308 Throttle cable sticking | FerrariChat

308 Throttle cable sticking

Discussion in '308/328' started by oregonferrari, Nov 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oregonferrari

oregonferrari Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Welches Or.
    Full Name:
    Shawn and Cindy
    I started up my 308 and the throttle cable was stuck. I went back to the engine and I moved it back manually, but as soon as i step on the throttle it stays in the depressed mode. How can I lube this so it will free up?

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I fixed mine by lubing at the cable at the throttle body ( engine end )

Dan

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Shoot some lube intot he engine end of the cable housing easiest access and some on the arm on the throttle body that the cable is connected to.

Good luck

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    First of all, check to be sure it's not the floor mat. Don't laugh, this has happened to MANY people before.

Next, disconnect the cable at the engine end to determine what is sticking. Is it the cable, or the throttle assembly at the engine?

Birdman

Frisky likes this.
  5. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 spiderseeker, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a similar problem last year with my 308. I did the usual wd40 in several places and what I found was the inside of the throttle arm needed a little light grease not just oil, it was dry and the roller was dragging. See photo to see exactly where I put a little light grease. No problem since.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Diegocortez likes this.
  6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed. May as well lube the entire system too.

Make sure driver side floormat is not causing any problems.

Go to your local motorcycle shop and get a cable lube kit. i find removing the front section of the center driver/passenger separator console (four easy screws) allows access to the cable. Attach motorcycle cable lube kit piese there and shott lube in it until lube comes out engine side.

Lube all moving throttle bits while you are down there.

At the engine compartment side of life, lube the moving bits there.

Even after all that, i find the throttle arm can cause sticking from time to time.

Frisky likes this.
  7. oregonferrari

oregonferrari Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Welches Or.
    Full Name:
    Shawn and Cindy
    Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello,

maybe the throttle cable is frayed, where it goes into the sleeve. I had this some years ago. Pedal became sticky; I lubed all and after this all was fine. Some weeks later the throttle cable snapped.
    You couldn't see any cable damage from the outside. The snap happened inside the sleeve just where it disappears inside the sleeve ( carburettor end )

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    firstly... which car? Carbs or Injection?

Carb car could have any number of sticky parts of linkage.

I've found high mileage or neglected/deferred maintenance cars can suffer from worn throttle cable... the innner cable actually cuts a channel in the outer (at the bend near the cam cover)... for a temporary fix, you can try twisting the outer 180 degrees to see if it helps or not, but the only long term fix is a new cable.

Simple solution.... get your car/s serviced regularly by someone that knows what they're doing with these, and things like this won't happen as it's all part of preventative maintenance....

10. AWulff

AWulff Rookie

#10 AWulff, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If the cable seems OK then check to see if the roller bearing has been “Flat” spotted from wear. This happens once it fails to turn.. ends up sliding which makes it worse.. See attached. You can try and replace it.. I just put a washer under mine so that the flat spot was no longer in the throttle slide. Good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    yes mine was sticking on my old 308 and it was frayed almost into inside. it's a cheap fix ;)

you can get one overnighted from T. Rutlands in Alanta

12. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Sticking linkage this weekend following removal of the assembly for paint of the throttle body intake and air plenum. I better lubricated the linkage and seem to have better action, but I am confused about torque (or locking technique) on the 14mm bolt which retains the roller bearing channel. If it is tightened, the linkage will not move. When loose throttle action is smooth, but the bolt walks out with throttle movement. The nut on the butterfly valve is captive with a bent tab on a D shaft. Should the bolt be secured with loctite or am I missing some captive device?

13. Diegocortez

Diegocortez Rookie

Feb 24, 2024
    Thank you a lot. I had this problem this week, and thought it was much complicated to solve.