New Official Pics of Maserati GranTurismo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Official Pics of Maserati GranTurismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by asb9987, Jun 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    Yeah but at above $110k which is what i hear for the base price of this car Low 5 sec to 60 wont cut it. I mean imagine u pullin up to me in my $47k 335i coupe and me blowing u into the weeds. For 110k + u had better be able to outrun the XKR and the M6 and a M3 and a 335 as well.

2. Maserati-Mark

Maserati-Mark Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    Minnetonka
    Full Name:
    Mark Potter
    The outgoing Coupe kept the factory doors open. It's a car that Fiat\Ferrari inherited in the middle of its design & development. The Quattroporte was the first car they penned from scratch, and in my opinion is the best car in its class.

This new GranTurismo as a proper gentleman's Grand Touring car will only strengthen the brand. Yes it's going to be launched with an automatic transmission and about 400hp. I've put many miles on the QP automatic, and it has some of the best software behind it of any automatic available. 400hp is more than sufficient, and while we may say we want 500hp, do we want 12mpg? There are many exciting things coming, and I do believe this car is a very strong step in the right direction for Maserati. As a company they will not forget nor neglect their racing heritage. They are moving ahead slowly and deliberately with their plans for the future, and being careful not to repeat old mistakes.

This new GT is going to be a very impressive car dynamically, and should fit it's purpose perfectly. I believe all of the cars slated for delivery in late 2007 are sold out, and by 2008 waiting lists could exceed 6-9 months.

- Mark

PS; I have a gallery of over 100 pictures of the GT, launch video, links to the podcast, and more on my blog: http://maseratiofminneapolis.blogspot.com

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Correct! The M3 for much less $$$`s will give the GanTurismo a hard time! Drove recently a 335 BMW -- a staggering car!

Ciao!
    Walter

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ciao!
    Walter

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is my point - this car's market doesn't care the least if some punk in a BMW can 'blow him away' whatever that means. Past a certain point it really does not matter to this more sophisticated market segment. Who gives a rats ass on the street anyway - I don't - that racing stuff should be left for the safety of a proper track.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And it's not like they have any other engine options either. They are totaly dependant upon Ferrari, the world's highest cost provider for passenger car engines.

We'll have to wait and see how well this works and for how long. This market is very short lived and fickle. It's not sales from car nuts like us that will make it a success. It has to compete in a much broader market than that.

Think Jag/BMW/Mercedes buyers who will also want reasonably convenient and qualified service. That may be hard with so few dealerships.

Bob S.

7. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    I agree.
    -Colin

8. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    This car is designed for older people i understand that its basically targeted at my dad who is 61 and likes nice rides owns a ML350 and a SL550. I showed him the pics of the car and he really liked it. He also liked the QP but that was untill i told him about the service costs and the lack of a large Dealer Network. People who have alot of Money dont want to hear that sorry thats not covered or parts will take 3 months or that an oil change costs $500 or so. My dad leases his cars and Gets the Oil Changed at Jiffy Lube cause its close to our house. He dont care cause he changes cars every 2-3 years.
    I dont think the Grand Turismo will do well in that enviorment.
    Yes they will sell a few to die hard Masarati Fanatics who are willing to put up with idio syncraties and expensive service and lack of large dealer network.
    but most people wont put up with those hastles.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes.

This has always been my argument for why Maserati just can't ever do all that well over here with this type of a car. You can refer to Ferrari as having designed and built the engine for sales pizazz but when you also tell the customer that Ferrari will be doing all the service, then watch them walk.

I don't think it's a car just for old people. I think It will go well enough for 90% of prospective buyers and it looks terrific.

Most cars are considered appliances by their owners, 2-3 years and out.

I hope I'm very wrong about this and maybe there will be enough people willing to put up with a little more work to own something special.

Bob S.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I thought people buy high performance cars for their performance most off all.(certainly not practicality,roominess,comfort and ease of service).
    New Maser is just average in it's performance ,so what is the selling point here?

