Sub-32k track car search | FerrariChat

Sub-32k track car search

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by iceburns288, Feb 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Looking for a track car that costs less than 32k. A car that costs a LOT less than 32k would be nice ;). I'm really looking for a street car that I can turn into a track car, not a Spec Miata or 944 Cup-spec car. Here is the deal: the car would not be a track-only car, it would just get plenty of track time in the summer months.

I'm looking for a car that I can at least partially strip (but it'd be nice if I didn't have to) and put in a half-cage (driver's head back) and harnesses and hopefully retain the stock belt hardware. The ideal weight would be sub-2500lbs, but that's not always possible. This car is also going to be a limited daily driver (it's ok- I'm hardcore and young ;)) so it must be fairly new as I need it to be pretty reliable.

Here are some things I came up with:
    Lotus Elise-
    Pros: handles INCREDIBLY well, very light, very nimble, only needs a harness bar and harnesses to go and gets great gas mileage
    Cons: expensive to own (and buy), the closest dealership is Lotus of Durham, no top-end power

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution-
    Pros: handles very well, strong motor, easy to make good power, low ownership cost but high purchase price
    Cons: not so pretty, very 'boy-ish' image and exhaust note

Mini Cooper S-
    Pros: handles well, cheap to buy, can be made to weigh very little, and everything behind the front seats can be removed (who needs back seats?)
    Cons: front wheel drive, but that's about it

Honda S2000-
    Pros: handles well, convertible for when I drive on the street, looks good, great motor and transmission and just overall feels solid
    Cons: Low torque per weight (no matter on track, but makes a difference on the street), doesn't like to be stripped, requires expensive seats to accomodate harnesses (Recaros are the only seats that fit and they are 900 apiece)

Saturn Sky Red Line/Pontiac Solstice GXP-
    Pros: very strong motor, small size, convertible, and it's still 'new and hip'
    Cons: Finding support to get a roll bar and the right kind of seats in the car might be difficult as it's so new, pretty heavy for its size (2960lbs)

And here is what I drive now:
    Nissan 350Z-
    Pros: very strong motor, looks good
    Cons: fat (3200lbs), bloated, very soft, and horrible brakes for its weight especially on a track

I do like my car, but it's just not a very good performance car. My dad has some cars we can take to the track, but I'm sure he'd rather drive them than me! (360 Spider and 996TT) I'd like to be able for both of us to go to the track together and drive our cars because I love my dad very much and that is an experience I'd love to share with him.

Thanks for any help. :) By the way, before someone mentions the 944, trust me I had looked at them but the parts cost and reliability concerns led me away.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i would say lotus elise.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Vette Z06 or FRC very competive with not a ton of money. Small single turbo supra like 61mm cars are suppose to do extremely well with basically no turbo lag. Perhaps a 3000GT VR4 or a Dodge Stealth because there both awd. A Cobalt SS or a SRT4 are light and are easy to make a ton more horse out of. For less then 10k you could have a Formula Ford and throw a bike engine (Busa, GSXR1000, etc) engine in one that will rev to the moon and will be a blast to drive yet be as fast as a Radical if setup properly. Sub 2500lbs is very hard to do if you still want it to be a street car I think your best bet is a Formula Ford since they are extremely cheap and easy to work on.

4. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #4 TheBigEasy, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    From your list, you can pick up a used 2 liter 2000-2003 S2000 for a really low price these days. Probably half or less than half of your max budget. You can get the weight down to a reasonable level for street driving. If you've got enough storage room, get a hardtop & ditch the softop and softop motor. Take the hardtop off on those days you want sun & fun and put it back on for the poor weather conditions. Get rid of the heavy dual exhaust and get a lightweight single. Pick up a set of 16-17" Volk CE28N wheels (way lighter than stock). That combo should get you an extremely fun car dollar for dollar.

6. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile car.
    Have you tried driving a Formula Ford to school?

I like the C5Z but that is out of this contest for reasons beyond my control ;).

7. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    The Vette is more than a 1/4 mile car, it can make turns and stuff too, :p

Like what? and mine isn't a Z06.

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Im well aware that you arent looking for a drag car. A FRC cost around 20k. Supras are very competive on a race track with the IRS. But you will have a very hard time having a car youd like to drive on the street that weighs sub 2500lbs. My friend drives his Formula Ford to get pizza in ha ha. Unless you want a Honda Hatch your weight requirements will be hard to meet. Im a mustand kid myself so 3k lbs is light. But you said you have basically a limit of 30k, a Formula Ford is like what 5k? Or you could even pick up a shifer kart for cheap and still have change for a street car.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd say Mini Cooper S. It's easily modified, easily stripped, a hard top (essential for the track, IMO), and the 2006 models are readily available now that the 2007 edition is out. It fits well within your price range.

Moreover, you can definitely use it as a daily driver. It's no SUV, but there is a trunk or a back seat as needed.

The Lotus would be a close second, and I think they're a huge deal when lightly used. A lot of guys bought them, figured out they're hard to live with on a daily basis, and traded them back, so the market is flush.

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes +1, I have heard this a lot also. Those little Lotus's is not great daily drivers.

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I've heard of Elise going for as little as $27k, that's the way I'd go.

