Downforce 101? | FerrariChat

Downforce 101?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cntchds, Mar 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    So I was thinking this morning about downforce. And this is what I came up with; When you are riding a bike of any sort you are told to lean into a turn. If you don't then you simply fall off no matter what other factors are involved. So then I tried to put this into terms of a car with massive amounts of downforce that take corners at over hundreds of miles per hour. It just doesn't seem to equate correctly.

So when you are going straight you have an equal amount of force pushing down on either side (+ or - the weight of the driver), but when you take a corner then the side closest to the inside of the turn will be moving significantly slower, making the outside corner have far greater downforce. Leaning toward the outside edge is exactly what we are told not to do.

So my question is; Why is it that downforce is in such great demand, if it does exactly the opposite of what any physics instructor would tell you that you want to do while taking a corner. I was going to make a diagram to show what I mean by all of this, but being on a very old computer limits my ability to make decent diagrams.

I understand the concept of grip issues and so forth. But simply by making 0 lift but no excess downforce, then the car would react with the same effect as how when you are riding a bicycle in that the inside edge would sink and the outside would rise making the corner much easier to take, and in turn more safe.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, I have never taken a day of physics so this may just be a kid's idiotic theory. It has just been bugging me all day. :)

Peter Hatch

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I am not sure that a 2-wheeled vehicle has much in common with a 4-wheeled vehicle where cornering forces are concerned.

3. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    At least someone has an opinion. ;)

Peter Hatch

4. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    'When you are riding a bike of any sort you are told to lean into a turn. If you don't then you simply fall off no matter what other factors are involved.'quote

Actually 2 wheeled are 'counter steered' not by 'leaning'.

When you 'lean' you are actually 'counter steering' by leaning you transmit pressure that turns the handle bars in the opposite direction that you are leaning.

This one of the major reasons that motorcyclists hit cars that turn in front of
    them (whether they were seen or not). The natural instinct is to 'turn away'
    and on 2 wheels that turns you into the object if you don't counter steer.

In go-karts since your weight is in the center and your mass is considerable
    part of the vehicle, leaning into the corner you do have a positive effect on
    the speed you can take the corner. By keeping more rubber on the track.

None of this has anything to do with 'down force' which is an aerodynamics,
    by the way.

stephen

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First off, a motorcycle has virtually no aerodynamic downforce. What it does have in a turn, is centrifugal force by leaning down on its side into the turn, lowering the center of gravity closer to the ground, and closer to the inside of the turn. The harder the turn, the farther the bike is leaned down, the greater centrifugal force is generated. Enough that the suspension sags down under the increased weight. Its not aerodynamic downforce, its centrifugal downforce.

In a car, there is absolutely no way to make the car lower its center of gravity, or move the center of gravity in any direction. In a car that can generate aero downforce, it generally does not take effect until speeds above 50-70 MPH are encountered. At those speeds, when manuevering around a turn, the air speed on either side of the car will still be more or less equal, and regardless, the vacuum generated under the car will be generally equal at all points.

6. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    The physics of a cornering motorcycle and car are pretty different. However, the tires respond similarly in both cases.
    A car with 0 lift does not at all react like a leaning bicycle in a turn. Not sure what the heck you mean when stating "when you are riding a bicycle in that the inside edge would sink and the outside would rise."
    Dowforce on a car increases only the downward force on the tire, which allows the tire to sustain higher cornering and/or accelerating forces. Unlike actual mass inside the car, this extra force doesn't pull the vehicle toward the outside of the turn, which would detract from the tires grip.
    I'm actually not even sure what kind of answer you're looking for here. Perhaps it would be wise for you to learn some physics?

7. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    I would have to agree with that statement. I'm really not understanding the majority of this, and the more I talk to people the less I think that I understand. But let's get down what I do get.

Since the car is one single, solid unit, the car cannot be going any faster or slower even though the track that each wheel is moving at is further or closer to the apex. And though the wheels are going at different speeds, the car is a single object.

So I made myself a diagram just so I could see visually what I'm thinking about.

So I drew myself a simple "track" 30 feet wide, with a 90 degree turn whose outer edge measured 45 feet by 45 in an L shape, each distance representing either the height, or base of the L. The inside of the "track" was 15 by 15 following the said "L" properties as stated above. Then I figured that from the outside edge, to apex, to outside edge you would probably start the turn about 67.5 feet to make what looks like a decent turn. Making the distance the outside wheels tavel 153.15 feet in comparison to a distance of 141.37 feet. This means that the inside travels only 92 percent of the distance traveled by the outside wheels.

Does this mean that the amount of downforce aquired by the inside of the car is really 8% less than that of the side further from the corner in this situation, because it is moving 8% less distance it can be assumed the other side of the car is in fact moving ~108% further meaning that it has an extra 8% of air current flowing over it forcing it that much harder towards the ground? If so, then yet again I'm confused at the fact that we have greater forces taking place on the side further out from the turn. Wouldn't this further increase the chances of flipping over since now there is centrifugal force as well as this added downforce added to the outside wheels?

