Coast to Coast record broken in Ferrari 550 | FerrariChat

Coast to Coast record broken in Ferrari 550

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Speedracer38, May 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    31hrs 59 min– New York to LA

Ferrari Chat,
    The following is a press release regarding the new Coast-to-Coast record.
    The record was broken in a 1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello - Color: Nero Daytona (rumored to be the only one painted that color). Owner: Dennis Collins of Dallas, Texas.

Bullrun 2007 – Richard Rawlings and Dennis Collins Break Coast-to-Coast Record

In the early hours of Monday 14th May 2007, Bullrunners Richard Rawlings and Dennis Collins of Texas broke the almost 30 year old coast-to-coast road trip record of 32 hours and 51 minutes. They decided to attempt the record after taking a bet on the start line of the 2007 Bullrun Rally. They were bet $50,000 by a fellow entrant that this time would never be bettered in the modern era. Abandoning this years route of Montreal to Key West, they drove to New York City and prepared for a night start.

Brock Yates created the idea modern rally when he started the infamous Cannonball Runs. Since then Bullrun has taken on the mantel of the modern navigational rally replacing out and out point to point racing with their version of luxury car rallies including celebrities and drivers from around the world and a huge TV franchise supporting the Bullrun brand.

In 1979, the winning Jaguar XJS achieved an incredible time of 32hrs 51 minutes from New York to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach. Many thought this legendary 'Sea to Shining Sea' endurance time would never be beaten and indeed has proved unbreakable until now….

Having already heavily prepared their Ferrari 550 for this years' Bullrun Rally, Montreal to Key West, they felt they had a real chance to challenging the time. With extra fuel cells and an onboard spare tire they left Manhattan on the evening of May 12 th. They phoned their wives, who promptly flew to LA to greet the would be champions.

Having created motoring history, Dennis and Richard are expected to catch up with Rally in time for the celebrations in Key West.

2. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    I'm actually on Bullrun this year doing a lot of the blogging with a friend of mine and we have been speaking to Dennis and Richard constantly. Dennis is especially proud of the fact that the record was beaten in a Ferrari. The official Bullrun blog is a great place to follow along for all updates regarding everything about Bullrun 2007 including the world record being broken. http://www.Bullrun2007.com

3. TMINUS

TMINUS Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    TMINUS
    Do you know if this new record qualifies as an entrant into the highly regarded Guinness Book of World Records Jason?

4. zitro

zitro Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ortiz
    doubt it.

5. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Thought it was a Daytona?

6. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    They're not even sure of what record they broke. The press release keeps changing. The Canonball record from 1979 was from Darien, CT to Redondo Beach in LA. The US Express record from 1983 was from NYC to Redondo.

They claim that by driving from NYC to Redondo they break a record for a route that was 50 miles longer.

If they're not sure how can Guiness be sure?

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    You guys are missing the point.

It's not about breaking a record. I'm sure lots of folks can do that if that were the focal point.
    It's about the drive, the camaradarie, not getting caught & the pride of simply finishing.

Do the coast-to-coast in a hopped-up Evo. It's not the same. Do it in a Pagani...you'd had better be quick.

Do it in a 355 or Lotus. Then you've done it.

8. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I think its time for you to buy a 355...

9. Parikh1234

Parikh1234 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2006
    Little Ferry, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Shivam Parikh
    or an evo.

10. TMINUS

TMINUS Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    TMINUS
    LOL.

11. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    How can you really say you beat the record in a in a car that is almost 20 years newer with gobs more horsepower and just a bit more tech equipment both in the car and the in the counter speed measures.

I am happy that they had a good elapsed time, but they are no cannonballers.

12. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    First disadvantage there are more cops out there

13. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Very, verrrrry well said, Clyde.

