David Richards (Prodrive) expected to announce bid for Aston Martn | FerrariChat

David Richards (Prodrive) expected to announce bid for Aston Martn

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Chicko, Mar 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Aston Martins in F1, now would be exciting. If only the name Lotus could be resurected.

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I think Ford is crazy to sell the one Halo Brand that is doing well for them.

Ron, I wish Lotus was in F1 as well.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Ford is broke and will probably go bankrupt in the next two or three years.

Management believes they need to focus on making cars that people want to buy. Except for trucks and SUVs they have few that sell. It takes 5 years to develop a new car on average. They are in huge trouble.

AM is a distraction they cannot afford. We're talking survival not long range brand imaging.

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    A perfect example of Nepotism (Bill Ford) and a Pretty Boy Wanker (Mark Fields) driving the company into the ground with there lame Way Forward Program. When that Lite Weight Fields decided to get rid of the Car Guys (Theodore) and go with the Marketing people, it sure didn't help. Hopefully for Ford and the rest of the group, this new guy Alan Mullay will save that company, if not BK it is.

5. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

I think it will be fantastic if Aston Martn is owned by a pure racing/rallying company like Prodrive.. Aston Martn is the only company thats truly comparable to Ferrari in terms of products and units sold!
    Competition in the sports section is always a good thing, engineers and designers often work best when they have to stay ahead of the game. A strong Aston Martin will make for a even stronger Ferrari...

It will be intresting to see if they will use the Aston Martin banner for there F1 outfit ! On the one hand it would be a great Marketing tool, attacting major sponsors and intrest, but , there is a very high chance it could also casue for major embarssment if the team does not perform!

6. mdaj

mdaj Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    KC,MO
    Full Name:
    Mark W.
    This is very exciting.

7. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I have never been a fan of British cars but I very nearly bought a DB-9 last year. I think the current Aston Martin line-up surpass even the Ferrari line-up as the most beautiful cars on the market today.

I am sure Rihards would do a fine job running Aston Martin, I just hope they don't screw up that styling.

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Unless you're Toyota. They now have the development cycle as short as 10 months from concept to production.

http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=13432&SectionID=2

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Then it stands to reason that they should scuttle Jaguar now, a company that has only cost them money since day 1. Strange move to sell a company that's making money and keeping one that isn't.

I like the notion of Prodrive buying AM. Maybe AM's cars won't be so soft after they get their mits on 'em.

And please for the luvva monkeys, no more frikken Callum designs. That guy has been using the same crayon for way too long.

10. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

Maybe because he got it right the first time. My only complaint is that too much of the styling carried over to Jaguar, which only dilutes AM.

Still, I would take the classic lines of the AM DB-9 over the Toyota-looking F599. And don't even get me started on the Scaglietti :p

11. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I 100% agree with you, the looks and lines on the AM cars are absolutely gorgeous. Whenever I see one in person my jaw always drops at how amazing they look. It would be wonderful to see them enter into F1.

12. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Aston > Ferrari? Not in a long shot.

13. Jbuffa

Jbuffa Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Joseph Buffa
    French luxury goods maker LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA — better known as just Louis Vuitton — has won an auction to acquire Aston Martin from Ford, according to a German news report.

14. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

yeah, i saw a rumor of this a while ago! still no word from aston or LV ! But it looks like its the real deal, so to speak hehhee

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Hey, Joe! Welcome to last month:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/01/scoop-louis-vuitton-buys-aston-martin/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/02/motor-trend-aston-martin-sold-but-maybe-not-to-lvmh/

Let me help you get up to speed:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/08/aston-martin-sale-almost-a-done-deal-prodrive-founder-in-the-le/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/09/aston-martin-about-to-sell-for-just-870-million/

You're welcome!