Any computer experts here? | FerrariChat

Any computer experts here?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by SROC4, Apr 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi guys, I am looking for someone savvy with Windows Vista business. I'm no expert here, but I accidentally assigned my ASPNET as my computer's Administrator. My problem now is that I have no way to access the Administrator rights using my standard profile. I did not assign a password for the ASPNET profile, but it looks like it assigned a password automatically. Now it prompts me to enter a password everytime I need to change my comps settings. Since I did not assign a password, I am unable to access the profile.

I've posted this issue on different forums and googled the hell out of it and still no luck!

I basically need to either find out how to recover the password that was automatically assigned to the ASPNET profile, or find out how I can log in as an Administrator. Right now my only option to log in is with my Standard user profile.

I hope someone in the Fchat Norcal family can help me out.

Thanks!

Alex

2. bzerkqirk

bzerkqirk Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    I guess with standard permission, System Restore won't work?

Is your machine joined to the domain? If so, the domain admin can probably change your level.

3. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The machine is not joined to a domain since it is my personal computer. Is there a way to recover the ASP.NET password w/o Administrator rights?

4. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    if it automatically assigned a password for the admin account, try using "admin" or "administrator" as the passward. If that doesn't work try using system restore like someone above suggested. Is that The only problem you've had with Vista So far?

5. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I tried the passwords you suggested. No luck. The thing is I can't even do a system restore since I don't have Admin rights.

I'm stuck!

6. bzerkqirk

bzerkqirk Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    It's a long shot, if you have any friends with an active directory domain; maybe you can join your system to their AD domain, the domain admin can then manage your system and give you the local admin priv, then change it back to workgroup.

7. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    hmmm....that is something I will look into tomorrow. thanks!

8. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
  9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Alex,

Hopefully my buddy there can help you. If you need an SMTP server, let me know I can hook you up with one I have hosted secure.

--Dan

10. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Dude I started reading the articles and started having a headache! :)

All these terms are way out of my vocabulary! So far my understanding is that I will still need to have Admin rights to be able to setup SMTP, right?

If so, then I'm still F'ed since I do not have any Admin rights whatsoever. :(

I'm tempted to throw this laptop out the window...grrrr....

11. jkb

jkb Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    haven't used windows in over 10 years, but next time you have a unix question, i'll help :) :) :)

12. dexter

dexter Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Dexter
    Another suggestion; Try to do a system restore by booting of the restore disk.
    When your computer boots up press f2 or del ( computer dependent) maybe f8 also.. then select boot off cd. This should work; but will wipe your data clean and have a clean new harddrive. As a suggestion; I like to partition my hard drive into 3 and keep the os in the first one. So if something like this happens I can wipe the first partition. Let me know.

13. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    The .Net framework sucks balls. There is a way you may be able to boot in safe mode from BIOS but if your BIOS is password protected you're really F'ed. The thing is, once you log in using safe mode, I'm not sure if it'll allow you to 'switch users' in the control panel. I would call up Microsoft, wait about 2 days on the phone, and finally when someone picks up, tell them to guide you through it. Also, you may have some luck trying to contact the manufacturer of your laptop.

Worst case, boot the OS using the disc from BIOS and see if you can use 'System Restore'. Good luck mang!

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Alex,

you get a hold of my boy at MS?

--Dan

15. bzerkqirk

bzerkqirk Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    if you're still able to install software, and can't use IIS SMTP, try postcastserver.

If all else, try that link I pm'd you yseterday to the recovery tool; might be worth the price if you're stuck.

16. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Not yet. I'm still in the office. Will call him in the next hour or 2. Thanks!

17. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'll see what Dan's friend over in MS can do. If all else fails then I will try the link you sent me. Thanks!

18. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi guys, so I just ended up backing up all my files and doing a full system restore.

I would like to thank everyone who posted on this thread and who PM'd me to give suggestions. I really think this is a bug MS should fix. By default the Admin account is disabled in Vista so there is no way to resolve this going through Safe Mode like XP. People wanted MS to build a more secure OS. I would say they've succeeded since they even protect it from the actual user/admin!!! :)

Thanks again to all that helped and I'm just glad this is resolved.

19. drew935

drew935 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2007
    Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Was this the way that you did a full restore?
    Go to start menu>all programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. You can restore it back to a specific date...

20. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I couldn't do that since on Vista you need Admin rights to do it. What I did was press F10 while the comp was booting and then selected restore drive C which did a full system restore.