How Much Driving Is 'Enough' | FerrariChat

How Much Driving Is 'Enough'

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by billg, Jun 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Hot as hell here in New Orleans, and the a/c on my 400A is out, so my car will get relatively little use until September. Question: how often should one drive the car to keep it in good shape? Once a week, once every two weeks? Highway driving is of course what's needed, but how long should one have it out on the Interstate?

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I drive once a week or every other week around 30 miles. You need to get the engine and fluids warmed up and circulating. Hope you were not one of the ones who suffered from Katrina? I can only hope that the Feds get their act together before the next big hurricane hits!

Rob

3. John Harry

John Harry Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2005
    Pittsburgh PA
    Full Name:
    John Harry
    There’s probably no absolute answer to this. Personally I feel comfortable with at least half an hour once a week, but I bet you could get by with half an hour every month or two if necessary. You’d be missing a lot of fun, though. Drive at night when it’s cooler!

4. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In the Summer, I drive only in early morning and late evening when the Sun isn't a factor.
    Weather permitting, I drive 1-2 times a month 15-20 miles during winter and about 4x that much in Summer.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I say at least once a week.

6. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Just drive as often as you can , but at least once a week - I'm in the Northeast, and drive every opportunity I get during the winter, trying to minimize the time between drives. Sometimes that can be 6-8 weeks, just drive as often as you can so when you hit a stretch where you can't drive you'll be ok - has worked for me for 5 years now

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doesn't have to be "at least once a week"
    Once a week is good enough

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I try for once every 2 months at least, schedule allowing of course.

Just remember to keep the gas fresh as possible in there! If I have to go longer, I try to buy fill a 5 gallon portable tank with the best gas I can find, and use it to top off the gas in the tank before starting the car.

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Carb cars hate old gas, so I'd go through a tank every 3 months maximum. Or don't fill it all the way up if need be. As long as you get everything hot and give it a good run, even once a month is okay. But how can anyone have a Ferrari and only drive once a month?? We've been 90's and sticky for a week in Chicago, and my Lotus has no AC; in fact it;s a greenhouse on wheels! I stll drive a few times a week. Life is short!

Ken

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    So do you cruse yours down Grangeville "once a week"?

HAHAHAA!:p

11. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    As a general rule, most high-end collectors of classic cars usually start and run their cars once per month to keep seals fresh. It is important to use Sta-bil to keep the fuel fresh. (The amount of time it takes for fuel to turn bad depends on the area -- some places use up to 15 percent ethanol (like Seattle in the winter) and this will make gas foul quicker.)

The amount of time/miles depends on the car and running conditions. Again, as a general rule, you're looking just to get the water, oil and transmission oil temp up to normal operating range.

If you can't do it every month, do the best you can. A car can go six months without use and still be fine. If you make a habit of this, expect seals and gaskets to start failing earlier than those that are running at once every month or two.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    They need more than just starting...a car needs to be driven to get all the fluids warmed as well as to get the moving parts used...otherwise you will get things like frozen calipers and shocks as well as a lot of other problems...I always drive my Boxer enough to get the oil temp up and always turn everything on for a while...A/C, radio, heater, fans...everything...

13. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Right...sorry -- by "run" I meant "driven." You have to drive the car, otherwise only the engine is getting up to temp, not the tranny, rear end etc...as well as the brakes and clutch (if hydraulic) are getting no love.

Depending on the car, the first things that can go are brakes and clutch. I had a TR7 that had the habit (as all 5-spd equipped TR7s did) of freezing the clutch after a month of no usage. I'd go out, press the clutch, start the car and the car would lurch forward. The cure was to start the car in gear, then romp on the accelerator until it all released with a bang.

14. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    I have a 2001 360 Modena F1 with over 27,000 miles on it.....Drive the baby!

15. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Now that I am retired I drive it every day that it doesn't rain. at least for an hour or 50 miles. Enjoy the ride.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've owned my 328 for 19 years. For the past 10 years it gets driven about once every10 days. I drive it for a minimum of 20 miles when I drive it. When it's really cold (like below freezing), I block off the oil cooler so that the oil can get to proper temperature. I also unplug the battery at its ground union to give the clock a rest. No problems with the car.

In the summer, the drive is early in the morning. Car is black and gets hot even with the AC running.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Can your car use additives?

When not driving a few of my cars for awhile, I add octane boost to help clear out the cob webs. Some cars can't take it though.

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOW Ernie, I was surprise how did you know about Grangeville?

19. MARANELLO328

MARANELLO328 Karting

Dec 2, 2005
    Oean City, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Dorsey
    I have a 2005 575F1 and a 1998 550 and I drive them every day, Post Office, Bank, every weekend a few hundred miles. It's great, why save it for some one else to drive. Lifes to short. And cars are made to be driven.

20. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My 328 does not get driven much because I don't get a thrill out of driving it anymore. I keep it because I remain infatuated with its looks. My Porsche weighs 300 pounds less and has 120 more hp along with track suspension. My AMG Mercedes weighs the same as the 328 and has 90 more horses.

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    An octane booster might to the trick as well. I like adding a few (5 or so) fresh gallons of gas as it also mixes up the contents of the gas tank. The 10-15% Et0H stuff likes to settle into semi-distinct layers. The major down side of my method is that the actual octane of the gas in the tank then becomes an average of the new and whatever the old gas was/has become.

Just adding a smallish volume of boosting additive might not mix up the tank as well.

A combination of both probably would be ideal, as you would get an octane boost as well as a mixing effect.

22. wrxrob

wrxrob Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    MD
    Kudos to a Ferrari owner that actually DRIVES his/her cars. You are the one with "toxic" and "toxic I" "toxic II" etc, right? I swear whenever I visit the slot machines (you know where), I see one of your ferraris in the valet area :) . I know there are more owners, but the way owners keep them hidden, it seems like you are the only one in a 100 mile radius that has a ferrari, or any exotic for that matter.

23. mid328

mid328 Karting

May 4, 2006
    Glen burnie, Md
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I cant drive mine enough , I have an 89 328 and drive it about 2 to 3000 miles a year , I drove it all week end and only it let them sit and they start costing you besides that if I wanted a car to just look at it would be sitting on a shelf somewhere in the house , cars are for driving they like it !!!!

24. mid328

mid328 Karting

May 4, 2006
    Glen burnie, Md
    Full Name:
    Sam
    hey wrxrob what are you doing up there ? I have the blue 328 get ahold of us up there

25. MARANELLO328

MARANELLO328 Karting

Dec 2, 2005
    Oean City, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Dorsey
    Just trying to win enough money to buy another Ferrari. Then I can have one
    for everyday of the week. And I won't have to drive the Z06 anymore. And then the Corvette will be the rain car.