I will scan the diagram tomorrow with all of the measurements written as to be easier understood, but in the most simple diagram only using keys the track looks as seen below.
    l L
    L__

Oh well. It is very possible that none of this really means anything at all. I'm just very, very confused is all.

Peter Hatch

8. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Centripetal force is what you experience in a turn. This force is provided by the pavement pushing against the tires. Since this force is applied at pavement level, which is below the center of gravity for both bikes and cars, a moment is generated about the CG of the vehicle.

When you lean into a turn on a bike, all you are doing is using gravity to generate a counter acting moment against that so you don't roll over away from the curve.

When you are in a car, the situation is very similar. If you simplified the case to think of the outside 2 wheels on the car as that of a bike. The CG of car is offset from the outside 2 wheels towards the corner. So in essense the CG of the car IS leaning into the corner like what you do on a bike.

All this has noting to do with aero downforce. Read up on high school physics and you'll understand centripetal force is a function of velocity squared over the radius of the turn. Read up first year university physics on force vectors and you'll understand how gravitational force from leaning balances out the centripetal force.

9. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    :) Thank you. It is far too late to be thinking.

Peter Hatch

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #10 Admiral Thrawn, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By shifting your weight to the inside of the corner on a bike, you also reduce the amount you need to lean the bike for a given turning radius.

By shifting weight I mean like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Two comments:

1. If you put some more realistic numbers on your numerical example (say 3g at 120 mph), the maximum possible velocity difference inside edge to outside edge is more like ~2%, and

2. (which other's have said in different ways) You're comparing an apple to an orange -- yes, the downforce might be shifted a few percent in the outboard direction on a car (and it would better if it was shifted in the other direction), but it's still far inboard of the most outboard tire-to-ground contact location. If the downforce on a car acted outboard of the most outboard tire-to-ground contact location, that would be as daft as leaning the wrong way on a motorcycle ;).

12. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    That was understandable. :)

Thank you guys. I think this cleared it up for me.

Peter Hatch

13. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    the only good reason that race cars use downforce is because Ff = mu(s) * N

namely, the force due to friction is equal to the static coefficient of friction between the road and tires multiplied by the normal force of the car.
    (we'll assume its static, and not kinetic or a mix, although a slight amount of slip will give better handling that pure static, but thats a little advanced)
    the normal force is the force the ground "pushes" back on the car, perpendicular to the road surface
    (this is used, because on inclines the gravity force changes from vertical to some angle off the vertical)

so where do all the aerodynamics come in?

downforce uses a redirection (and pressure differential) of airflow to push the car to the ground (or suck it to the ground in some cases). this increases the normal force. more normal force, as you might have guessed means more friction

but why would we want friction? doesn't that slow the car?

yes and no. as you come to a corner. you need the friction of the tires to pull you through the turn. if you were on a frictionless surface, there would be no turning at, as the front tires could not provide a side force to initiate a turn. the amount of friction required going through a turn is given by F= (V^2) / r. where F is the centripetal force as described above, v is your velocity, and r is the radius of the turn. to allow a greater V through the turn, you can increase the radius, or increase the F. increasing the F is due to friction (so more normal force or more coefficient of friction, like using race tires over street tires) or increase the radius (this is why driving the track requires knowing the "line" the "line" usually winds through the track as to create the greatest radius. come in wide, cut close and come out wide. this gives a very large radius (while keeping a relatively shorter distance all the same while)

conversely, more downforce, slows the car on a straightaway, aerodynamically; and due to the normal force increases friction in wheel bearings and such

if we solve our cornering force equation for speed and input the friction we will get something like this:

V = sqrt( r * mu(s) * N)

increasing any of those quantities will increase the cornering speed by the 1/2 power. i've explained how each of the parts of a race car can increase those three quantities.

theres the basic theoretical physics explanation.

there is however, the roll of the car due to inertial forces, which transfers weight side to side on the tires, and suspension is used to counter or reduce this. im not a suspension guru, so i wont go there. maybe someone else could explain that better than I, but that is quite advanced relative to the original post

as for motorcycles, i would have to think about it for a bit, but the posters above give a pretty good description.

hope that helps, and doesnt make anyone more confused, i know i went through it pretty fast, just re read it ;)

14. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I don't think the posts cleared it up for you. Your physics is not wrong just the application. you are thinking infinately wide car withdownforce mikes more DF at the outside than inside. Yes but a car is not infinately wide and the car is never at the center of a radius but the outside of one. So in a macro way the DF acts as if on straight line.

16. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Try this the next time you are riding your bike. Pick a straight stretch and keeping the bike verticle, take your left hand off the handle bars, now keep it off and turn the handlebars to the right as if to make a right hand turn. The results will surprize you. Will you turn right or will you turn left? The correct answer is you will turn left.
    A much different set of dynamics happen in a bike that will never happen in a car involving the leaning of the bike as a necessary part of its function.

17. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Thank you all, very much. Now I have plenty of reading to get to. I appreciate all of your help, especially those of you who have taken the time to write out their own explanations.

Once again, thank you. If anyone else has more they would like to add, I would love to hear it.

Peter Hatch