Consumer Reports' Best & Worst Autos for 2007 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Consumer Reports' Best & Worst Autos for 2007

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Daytona Drew, Mar 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin

If you re-read my post, or maybe even read it you would realise I was talking about the Mercedes S65 AMG. So where is this 598hp Lexus LS you speak of Mr "The Lexus makes two less horsepower and weighs 200 lbs less than the S Class"

Show me where you have your Hyundai 3/5.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2006082.pdf

notice how Hyundai is ranked 3rd, higher than Toyota.

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy

Oh, please excuse me, I failed to realize you were comparing a *sixty* thousand dollar car to a *one hundred and eighty* thousand dollar car.

I really should have re-read that post of yours, because clearly you said the Mercedes has a seven-speed transmission. Oh, wait, that's right. . . the only seven-speed S-class is the S550. The S65 AMG and the S600 both come with a five speed.

You're so silly ;)

Oh, and you can see that Hyundai is given 4/5 overall right here:
    http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/

I did say 4/5, not 3/5. Maybe "if you re-read my post, or maybe even read it you would [have] realise[d] (sic)" that I said Hyundai had a 4/5 rating, not a 3/5. Sheesh.

;)

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, how can you believe a review that is so bias?

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    So just because the Japanese cars win the test must be biased..how about they win because they did best in the tests...I bet you were one of those guys in school that complained that a test was not fair because you didn't pass it...FYI, CR takes no advertising money whatsoever and are about the most unbiased testers out there...

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003

MB would KILL to be as reliable as the south koreans by all accounts....they have come up a lot, I wouldnt own one, but I respect what they are doing...

7. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yeah. I just spent an agonizing 15 minutes just changing the clock on her E320 to EDT.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Hi, we're comparing cars in the 50-100k segment, i.e. S-Class, A8, XJ, 7-series, etc.

Its plainly obvious $200-250k luxury cars totally change the comparison the rest of us are discussing.

While sarcasm is appreciated, stop being a twit and taking things out of context.

9. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Actually I don't agree at all. Maybe you wern't able to see it was sarcasm. The Infinity is a tin can compared to the new S class. After driving in a friends in an extended trip there is no way I would put it in the same class as a new S. But, some people settle for less.

Darrell.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You are the one that posted "...balls out luxury..." which doesn't appear to specify a price cut-off point...

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    No tin in an Infiniti to my knowledge...all steel, aluminum, plastic and leather...FYI, from my experience in riding and driving an S class and an Infiniti M45, the Infiniti is nicer...have you driven both?

12. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Yes I have. And the infinity is not comparable to the new S. Infact it is a step down from the new Lexus. Since cost would not be an object for me, there there would be no reason to buy an Infinity M45. For the price it seems a nice car though.

Darrell.

13. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Infiniti..

and I am old enough to remember when Mercedes built a quality, no-excuses automobile. Those days are long since gone.

14. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Mercedes is horrible now. My family has only owned a 123 and 126 chassis but i have had plenty of seat time in the others except the newest S class. I have sat in a new S class and i can tell right from the start that it is not my thing. The closest car on the market today to the last of the great benzos is by far the Audi A8. Its interior is better looking, better feeling, and just plan old better in every way when compared to any other full sized luxury sedan on the market in this price range. And as much as it hurts to say this, i would definitely take the new LS over an S class....Benz is dead, they are simply selling cars because of the name..........I did however like the SLR surprisingly, but they couldnt even do that on their own....... And i expect this debate to end after my post, ryan always has the final word....:) jk...

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Precisely. If anything breaks on a car during the first decade of ownership, the typical CR reader goes on a letter-writing rampage, storms the dealership and screams bloody murder.

Everyone here at least thinks a Ferrari is a plausible vehicle to own, even if not every owns one yet, so a few glitches in an Audi or Benz won't send us running to the Infiniti dealer.

I was going to post something else, but I guess the debate is over.

16. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Agreed on the A8 point. Compared to 700 series BMW and S-Class Benz, the A8 is in a class of its own. Sure, the S-Class has more gadgetry now and the 7-series is more desirable, but I would take the A8 over any of those cars. I would end up paying less, too!

17. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    I tend to think that at least in terms of reliability Consumers Report has some knowledge.

Consumers report remember is all about getting the "best value" for your money, best value means different things to different people, for someone like me who to start out I want a reliable car and one is fairly comfortable I'm likely going used to save on depreciation.

Having read Consumers Report and want to get a lower mid-level car I can really see three major options and Acura TSX or RSX or a Lexus IS I've been going backward and forward between number of cars and Consumers Reporthelp me sort out a number of issues and reliability.

Of course the proof is in the pudding or in this case a test drive. I think bullfighters right when he says that most people who read consumers report place paramount interests on reliability but I'm not all of us are left-wing loons.;)

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have owned an S class and found it to be a piece of crap. I have never owned an Infiniti M45, but find it to be a fine automobile. Just because I can afford an S class does not mean I will buy one...I buy the car..not the marque...for a daily driver I want a nice sporty, reliable, reliatively economical sedan that can seat five...I have been using BMW M5s (e34, e39 and e60) for the last decade and have been well pleased...except, I am not happy with the fuel economy of my current M5...hence, next time I will buy something else and it sure won't be an S class unless Mercedes improvs its quality sustantially...FYI, the Nissan owned car brand is Infiniti, not Infinty...

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Infiniti G35 and Acura TL are nice too...

20. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    So your saying that you owned a new series S class? And you found it to ba a piece of crap in 5 months since they have been out? Or are you simple comparing an old car you owned? Since your always right, and love to argue with just about everyone I'll just leave it at that. Enjoy the nissan.

Darrell.

21. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    there a little more then I would like to put out but I am keeping them in mind

22. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Love the outside looks of both cars and the technology in both is phenomenal...but their interiors look cheap IMHO.

23. Frozenguy

Frozenguy Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Bay Area, Califronia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think people that bash Mercedes left and right are just bitter about a bad experience with their car. All cars have bugs. Even a model considered to be bullet proof reliable will give a bad experience to atleast somebody. That person will turn around and say OH THAT CAR IS CRAP.. blah blah..

I've driven/owned a lot of cars from an 02 hyandai tiburon to an 01 CL55 AMG. I hate it when people hate on Mercedes. For the wrong reasons atleast. Mercedes is a great brand! Sure, maybe it has changed in the last ten, twenty, thirty years but what company doesn't?? I hear most of the crying about Mercedes when it comes to the E class or C class.. I drove that mercedes harder then most people could imagine, i even ran over a good 2-3" curb at about 90mph. smashed my lorinser wheels but no subframe damage or anything.. the car was lowered belowe stock height too.. the car is freakin bullet proof when it comes to anything other then electronics.. and i feed i can safely say that about any of the BIG BODIED benzes.. I'm not surprised they use their name to sell the C class and even the E class.. the c class is a joke..

anyways, my point is, people should stop bashing mercedes, i think all the hate is stemming from other issues.

i have never felt safer in another car btw.. that car was solid as a rock. you could tell by the superb fit and finish of the interrior and how the doors shut and sealed you in. i wasn't old enough to buy a mercedes ten years ago let alone twenty years ago so i'm not 100% sure on how they were then, but compared to the cars that are being put out now and have been recently, the top class mercedes are still a great product..

i love the new s class. NIGHT VISION!!! awesome :)

PS i didn't even have a supercharger on my V8 and it was still a rocket.. i can only immagine how the v12 biturbo felt pulling you along the highway..

24. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    The simple fact is MB along with Toyota was the definition of "world class quality" (less than 100 claims in 100,000 vehicles) in the 1980's, and their quality has dropped into the middle of the pack of the other automakers, but Toyota has continued to raise the mark. This was chiefly due to their ML wagon launch in the US.

I own both MB (2) and Toyota (1) and a ferrari (2) and I have had 8 MB's in the last 15 years, both classic and new.

25. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    IIRC, Mercedes decided in the mid 90's that their cars were over-engineered, thus to save costs, they are now they way they are. I think the ML came in the late 90s, maybe 1998?

Anyway, the ML was (is?) made in Alabama.

AMERICANS CANNOT BUILD A LUXURY CAR!

(they could in the 30s)