355 fuse questions | FerrariChat

355 fuse questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by f355spider, Jun 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, I noticed while checking fuses in my 97 355 spider that the air pump fuse installed, is 5 amps higher than it is rated for on the cover. Now a buddy says there was a recall problem with the air pumps blowing fuses, so they changed them to a higher rated one. Wouldn't the dealer put a sticker on the cover noting the now higher rated fuse requirement if this was some sort of service campaign?

On another note, I recently found the 30amp fuse for my left hand radiator fan blown. I replaced it two or three weeks ago, and have been driving extensively in warm weather and stuck in traffic...no problems with it blowing again...but someone posted that 355's are known to blow radiator fan fuses. A friend was having some issues today with his 355 so I checked his fuses, and surprisingly he had 40 amp fuses (!) installed for both radiator fans. Was this another service campaign?

2. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    I have a 99 355. Check Engine light came on. On of the problems was the air pump. Found bad fuse. Replaced it. Blew again shortly afterwards. Then I put in a 5 amp higher fuse and she's been good for 4 months now. Stupid design. But going a few amps up should be OK.
    Mike

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Remove the gauze on the air pump and blow it out. Water and debris gets into the pump due to the way it is mounted with the inlet facing upwards and will blow the fuse after washing the car. Common problem that I never bother to chase until it reoccures after replacing the fuse. Same with the radiator fuses, ram effect water from driving in the rain will cause a heavy draw and blow the fuse. Most common problem I have found if they continue to blow is high resistance at the relay plug in the foot box.

Dave

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for your comments Dave, always appreciated! So what might be the solution to the relay plug situation? Clean and treat them with Stabilant 22? Or should the relays themselves be replaced?

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Clean and treat. Real life current draw of the fans through the relays leave little margin over what they are rated for so often replacement is the answer. Funny, I have never bought a relay for a Ferrari as I still have a pile of Mondial and TR fuse boxes in the back room that were replaced with new and are providing enough "good used" relays to last a life time. Now, Ferrari will read this and start providing the fuse boxes empty and have everyone buying more parts.
    You may well have other problems but with blown fuses on the air pump and fans I always simply replace them and see if the problem reoccures before spending time chasing problems.

Dave

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks Dave, just for grins, I went through both fuse boxes and pulled all the relays and used a Scotchbrite pad to clean the terminals, and treated with Stabiliant 22. Did the same with all the fuses as well.

Been three weeks now with the LH radiator fan working normally and no fuse blown. Was stuck in traffic on Sunday and the water temp never went above 190.

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Going through my fuses today I noticed the air pump fuse was blown. The manual says 15A and it was a 15A in the socket.
    You are saying you changed to a 5A higher, does this mean you changed to a 20A fuse?

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, I believe it was a 20A fuse.

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    OK
    Thanks!

10. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think I spent about $400 on O2 sensors chasing a CEL before replacing that 15 with a 20. No issues since.

11. speedracer999

speedracer999 Rookie

Oct 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brad Hong
    where is this particular fuse located? where is the air pump located? sorry for the stupid questions.