11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Can you then explain the difference between the GranTurismo vs. M3 and the F430 vs. Z06 arguments. Every time I see the latter come up, no one denies the Z06's performance, but it is still dismissed as "just a Vette". Why in the first case, is the argument not: "the M3 is fast and all, but this is a Maserati!"?

In both cases, I see a fine Italian exotic being compared to a lower market, allbeit great, "normal" car.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That's it exactly - THIS IS NOT A SPORTS CAR. It is a grand tourismo (note the name) which combines elements of elegance, power, comfort and style for those who appreciate it. It's not about racing, but more like a 'gentleman's express' to use the well worn British term. I wouldn't take a lady to the opera in Trier in a Porsche GT3 anymore than I would use the Maser to run pinks against a vette. :)

It's fast
    It's comfortable
    It's roomy
    And above all, it's got way more classic beauty, exclusivity, style and message than it's competitors (MB, BMW, etc). The Italians just make prettier cars. In just my opinion, I feel it is a rip roaring bargain for someone looking for a classically beautiful personal GT (although I would still like a manual transmision).

I will agree that there are faster coupes and note that this thread points out something - there are many who will feel this car should have been something else - it's not; it's what it is and does what it is designed to do better than the competition, IMHO.

13. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the offer, but I am strictly heterosexual.

Interesting, if nonsensical, comment as I own both a 335i Vert and Maser Spyder. I know the cars strengths and weaknesses and nowhere do I feel that they compete against each other - rather they complement.

While I admit I do use a spec sheet as a general comparison guideline, I don't drive a spec sheet.

Actually, thinking about it, I guess I do ride a spec sheet...

Its called a Suzuki Hayabusa:
    0-60mph: 3 sec
    0-100mph: 5.7 sec
    1/4 mile: Under 10 sec.
    Top Speed: 186mph elec. limited, 194+mph unlimited.
    Price: approx. $10K

It is as illogical to compare the performance of a Busa against any sub-$600K Supercar as it is comparing mass produced cars against exotics.

Everyone knows the difference between two wheels and four and everyone should know the difference between an competent enthusiastic daily driver and an enthusiast's pleasure - or if you will a sensual gratification.

14. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    If mazer was out to sell 500 cars a year i would agree but this car is more or less mass market they want to go after the SL55 and M6 buyers. Alot of people with money are not car nuts but they do expect a certain kind of performance for their money and a mid 5 sec 0-60 is not it. For the car to sell i think it has to run 4.6 or so 0-60. Its only an exotic the first 8 months and then when every one has one its a different story. Well at least where i live. The first QP i saw in my area it was like wow. Now i see them every day usually driven by women. So the Grand Turismo needs power if it is to sell long term. I talked about it with my dad and his friends they were having a cigar party at his house yest. they ALL drive expensive cars but are not car people. I showed them the Grand Turismo pics and they were like hot car. I said yeah but my 335i coupe is faster also most people wont put up with crapy service as an entusiast might. ALL i am saying is that me personaly being a car nut i would put up with the Grand turismo being down on power and the Insane Service costs and lack of dealer network cause i know i am driving a Italian car but they aint too many people like me. So unless they add about 80hp without raising price the car is doomed to failure.

15. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home

We'll leave it's failure up to the market... vote with your dollars!

And I find the exact opposite of wealthy people who aren't car nuts. Any non-car nut I know would be blown away by a 5-second 0-60 (let's be honest, anything under that is FAST and it only gets FASTER). The non-car nut guys are more into badges and exclusivity than the car nuts anyways. All you have to do is say the word Maserati and they'll swoon.

I do agree that servicing is an issue, but Maserati has centres to cover most potential buyers anyways...

16. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I just bought a book with all the reviews, comparisons and tests of Maserati cars since 1997 that have been published in the German "Auto, Motor und Sport".

The truth is: A 1997 QP4 or a 1999 3200 GT is basically as fast as the QP5 and the new GT.

And the NA Ferrari engines do even consume more fuel than the old 3.2 ltr Turbo engine.

I can´t see any significant progress with Maserati in the past 7 years.

17. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

Straight line speed isn't everything...especially for the intended market that Maserati thinks will buy the GT.

