Amazing super-car comparison... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Amazing super-car comparison...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheBigEasy, Dec 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im really more impressed by the 599 than the VW Tdi.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Me too, the 599's magazine reviews all try and explain how fast of a car it is, but I haven't accepted it until seeing this. I really really would like to be able to drive one... :cool:

3. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    that's what i was getting at...and those ridiculously powerful supras and the like...scary:)

4. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Oy-Veyron.....that's fast! :)

While this is all fun & interesting...there is one big concern: As more and more cars come onto the scene with crazy-huge power, we're seeing a sharp increase in lethal accidents. Just look at the Carrera GT, seems like it's the favorite ornament around telephone poles and chicanes.

5. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I remember a time when the lethal accidents in supercars were always caused by "a friend borrowing the car". Now, it seems like the owners of these cars don't have any restraint. When I was just17, I remember my first time on a motorcycle, it was a Hurricane 1000 and after half an hour, I had it up to 160 mph on a two-lane road. To this day, I've never ridden another motorcycle. A man has to know his limitations (Eastwood in Dirty Harry?).

6. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    What? little exaggeration i think.

7. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    The whole supercar thing has kinda gotten outa hanmd on several fronts
    - Bugatti Veyron (far too heavy, over powered!!, What Am I Saying, and more a luxury GT)
    - Non road legal supercars (Ferrari FXX, MC12 Corsa, etc. what is the point)
    - People being far too precious about there favourites,

And yes I know it is out of production but I would love to see a test with the following cars both top speeds, acceleration but also around the track and road driving comparo.

- Bugatti Veyron
    - Maserati MC12
    - Ferrari Enzo
    - Ferrari F40 or F50
    - Road legal FXX or MC12 Corsa (dream on)
    - McLaren F1
    - Aston DBR9S
    - Porsche Carrera GT or GT1
    - Mercedes CLK-GTR
    - Toyota Gt-One (does this even exist)
    ????????

Know this would REALLY float my boat
    Tim

8. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I hate people who hate the Veyron. Understand it's not meant to be a pure race car. Is it faster than an Enzo? Sure. Is it meant to compete with the Enzo? No.

The Veyron is like the 550 Maranello of the Ferrari, except of a higher quality, faster, and possibly more comfortable.

What I want to see is the Veryon on the Top Gear track!

P.S. Thanks for the comparison. Pretty cool to see just how awesomely fast that Bugatti really is. An engineering marvel!

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Aston makes gorgeous cars. Why, oh why, can't they make them a little more "sport" and a little less "GT"?

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the reason they cut it off at 186 is that is 300km/hr, a euro benchmark.

this test really shows the vanquish s, and even the slr, to be completely unworthy of hype and price.

the viper, and the corvette, are once again proven to be huge bargains.

now i need to start scheming about how to get an 599 past my wife.....

11. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Why should they abandon what they do best to do what everyone else is trying to do? There aren't that many pure GT cars left. It's not all about extreme speed, but rather, spirited driving! :)

12. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Or maybe we see the sharp increase in lethal accidents because people who shouldn't drive sports cars are driving them irresponsibly? I think this is very realistically due to the extra "cash" that people have, in the form of home equity lines of credit. A lot of people who have no business driving 400+ BHP cars suddenly find that they can "afford" such monsters, et voila.

Obviously I'm generalizing and I may even be wrong, but the bottom line regardless is that fast cars need to be treated with respect and they must be learned. It's too bad so many people are ruining beautiful cars, not to mention getting hurt or even dying.

13. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Using the Veyron as the new benchmark (speed attained at 18.6 sec.), it would be interesting to see them go back and test all the forementioned super/exotic cars of recent years, and perhaps even others, and plot them on a poster. Such a graph would grace many walls!:)

14. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Don't get me wrong I dont hate the Veyron, I am not sure of the idea that's all I can understand it as a luxury GT, a very VERY FAST ONE, but everyone on F-chat is gonna compare it to Enzo etc. that's natural. Otherwise I guess this would be Bugatti chat instead

Timmmy

15. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I think that all of those cars, apart from the Aston and the Viper would be as fast as the Veyron around the Nordschleife, and the 599 and SLR would probably be a lot faster........

16. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think the best stat is 124 mph in 7.4 seconds. 0-60 in 7.4 is not too shabby for a regular people hauler. Holy smack, that car would be hard to not go to jail in.

17. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I doubt that, yes its overweight but it has 1000hp and AWD and from what ive read it handles and brakes very well for its size, in the hands of a capable driver I would say the Veyron would up there with them, maybe a mid 7:30. Even if it got outbraked and outhandled, its tremendous acceleration would help it

18. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    I believe that it's been stated and stated again by various drivers that the Bugatti is actually surprisingly nimble. Anyway, AWD and 1000hp/922tq--

One of those japanese drift kings should try and take it around the Nordschleife!!!! I'd pay $50 to see that...

19. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

This needs to be done. I would do more of a test along this line:

Über Wagen

-McLaren F1
    -CCX
    -Enzo
    -MC12 Versione Corse
    -S7 TT
    -Zonda F ClubSport
    -Veyron

Sport

-Exige
    -M12
    -Z07
    -GrandSport MC Victory
    -C8 Laviolette
    -V8 Vantage
    -SL65 AMG
    -M3

GT

-DB9
    -599 GTB Fiorano
    -GT
    -M6
    -CL 600 AMG

Super Saloons

-E63 AMG
    -M5
    -Quattroporte Sport GT
    -S65 AMG
    -Maybach 57S

Track

-FXX
    -MC12 GT1
    -R-GT
    -Zonda GR1
    -McLaren F1 GTR

Regards

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Step away from the mushrooms......:)

21. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Yeah, lets just be real here. Im a Tifosi to the end, but I know that the Veyron will take anything Ferrari, or anyother company has produced, without emotion.
    It is a brutal car that is limited only by its road, and driver.

Regards

22. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    There's no doubt about the Bugatti Veyron being in the first place way ahead of everybody.

23. jamjarman

jamjarman Rookie

Feb 21, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Tony Rackley
    My mate just took delivery of his veyron, he says it is so easy to drive and scarey fast! Compared to his old enzo, well there's no comparison!
    He has the red and black, he says that it is in constant contact with paris and they call you when the car is low on fuel?

24. alin13

alin13 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Aston will be way behind, Viper probably like wise. I'm sure Viper, 911 Turbo, SLR all did it in 7:40s, and unofficially, the fastest time for Veyron is meant to be 7:40. As for 599, no idea really, but i doubt it will be faster than Veyron.

For me, the most amazing is 911 GT3, it can go under 7:50 and keep up with the above mentioned supercars, despite having much smaller engine and power output.