other car but im never in that position in a pick up truck, not too many people are overwhelmed by it so the potential to get labeled isnt there.

The first time I met my neighbor about a week after moving in beside him he came up the driveway and asked me if I won the lottery. That was how he introduced himself. How do you respond to that without looking like a goof and getting labeled? I just said they're cheaper than you think and since then I dont really talk to him. Im probably the one that looks like the goof but in reality he is and he'll never know it.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We went on the Ferrari Challenge Rally from Tahoe to Pebble in 2003. this was a good way to observe people's behavior under stressful conditions. It was very competitive for those who chose to take it seriously.

There were 50 Ferraris and their owners with navigators on the rally.

Just about everyone was a type A, anal retentive type. Most were very nice people. Some were just great, world class.

Unfortuneately, there were about 5 on the rally (10%) who were very rude, arrogant, pushy and obnoxious. Also, they would pass on double yellow lines on 2 lane winding roads putting all of our lives in danger. If they thought you didn't have enough money, a fast enough car or expert driving skills, you were treated like a bug. If their time was late on a rally segment, they were furious and took it out on the wait staff as well as everyone else.

(I don't think there were any rally'ers that were under 30. I heard that a gal who was engaged to a driver and acted as navigator walked out the second day. Too much pressure. Wonder if they ever got married, but we doubt it.)

The guys with the best cars (Enzo, California Spider) were the nicest people. Always had time to talk and share. :)

Unfortuneately, it's the obnoxious ones that get all the attention and give the rest of us a bad name. People usually "assume" that my car is worth about double it's true market value. They look at Ferrari owners as super rich and are looking for Ferrari owners to put them down in some way. Knowing this predisposition, one should go to the extreme to be nice and friendly. As my folks always said, "It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people and you never know what good things can come of it. If you are nasty, it will cost you some how some way." That karma will bite you in the *ss every time.

Ciao
    Phil Not Hill aka Dr. Phil
    Life is too short not to own a Ferrari and be an F1 race fan.
    Now, go take on the day.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Perfectly said Phil.

Lee

15. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger
    What did the pricks drive? 348, 355. Something that just gets them in the (ferrari) door.

16. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I think in general people that are jealous of others with more money than them have to resent them on some level. I mean, sure you know others might be more well off than you, but when you see a Ferrari and it's in your face like that it can stir up some emotion, especially if they are really struggling to make ends meet.

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The worst driver had a red 348 Challenge car with advertising decals all over it. It was all set up for racing. Lowered, everything. He was very wealthy. Ferrari borrowed his truck and racing trailer to haul our luggage for the rally. He acted like he was the only one on the road who knew how to drive. He sat with the Ferrari NA honcos at dinner and they treated him like royalty.

there was a guy who was supposedly the financial advisor to Oprah Winfrey. At the first drivers and navigators meeting he was critiqueing the rally book (pointing out the typos) and basically telling the rally master from England how to do his job. It was ridiculous. My wife and I were embarrassed. He was in his 40s and had a silver 360 spider. What an *ss.

We had a gal who was a professional Hollywood stunt driver. One of the best drivers I have ever seen. Asways safe, but fast as hell. very nice. I remember she had very big earrings if you get my drift. (she was stacked - I can't remeber her face except she was nice looking). She had a red 355 Berlinetta with a stick shift.

We met a married couple who were both dentists from S. Calif. World class nice people. they had a red 512 TR.

Also a couple from Wash state with a red 550 Barchetta were very very nice.

The guys with the older Ferraris were the nicest on the road. their tires and horsepower were no match for the newer cars. Their narrow tires, marginal brakes and old suspension just are so way behind recent Ferraris. these guys would always let you pass. Very safe and very protective of their sheet metal. They were beautiful cars in fantastic shape. Always willing to share what they knew. I remember a father and son team that were world class nice people.

We were in our red 355 F1 GTS. I like to drive fast, but if I hit anything I would never forgive myself. I would say 7/10ths max.

Like I said, most of the people were very very nice.

Hope this helps.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah those losers. Those guys actually have to maintain and repair their cars.

Britney and Dr. Phil drive 360s. Wish we could all be real tifosi like them. :(

19. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    I couldn't agree with you more. Everybody started from nothing and they are the one's who pick their path to success.

Some people choose to do drugs and waste their money on a bunch of crap; on the other hand, succesful people work their way up to the top. Its just the way other people think that makes them more succesful than others.

20. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Bullfighter:

Nice looking 308 GTS

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

I dont think I have ever read anything this guy wrote where he didnt come off as a jerk. What a frickin cheap skate. He probably did this right in front of his GF or dad or somebody. Mr. responsibility eh?

Anyway, I grew up on the bad side of the tracks, rather poor to be honest. Everything I seen people have they had to bust thier a$$ for. They were pricks with a capital P if you messed with them, touched thier stuff, messed with thier car, or asked stupid questions. And they wouldnt think twice about bustin your face either. You learn respect around people like that.

I have met a lot of Ferrari owners. All I have met are real outgoing people if you act decent and appear to have your head screwed on correctly. I dont believe I act any differently.

And beach about a burger? I used to sit in quiet desolation no matter what I got, until my buddy opened a whopper box one time and found the bottom bun. Just the bottom bun, nothing else. They dont have time to jizz on your food at BK, so if they mess up your burger, go *****atum. And stand there and watch em while they make it. Its my money. If someone is going to charge me to eat thier food, it better be edible.

Now Billybob and his 8 freakin snowmachines he yanks around with his sub urban, he thinks I'm a rich prick for owning a pos 308? And hes sittin on $40K worth of sleds his mother in laws co-signed? LOL.

22. HAC

HAC Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Knoxville, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Hugh A. Cornell
    I don't consider myself rich by any means. I started my own business 20 years ago, worked my butt off and last spring bought my first and probably only Ferrari. A very nice 92 512TR My friends don't treat me any different because they know my story. But I live in a very small town, and get some wierd reactions from different people. I think half the people in town think I must have won the lottery or am a drug dealer. But then again alot of the same people have the brand new Dodge Pickup with the Superbee wing on the back. 3 4wheelers 2 Dirt Bikes and $10,000 worth of NASCAR memorabelia. So they probably have alot more money tied up than I do. Especially when you add the cost of their 8 kids. I guess sometimes when you drive a Ferrari these people automatically think that you have tons of money and they resent it. But they are the same ones that work at the same job for $8.00 an hour, ***** about how much they hate it, and will work there the rest of their life. So I guess sometimes you are just a prick whether you are or not.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks! Actually a 328 - the door handles give it away. In black the 328 and Euro 308 can be hard to distinguish.

24. Randy Harris

Randy Harris Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    R.C. Harris
    Honestly I've no axe to grind here. I don't own an F car and probably never will (I'm a classic Brit iron kind of guy). But I love all things Ferrari and have spent much of my adult life drooling over their sheer beauty and performance-driven design. And I have found this forum to be hugely enlightening and entertaining.

Please people, take no offense at this, but I have to say that despite the seemingly rational and friendly responses from most of the posters here, the impression that I am taking away from this thread and bunches of others is that not only are many Ferrari owners rather taken with themselves, they are in deep denial about their attitude and take no ownership for their rude behavior. Entitlement seems to be a word that pops into my head here.
    Whether it's on the grass, at a restaurant valet stand or in a parking lot in town, whenever I have approached a Ferrari owner I have been met with condescending attitude and a "don't bother me, I'm busy" look.

I could buy and sell many of these guys before breakfast, as could many of my friends. But in my car world, the prestige is placed not in what you paid for your ride, or how gorgeous the blonde sitting next to you is, but rather the passion you feel for the car and it's custodianship. I couldn't give a hoot how much anyone paid for their ride. At our forums there is very little talk about money, except when we're talking about restoration. I hate it when people ask me how much my cars are worth. Here there seems to be a lot of conversation about "success" (whatever that is), finances and material acquisition. Hey, it's a public forum, so that's ok I guess, but it does speak to the issue.

I know that the majority of F car owners are hard working and very nice people who deserve to drive the car of their dreams. But in my perspective, and that of many non F car owners, they just aren't approachable. I'd be more inclined to F car ownership if I thought that I could enjoy not only the car but the comraderie of other F car owners. We're just too different I guess.

Again, no offense intended. Just my 2 cents.
    Randy

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    MY thoughts are that the contemporary owners are generally normal guys. I think the owners of the classic cars may have started this rumor. One time in Toronto I was looking at a guys classic black F car and the guy was an overwhelming prick. I guess he was a hot shot with the best car or two around and he was royalty. I was an F car owner too but he was just above the rest of us. I think he looked down on the contemporary guys as driving fords.