is Hyundai on drugs? | FerrariChat

is Hyundai on drugs?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mambodave, Apr 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is it just me or do those Hyundai ads that compare it to a lexus LS and Landrover LR3 seem insane?

They cant be seriously comparing themselves to these companies. Have they lost their mind?

Seems like a total marketing mistake to me.

2. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I agree with you. They are a good bit better than they used to be, but their recent marketing is pretty optimistic.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Any car company can pick out something on their car that may compare to a highline. Like more interior space than a 745 BMW or better fuel mileage than a C class M/B. Maybe even higher skidpad numbers than the IS Lexus or the like. Does this make that car better than the highline??? Of course not but they are not advertising falsely and will fool a lot of the uneducated buying public who will not drive a highline because the budget will not afford it so they have to go to Hyundai or KIA.

Not that these folks are bad, just that they are staying within their means and buying what they believe to be "the better deal". It it really???? No, but if they do not know the difference and are led to believe that a Hyundai is better than the highlines you will be hard pressed to sway their thinking.

It is actually very good marketing and is capturing a lot of "I wish I could own a M/B, BMW, Lexus" type people.

Having been in "highline" sales for over 23 years, I saw this type of advertising everyday and had to listen to people who could never afford one telling me why their Hyundai or some other lesser automobile was better than the brand I sold. I had to take it with a grain of salt but I knew better then and still do now.....

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    A lot of people always believe in what is "written",the cars themselves are not bad either and as a result Hyundai is continously growing its market share.
    I think they are smart, actually....

5. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Haven't driven their new SUV, but I bought a new '06 V6 Sonata for my daughters to drive, and can't believe how good it is!

6. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    It could be worse. They could've brought back Joe Isuzu - now THAT guy stretched the truth:)

7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.

I miss Joe, he was the best !!!!!

8. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hyundai's are crap.

9. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    My wife bought her self a 2006 sonata fully loaded, i tried to talk her into a 2006 300C but she wanted her sonata. Know that i have time to play with car, it is not bad. Of course it has a few pitfalls but overall i like it. it handles great and has great acceleration and i like the semi-manual shifting. But is not a BMW or a lexus, but for the price getting 253hp V-6 full leather interior and traction control not too bad.

I still love my 1966 Mustang, 300hp 289, a lot more fun to drive.

10. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Back in the 1980s and 1990s they were. The new ones are every bit as good as what the Japanese produce. The Sonata and Santa Fe are very good cars for the money.

11. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    I made a mistake it is 235hp not 253hp. Sorry!

12. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think I would take a Hyundai over any Land Rover, assuming reliability means anything to me.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average american consumer...

If they can get somethign that is just as good as highline "X" (supposedly)...why not buy it.

Why do you think people continue to make fake Rolexs'/Prada/etc...someone buy this crap, otherwise they wouldn't still make it...cars are the same.

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    What's wrong with the advertisements?

They are merely comparing the features and performance of their lower priced mainstream vehicles to luxury automobiles; they certainly aren't targeting the same demographic as those who purchase Lexus, BMW, RR.

Hyundai ads.

Smart move.

15. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    That matches what I said in my response back toward the first of this thread. Not comparing the whole car to whole car but individual features.

Sure, any individual feature may be better than the same individual feature on another car but is the entire car better? NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!

Good marketing ploy. I used it in individual ads for the BMW dealership in Texas that I managed over 10 years ago. I would pull up quotes comparing the car I was advertising against competitors from various car magazines and list those under the pictures of our car in the ad. Made it seem as though the magazines were all saying that our car was absolutely the one to buy when sometimes it was just stating a fact of a certain feature or performance number. People believe what they read in most cases, even if we it is hard to prove.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's what people first said about Lexus, Infiniti and Acura as compared to Cadillac, BMW, Audi and Benz...the USA and German marques have depended a little too much on their reputation for the last 10 years or so whereas the Japanese and Korean marques have been catching up first with reliability and economy and now with innovation, performance and luxury...as far as Landrover is concerned, they are about the worse things on the market anyway...as a BMW M car driver( 1 M3 and 3 M5s) for almost 20 years now, my next daily driver will be a Mitsubishi EVO X simply because it's just not worth it to me to spend $95k again on an M5 when I can get all the performance for about 1/3 the cost with an EVO plus get better gas mileage and less expensive service repair cost...

17. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The remarkable words of a teenage result of inter-species breeding. Another reason not to broaden "marriage" in the States.