Gary

12. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Here's a race car built at Porsche's Weissach facility, that came from Porsche with factory roll cage, no ac, many magnesium parts, weighs under 2500 pounds, is street drivable, has only 10,000 miles, and will probably sooner or later sell for $30K or so. It is one of only two made. Unlike virtually any other track car, I don't see how this one can do anything but appreciate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200079228043

Note- I have nothing to do with this car or the ebay listing, but I own a similar car, the turbocharged "Turbo Cup" version http://www.ohioconcours.com/2001/pr-01-1525.jpg that I bought new from Porsche Motorsport North America twenty years ago. I've also owned a Lotus Elise Sport 190 track car http://www.ohioconcours.com/1999/s084.jpg , and I like my Porsche better.

There's a big Rennlist thread on the nine turbo cars here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=234752

I think this non-turbo car on ebay has most, if not all, of the same modifications from the factory as the turbo cupcars did http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showpost.php?p=2541679&postcount=45 . And there's a big difference between a factory race car and a track car some 18 year old has cobbed together. My car has been totally reliable on the track and street, for 20 years.

13. Ace503

Ace503 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Korben Dallas
    I would go for a a E36 M3. Get one in the 15-20k range, then put 10-15k into it. That thing would dominate

14. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    The 1/4 reference was to the Stealth and Supra comments. I heart Vettes ;). I am under 18, therefore everything has to go through my dad. His rule.
    The Elise is 1900lbs stock, the S2000 is 2800 stock, the Mini is ~2700.
    Even better the 04 and 05 Minis, even with low mileage, are in the teens. That leaves me plenty of money to do other things with the car, like save the money for expendables including tires and track day fees.
    Problem with the Mini though is that it's just not quite the same car the Lotus is. The best thing about the Lotus is that I hardly have to do ANYTHING and I can drive it to and from the track. I can also bring it to Ferrari club lunches and drives without looking terribly out of place. It really is an exotic itself.
    The only significant mod to the Lotus would be a test pipe, and that's about it.

15. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Do an E36 M w/ H&R PCS. Great track car, and an even better beginners car. An E46 325 with susp/sways would also be a great car.

16. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam Whitener
    You should look into used Mazda RX-8's. EXTREMELY fun (read: well-handling) cars, even with stock suspension. The rotary engines are a little weird at first, but once you get used to them, you start to love them.

But, I'm a little biased. :)

I'll also echo the sentiment of the beamer.

17. RarriDreamer

RarriDreamer Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Do you like american makes? Heres the cars I would look at they are older but pretty reliable {except dsm maybe lol}
    Fox body mustang
    93-02 Camaro/Firebird
    1st gen DSM go for the awd
    LS1 swapped RX7
    Audi S4

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nothing is quite the same car the Lotus is... you'd need a Ferrari F430 or similar to keep up with it in the twisties.

Yes, it's an exotic (unlike the Mini, or the Corvette, or the S2000, or the Z...) But it's a crap daily driver. Even if you're hardcore and young, climbing in and out of a leaky-topped aluminum bathtub of a car is going to get old fast. And you live in Charlotte, lovely town, but it has been known to rain on occasion.

For pure track or weekend use, Elise wins.

Get a Cooper S, certified preowned, with the limited slip. I haven't driven one configured that way, so go drive it, but supposedly it has no torque steer or other fwd b.s. I'm considering an '07 model for myself, and I hate fwd cars.

19. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    An Elise...no question.

20. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Forget all of you guys... I still say Corvette. :p:p:p

His dad won't let him get one because its faster and better than all the other cars you are suggesting because he doesn't want him to wrap himself around a tree.

When I was 16 though, I drove a Jeep Wrangler and I loved it... I still got 2 speeding tickets in it, so it's probably a good thing I didn't have a sports car at first, or you guys might not be reading my posts... :eek:

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the e36 is a good idea also. i had a 95. H&R springs with koni adjs, two piece rotors and some track tires made a fun DE car.

the mini might be a good idea (never driven one)

22. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    alot of good choices, im honda biased though, I say a earlier S2K and spend the rest of the money on a blower, suspension etc, this will overcome its lack of torque and make it much quicker

23. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    an E36 M3 sounds good to me. A higher mileage 1999 996 Porsche can be had for ~$25k. An STi would also be fun on the track. Or if you're stripping a car you could get an older WRX and pour some money into it

24. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Another vote for an E36 M3. Can get it as a 2 door or a 4 door. I drive one now that is extensively modified for track day work, but it is also my daily driver. I also track my 430, and have driven a fair number of other cars on the track. To me, there is no more intuitive (easy to drive at the limit) car than the E36 M3. There are tons of hop up parts, lots of well sorted packages.

FWIW, I could choose many cars--I choose an M3.

A few random thoughts--turbo cars have issues with heat soak when driven hard on the track--you can fix this, but it can cost big bucks. And adding forced induction to any motor not originally equipped is going to seriously shorten the life of said motor if it sees a lot of track time. Of course, you can totally rebuild the motor with forged pistions, etc. but that can be big bucks. The S2000 is seriously torque deficient (which, to me, makes it a poor daily driver). Plus, many HPDE's are starting to limit or even exclude convertibles--something to think about. Lotus is a horrible daily driver, from a practical point of view.

Edit: In addition, you need to consider what groups run track days in your area. Certain prolific clubs give preference to certain marques (so, for example, the BMW CCA in the Pacific Northwest gives first preference to BMW's).

25. CTL

CTL Karting

Jul 9, 2005
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And another vote for the E36, you can strip it down as much as you like, you're looking less than 15k for one, depending on what type of mileage/year/age you want and with another 10k you could go FI and get into the 400hp+ area if you want/need the extra power. There are a couple companies that have had some great success with a twin screw supercharger with heavy track use.
    I use my car for Auto-x mainly but will be looking to get into some track events this year, have a nice suspension set-up already and I'm pretty much set to go!