Top Gear GT500 tail lights | FerrariChat

Top Gear GT500 tail lights

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by agup48, Mar 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I don't know why I keep noticing tail lights. First its the NOBLE now the GT500. This was on Top Gear, so maybe a British regulations thing, but why is the middle light all white on the tail lights. Some one care to explain?

2. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I think something is wrong with the video. I can't post the pictures. Sorry guys, I googled and googled and couldnt find alternatives. If you want i can try to find you the GT500 video.

YAAAAY-I found the video for you guys since my stupid pictures wouldn't work.
    Here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8BbXZN0Gkv4
    Time at 2:30 Has a good shot at what I am talking about.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I dont see what your talking about. What car do the exactly belong to?

4. ssmith2k3

ssmith2k3 Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    I see what you mean about the rear lights. This is what I found about requirements but I am not sure it answers this question:

MOT Light Conversion All vehicles built after 1 April 1981 must have a fog light, mounted at the rear of the vehicle, centered to the right hand side of the vehicle. Also, the light control switch must light up when the fog light is on and must be seen from the driver’s seat.

Parking lights must be white, not amber. The headlights in the UK are angled differently than in the States because of driving on the other side of the road. It is suggested that the re-aiming of your lights be done when you arrive in the UK.

All vehicles built after 1 April 1986 must have a side repeater. A side repeater is a separate turn signal in the fender that can be seen from the driver side door. In most cases this means drilling holes in the fender of approximately 3/4 inch. Wraparound lights may substitute for the side repeater in some models.

All rear turn signals must flash amber, and must not adversely affect any other light (brake light, parking light). Very few American vehicles meet the standards for light requirements in the UK. The price for a light conversion costs from $185 - $250, depending on the vehicle
    www.mildenhall.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061010-045.doc

5. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I don't know what you are talking about.

Thats what I was thinking also about regulations.

6. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    Confuses the heck out of me, unless I’m missing something really obvious. The standard mustang has little white reverse lights on the rear doesn’t it? They’re the only white lights you need. It could be a cosmetic change I guess, if the upper part of that light is an indicator/repeater then it could be a clear lens with an orange bulb as red is a no no here.

Also the Noble M15 appears to employ clear lenses with orange bulbs for its rear indicators.

7. rrobello

rrobello Formula 3

Jul 25, 2005
    WTF? They stick it on a dyno and say it only has 447HP; but that is rear wheel, do they really not know that 500 is rated at the crank? BTW 447rwhp equates to 525.88bhp. And that "prehistoric" live axle sure doesnt seem to have any problem in whooping the arses out of the BMWs and Porsches in the Grand Am series week after week. And the Roush is a normal GT V8 with a SC and the same live axle, but 1:28 and faster than the M3, Viper SRT10, Porsche 911S were around that track and less than a second slower than the Spyker C8 and TVR; not too shaby for being only a fraction of the cost and a LIVE SOLID AXLE!

As for the taillights I didnt notice it early in the vid, but when the stig is driving the Shelby the taillights are red, white, red; and I have no idea why. The Roush is normal Red all the way across. Although I did also notice that there innner most light doesnt have the white opening for the break light like it is suppose to have so perhaps this is just done real quick like because it is a test version???? dunno.