18. alfaromeomilano

Aug 10, 2005
    As i see many criticize Granturismo straightline performance...

Maserati Granturismo (Automatic)
    0-62mph 5.2sec
    Aston Martin DB9 Coupe (Automatic)
    0-62mph 5.1sec
    Jaguar XKR (Automatic)
    0-62mph 5.2sec

At last you have to admit that Granturismo straightline performance is at the same level as a more compact and expensive 6.0lt V12 Aston Martin GT 2+2 but with space for four adults, only Continental GT can compete with Granturismo in terms of space...but i find Granturismo more inspired & stylish than more expensive GTs like Continental GT and DB9 so it's a bargain for an exotic GT.
    Granturismo weight distribution is the the only rear biased between the GT's if we exclude the far more expensive 612 Scaglietti, Granturismo with a 49/51 distribution even with the classic mounted automatic gearbox is better than the DB9 Coupe with the manual transaxle, ofcourse i would prefer to have a duoselect robotized manual transaxle option from the launch, as would have a better weight distribution around 47/53 and a less important improvement of 3/4 tenths in 0-62mph acceleration, but i'm sure that most buyers in this segment prefer the smoothness of the automatic.

19. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    I am not criticizing the Performance per say but just the marketing plan Maserati has. They are targeting this car at rich people over 55. These people want name plate recognition but they also want to keep up with the guy next door driving the M6 and SL55. Also most though they have money are pretty money savy and dont want hastles.
    My dad has a SL benz. He loves it cause its got punch but also he can get it fixed anywhere and doesnt have to pay an arm and leg for service.
    U can even take ur SL to the local 15 min oil change place if u want too.
    I would love to see someone try that with a Maserati. Also the lack of a large dealer network will put people off. If u have to drive over an Hour to get your car serviced and pay a ton of money for it cause u are paying Ferrari Parts and Service Hourly rate. Maserati needs alot more dealers in the Big Metropolitan areas and service costs need to be about the same as BMW and MB.

20. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Stunning Maser

21. Yuensm

Yuensm Karting

May 15, 2007
    Lego Land
    Full Name:
    Shaowen
    I totally agree with you.... sometimes I think people ought to grow out of this 0-100kmh time and "smoke you at the lights" thing. Who cares?

One is a ubiquitous BMW with a hopelessly awful interior and unresolved external looks;; tweeny tail pipes (only 2); and a in-line 6.

For all my admiration for BMW (I have driven 4 bmws in the last 3 years), maserati is a class above it. Just got to face it (and its coming from someone like me who as another 2 BMW's in the garage) - maserati exudes class, charm, extravangave and exotica like no other. (except maybe ferrari and lambo).

Heard enuf of "335 smoking everything on earth"..but seriously, no one would bat an eyelid to take another look on a 335.

cheers!

22. Yuensm

Yuensm Karting

May 15, 2007
    Lego Land
    Full Name:
    Shaowen
    Looks, space, exclusivity, opulent interior, italian charm.

whats so bad about sitting 4 people in comfort, tubi roaring, music in the background and do 0-60mph in onver 5 seconds?

You would be hard squeezed in a 6series, crowded out in a jag. and an aston? can it even sit anyone behind? kids?

So you see the selling point?

Its for those who want the best of all worlds to put it metaphorically - comfort, sportiness, luxury, performance, exclusivity.

I mean if i wanted something really fast and loud I would just get a F430, a 911 turbo or heck, and EVO IX!!!!!!!!

23. Yuensm

Yuensm Karting

May 15, 2007
    Lego Land
    Full Name:
    Shaowen
    You are oh so spot on!

The really rich people who arent car nuts would be over the moon with a 5.2 seconds 0-100kmh. !

but is okay, I guess someone will always have something to say and prove; like I say, and many in this thread has said - a 335 is a 3 series with bigger rims, 2 tail pipes and two turbos. It is basically a normal car with a bigger coat.

no big deal IMHO.

24. jimbo14

jimbo14 Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Beautiful! Well done Maserati... Well done.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob