Malaysian GP***Spoilers*** | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Malaysian GP***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Apr 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    It's 2:45 AM, and I just got home from church and missed the race. I'll catch it tomorrow on Speed TV but intil then, BRAVO FERNANDOOOOOOOOO!

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    here's what Kimi said. from autosport :
    Raikkonen had suffered engine problems at the end of the race in Melbourne, and the team opted to not replace the unit to avoid a penalty.

The decision, however, meant Raikkonen's engine was not working at his maximum capacity during the Sepang race.

"We needed to compromise something," said Raikkonen of the engine. "It was not an ideal start to the weekend, we wanted to be on pole position but we couldn't. It is still early in the season and we are in a good position. It is going to be close fighting in the next races but that is F1.

"I think we knew the engine wasn't 100 percent, so we had to be on safe side, and there were things that were not perfect so we could not risk to do anything stupid.

"Hopefully next race we can get the car working 100 percent again like in the first race."

The Ferrari driver was happy to score good points, however, despite losing his championship lead to Alonso.

"I am happy to get some points, but disappointed how we ended up in the race," said the Finn. "The whole weekend has been quite difficult we had to compromise too many things and lost too much speed, it was one of the weekend where we had to do what was needed to do to get the most points.

"It (the car) wasn't difficult to drive, but it was just not fast enough. We know the reasons why we were not quick this race, but unfortunately we were in the position where we could not do anything. Hopefully the next race we can turn the tables and fight for the win again."

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They won the last race...

4. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i agree with Korr. i doubt there's any team issues. the team just need time to gel together..

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've been saying on FChat that I thought Massa was at best a number 2 driver but was willing to give him a benefit of a doubt...I now rate him a number 3 driver...

I've also been saying that LH was the real deal-was right about that too....

At least it will be somewhat entertaining this year; wish another 2 teams were in it...

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's not even that deep. They simply cannot afford to give Alonso any opportunities. He's too fast and too smart for Ferrari to be fumbling the ball.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    It looked to me as though Massa let impatience get the better of him - if so, not very on for a driver of his experience. Difficult to imagine Michael or Kimi making such a mistake.

8. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    yes. Massa looked like as if he was rushing to prove something. i can't blame him either. imagine whats goin on thru his mind, letting both macs slip past, then FA pulling away.

still, i think there's plenty of room for improvement for massa. **** happens, in this case, massa had plenty of bad luck and mistakes in this race. but also remember, it's early in the season, and at this stage last yr, he was also making plenty of errors.

i hope he can pull himself together....fast.

9. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    2006: Ferrari vs Renault, McLaren nowhere
    2007: Ferrari vs McLaren, Renault nowhere

Alonso is a much, much bigger influence on a team than many give him credit for. He must be a superb development driver and team motivator.

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Most of the development for the 2007 car was done in the last quarter of 2006 before FA stepped inside the car; Hamilton's been every bit as good as FA.

11. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    And that was what... nothing? :(

:O didn't hear that! Is that $? And how long's the contract?

Don't remember but he came in shaking his head... clearly wasn't happy with himself either. Rightfully.

12. MikeBarton

MikeBarton Rookie

Jun 14, 2004
    fraid I blame Fillipe for the poor result.

Seemed to me he was far too cautious into the 1st corner & let Alonso by. At the same time he also managed to baulk Kimi which allowed Lewis to get by Kimi.

The Ferrari strategist also needs to wake up for allowing one of the Renault's to get in the way after Kimi's 1st pitstop. He lost wwaaayyy too much time being stuck behind it.

Just my 2 cents.....

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think the key point is that neither McLaren have broken down yet....both cars finishing both races, I don't think that happened last year :)

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That's the way it looked to me too and I'm afrain we may see more of it this season. Massa is very fast in qualifying, but he just can race, I never really noticed that before....those that said so were right.

15. osg

osg Formula 3
    BANNED

May 1, 2005
    In Chinese food?
    Full Name:
    MSG...
    Well, Tifosiron was so quick to jump down my throat and lambaste me for calling Massa out as nothing more than a midfielder at best.......

and i quote Tifosiron from the Malaysia Quali thread:

Whoops................ where are you Ron? Massa is no better than a Davidson, Wurz or any other test driver come main game driver. He's just been fortunate to get a plum drive, making him look better than he actually is.

He completely ruined that start today, and ruined Kimi's efforts in the process not once at the start, but twice when he ran wide the first time at turn 4 and then decided to bang wheels with kimi instead of letting him by...

Credit to Fernando and Lewis in particular though, they were stellar today.

My 2c

16. TifosiF2002

TifosiF2002 Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Dave hobbs said @ the end of race " If Michael Schumacher were racing today Ferrari would have won today " .... I think his comment was 100 % true.....

17. Xassius

Xassius Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    well if kimi was in massa's seat, i'd think he'd be able to pull off a win too.

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    MS was the man. I am still amazed at what a great driver he was.

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    we're just lucky the next race is 1 week away. anyways, Michael was dearly missed today. he would have done a lot better today.

having said that, Kimi's engine is not 100% pushed to the limit today. glad both drivers will have fresh engines next week.

20. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I guess some will never be happy. If Massa made no attempt to pass early then he would have been accused of just that. So he tried and it was nice to watch. Where did Kimi pass anyone or even attempt to? Ferrari got into that possition because I believe that Massa missed a gear into the first corner. When you watch the replay its seems that he was way too slow compared to everyone else. All in all Ferrari did pretty good considering that they were essentialy running last years car this weekend. The only person who could have done anything with this weekends Ferrari was at home watching it on the tube.

21. OTownFerrari

OTownFerrari Karting

Jun 23, 2006
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Mauro Antoniazzi
    i still think massa should have waited a bit maybe even try to pass on the pits. I believe Schumi would have gone about it that way. In fact, i can see it.

Michael waits for Lewis to come in, puts in some hot laps and the comes out ahead. and takes his charge to Alonso.

Now Massa not being able to get ahead of Heidfield that was sad. I am truly disappointed and hope this will not repeat itself.

22. Geir

Geir Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    +1

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Kimi's engine has a cooling issue at the end of the last race, this is something that we all know. Running two of the hottest races on the F1 calender back to back with the same engine will almost guarantee that one of them will result in DNF. Which means, if the engine is less than optimal, as in the case of the Malaysaian GP, turn the rev down and get some points then fight another day. Which is why Kimi started to race and push Lewis at the end, he was saving his car until Ferrari gave him the green light to go ahead. This is not uncommon and has been the issue of hot debate about this 1 engine/2 races rule. Drivers/teams will conserve to get points instead of racing each other for the win. In this race, Kimi was racing for points, a win if possible, but more for the all important points.

True. FA, LH and McLaren did a great job this weekend, they functioned as a team and there is no doubt that McLaren is back to the top.

I think FM needed to get by LH as soon as possible in the race as his inability to do so was what handed FA and McLaren the win. LH was on heavier fuel load and he was holding up the Ferraris, as he should and rightfully so. If Massa had gotten by LH and gone after FA, rest assure that FA's win would not have came so easy, and may even result in FM winning instead of FA. FM's inability to pass and cracking under pressure is evident as he came in behind NH, even know that he has one of the four fastest cars out there. He was stuck behind NH the whole race, unable to make up ground on track or in the pits. I am not sure that MS could have done better than KR, but I am sure that any of the top tier drivers would have done better than FM.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

This was not Massa's call. Do you realize that Massa had an ear full of pitside instructions to pass Hamilton? So he tried his very best. Kimi could not pass Hamilton. If Todt thought he could have beat Hamilton from the pits, he would have told Massa to hold position, and then pitted Massa. But I think reality is that the McLaren's were that much faster and Todt knew that the McLaren pits would be quite efficient and any pit.

I disagree that if Michael were racing today he would have won. Face reality, the Ferraris were just not as fast as the McLarens today.

In the long run, finishing in the points was important to the team, having fresh engines at a track where in one week Ferrari can do well was just as important, maybe more.

25. Geir

Geir Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    I have to agree, but I have no doubts Massa will be back...

New chances next weekend, and I am hoping for a Ferrari 1-2 with Massa on the top of the podium.