I've done a transcon in my 550 (Miami to SF), and have yet to find any records I've broken (although I wouldn't be surprised if there were a record I broke somewhere I don't really care about). I took 8 1/2 days (one of which was along the CA coast from LA, so I guess I did coast-to-coast in about 7) but I loved every minute of it, stopped in on friends along the way, flew in friends to drive with me for other parts, and just chilled on my own for still others. Among all the fun I've had with my 550, I think driving it coast-to-coast is about the best thing I've ever done with it.

I also find the 550 a perfect car for it... comfortable when it needs to be, wildly sporting when you want that, discreet when you want that (and believe me, there are places in this country you really don't want to stand out as the Guy in the Ferrari).

If I write any more, I may just drive the thing back east next time I have a chance, so I think I'd better stop writing. :)

edit - Oh, and as for the "not getting caught" you mention, for as slow as my coast-to-coast was, I did hit speeds exceeding 170mph, and was once running head-on towards a hwy patrol at 125mph (there was another car hiding him from me) and, somewhat miraculously, didn't get pulled over once. A few years earlier, going cross-country in my discreet green Volvo, I never broke 100mph, and still got pulled over somewhere along the way.

14. cntrvrsy

cntrvrsy Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    New York
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Ditto, I was about to post the same thing. Way more highway patrol plus air patrol. More traffic in general which leads me to think that patrol would be much less forgiving. Even though we have radar detectors and laser jammers and scramblers, there are more obstacles in the way nowadays.

15. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Our cars are much better too, in comfort, performance, and ease to drive fast. Older cars are a handful to drive fast, whereas newer cars can be driven at 150mph with one hand and little wind noise (much less tiring).

16. cntrvrsy

cntrvrsy Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    New York
    Full Name:
    Doug
    ^^ True and I give the original 'cannonballers' mucho credit but I fear the cops more than comfort. I drove long distance a few times and highway patrol was always out there :(.

17. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    no the ferrari daytona set the first record back in the day with brock yates and dan gurney behind the wheel...im reading broke yates book right now actually (odd coincidence) id get it out of my car but im to lazy to go get it, if i remember correctly gurney and yates were in 34 hours and something minutes, but they didnt have fuel cells in teh car.

really good book u guys should pick it up its called the cannonball and its by Brock Yates himself

http://www.amazon.com/Cannonball-Worlds-Greatest-Outlaw-Road/dp/0760316333/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/103-7065965-1849422?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179284402&sr=8-4

and another thing...the cannonball has nothing to do with being the person to break the record, its about a bunch of guys having some fun, and if they break the record so be it, if someone was really super determined to break the record they could...its just sorta do it to see if they can do it, if they do awesome, if not , hell itll make one hell of a story for the grandkids either way.

18. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Exactly! Have fun & if something special happens, all-the-better.
    Sort of like our old runs of yore here on FChat.

I feel a run coming on.
    THe 5th annual ROWMEPL run.
    (Run Out West to Meet Emil & PChop for Lunch)

No Talons

Meet-up at Dylan Prime Friday night for directions & rules.
    Leaving Saturday morning. Lunch Sometime Sunday around lunch.
    Getting back? Gumball.

19. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Dennis and Richard rejoined the Bullrun rally last night in Savannah, Georgia and we had a opportunity to interview them and get this exclusive footage. This video is part 1 of 4 so keep checking up on the Bullrun 2007 blog for the next 3 videos.

http://www.Bullrun2007.com

20. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    How many people got arrested today?

Also: http://spankmymarketer.com/richard-rawlings.html :)

21. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    12 cars were pulled over together, resulting in 6 arrests. the drivers were released shortly after. in fact, greg allman from the Allman Brothers Band showed up at the police station while the guys were there, just to look at the cars. He was driving a brand new, Peach colored Corvette. The penalties ranged from $1100 to $1300, for speeding, street racing, reckless driving, etc.

Some of the criminals include:

Team Lotus from the TV Show
    Mike and Morgan, TV show winner
    Richard Rawlings and Dennis
    and several others that i could think of if i was a little less tired.