Just installed a test pipe on my 328 | FerrariChat

Just installed a test pipe on my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by GTHill, Jan 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I am very happy with the sound. I think it adds around 15 php (perceived horsepower). Actual HP probably none, but I sure like the sound. It is most noticeable from 3000-6000 rpm's. Hmm... now I want a real aftermarket exhaust... :)

Gene

2. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    What test pipes did you use?

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    He's got a 328, so he only needed ONE test pipe...

4. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I actually made it/had it made. It isn't the most beautiful thing, but I now that I know how to do it, the next one will be better. And, to answer the next question... It does have a place for the O2 sensor.

There are just some things I really want for my car but don't want to pony up the money. I'll do nothing that isn't easily reversible.

Gene

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you able to detect any additional exhaust smell (from add'l unburned hydrocarbons)?

6. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I can't say that I have sniffed my exhaust since then. Is that a common symptom? Did I make a mistake by installing the test pipe.

Gene

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Gene,

your exhaust will smell more, it's simply a fact. Dyno runs on my car show little to no HP gain with the test pipe vs a cat. The HUGE advantage is peace of mind -- if I have a cylinder or 4 not firing, I no longer have a massive heat source awaiting the unburned fuel.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gene, what did you do about the thermocouple that was normaly connected to the cat?

9. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can somebody tell me what I should do with my thermocouple cause I have a test pipe and it only has the thread to screw on the O2 sensor but none for the thermocouple. Thank you.

Mike

10. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Hey mike, When I had the test pipe on the Mondial I used a big hose clamp and clamped it around the thermocouple to the top side of the test pipe. That was per the suggestions of a few other f-chatters.

11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks John, I will install it this weekend try that.

12. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    Thanks, that is what I wanted to know, I am considering getting two made for my 308. I have been warned that the sound will be too harsh. It sounds like you are happy with yours.

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The sound is not deafening. Just better. Lower at the bottom end in sound and higher at the top.

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I don't actually think the sound is much different on the 328. Noticeable, but not bad by any means. Two on the 308? That may make it different. Any 308 owners chime in?

Gene

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    My mondi 8 has the 308 motor ofcourse. anyway it has the euro headers and seperate exhaust. the PO had the cats in and i tried driving around with them but you'd get a headache literially from the drone above 3k it messed with the resonance something awfull. muted lows and a droning high. as soon as the test pipes went in, it was night and day. i picked up a very sharp bark at idle and the drone was gone, it would progress to a very high pitched scream very similar to F1. I LOVED! it. alot of it may be due to the true seperate paths the exhaust flow takes.

now since i've added the supercharger it has removed some of the low bark and the high pitched scream is more meanacing.

16. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    COOL!

17. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 328 test pipe has a lot more exhaust smell at red light if the wind is not blowing. But when you are driving around the sound is way better and I swear it is quite faster. Overall better with the test pipe for me but my wife hates it!

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I had the same issue... used the test pipe for a couple of years but finally had had enough of the smell. Changed to a HyperFlow performance cat from Daniel at Ricambi America and noticed NO difference in sound or quick revving, but it took care of that odor! Well worth it.