European GP race ***SPOILER*** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

European GP race ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'F1' started by kraftwerk, Jul 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How was he lucky there? It didn't make a difference in the end since he scored zero points. All he did was spend two more hours driving around with the same result--zero points.

2. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9csRvvjns

Something like this:

Massa: "fighting for the first place ??"
    Alonso: " I show to the public, watch." (scratch on his car)
    Massa: " F**k you! you win and do this ?! you win and say this ?!"
    Alonso: "You hit me, you hit everbody"
    Massa: "Learn, learn ! "
    Alonso: " "you learn ! you hit everyone, we had only 3 more laps"
    Massa: "like you did in the first race, at the start ! learn, learn !" (when Alonso hit Massa)

Alonso should buy his own track and race alone ! he complains about Hamilton and now about Massa !! Go play chess !

3. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    WOW, what a race! and I just read through this whole thread which is ever funnier! :D:D:D

My thoughts:

What timing for the downpour right as the race started, the spin offs were are circus! i think I could have been leading that race in my SUV! :D

LH getting put back on the track by the tractor was odd, even more odd when they let him get a lap back. I would have liked to see him get podium #10, but this race he certainly didn't earn it.

I shake my head at Kimi going out... whether it was fuel, hydraulics, the MS curse, or whatever. It is sure FRUSTRATING to see the car limp into the garage like that. :(

LOL at the Massa vs. Alonso drama.... those two are going to be FUN to watch over the next several years. If they ever end up in the kitty litter together the gloves will be off and helmets flying before the safety teams arrive. :D

I would have liked to see Ferrari on top in the points for this race... but it was no doubt fun to watch.

LOL at Michael's rodeo shirt on the podium. :D:D:D

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Two more hours showing the sponsor's logos - more important than points.
    :)

5. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    is that a real question ?
    if so its a bl**dy stupid one.

no he didnt score points, but he had the opportunity to try and do so.
    an opportunity that he wouldnt have had if the car was out - do you get it now ?

oh and he was able to run in the race and show off all the teams sponsorship.
    (which is the aim of sponsorship)

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL :)

Good summary I dare not look back at what I have written in this thread..

7. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe
    Has anyone recorded the race? I somehow manage to record all black.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    No, it's not a "bloody" stupid one.

This is post-race conversations we are having so it's all hindsight. If we were discussing this issue live, during the race, than yes, I would have considered him lucky since he had the chance to score points. Now that the race is over, he has zero chance to get points for the Euro GP. See how it wasn't lucky? Why is he lucky since he had no benefit as a result?

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That is true! :)

10. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    oh dear god its like talking to a child

HE HAD OPPORTUNITY - thats a benefit, now ok with hindsight we can see he didnt manage to make anything of it, but he still had the chance.

therefore at that point he was lucky

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Don't quote me and remove everything where I explained myself. Go back to my statement and re-read.

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    i dont need to re read it - but maybe you do.

you said with hindsight he wasnt lucky - but you seem to have missed the point.

the luck was the opportunity to continue not what he did with that opportunity.

you even said yourself that had this discussion occurred during the race you would have said he was lucky in what happened.
    your problem is that you cant seem to seperate an opportunity from the ultimate result.

eg if he was lucky to have the opportunity then he was lucky - full stop.
    his luck then ran out when he failed to make anything of the opportunity.
    that doesnt take away that he had the opportunity and therefore the initial luck.

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    They get one blocking manouver, which is one too many IMO.
    Its too hard and dangerous to pass as is.

There's one more unwritten rule; " Paybacks a b1tch ".

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    sounds like these boys would fit right in here on fchat :D

Alonso does behave like a smug bastard though and good to see Schumassa getting riled enough to have a go at him but I think FA may use this to his advantage in future confrontations on the track, I know I would :)

Massa should probably have just said "two can play that game" and winked at him .. .then he would have Alonso second guessing, a lot of this is in the mind at this level

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Thrilling race and one of the most interesting in recent history imo. That very near multiple car pile up at turn 5 was beyond belief!
    I just don't like Alonso but he is a very talented driver. Very sorry about kimis car as he had the measure of Alonso through the mid race and that would have been a great battle.
    Thought Fellipe did a good job and it was bad luck the rain came as FA is a better wet driver. Nice to see some new blood on the podium.
    All in all a very intriguing race.
    As much as I hate to admit it, Ferrari's chances seem dim at the constructors as FA and Lewis are just too consistent and fast to regain so many points, but I would love to see it get very close at least.

16. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    i can see a downside to your theoretical "no blocking rule"

assuming 2 pretty equally matched drivers are close to one another, the 2nd place man would be best of sticking on the tail of the leader until the last genuine passing point on the final lap - hes then "allowed" past under your "no blocking rule" and wins

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
  18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    blue flag is faster driver behind you and you are being lapped, and in F1 with the length of the disturbed air behind each car this will be shown when the following car is within a couple of seconds

blue flags are not shown to competing cars, and blocking (defending) is a part of racecraft whether you like it or not (I don't but that is part of the "skill")

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    You must have missed the beginning of the race when Massa held his own in the wet. Tire vibrations lost the race at the end, not his lack of skill. He's shown much improvement in the wet. All in all a great race to watch despite the results.

21. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Exactly....Cant believe anyone watching racing does not know that. lol

22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Then why even have a race? Lets let the person that has the fastest lap after Saturday just be handed the trophy since clearly everyone else will have to put up no fight and let him by whenever he starts getting close to them on the track....

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    +100

24. V12scream

V12scream Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    Gettysburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Great race to watch, but a bit farcical.

If you watch the incident with RS when he went off, he kept looking at the track. I thought he was waiting to flip off the guy HE hit as he lapped, but I think he was looking at the pit entrance. For a second he stutter steps TOWARDS THE HOT TRACK!!! Then the steward on the right yelled at him, he starts to go away from the track and the other steward comes up to make sure he continues OFF, and that's when the shove happened. The race marshalls were just trying to save Ralf from his own stupidity. IMHO, Kimi's shove they always show is much better ;)

I think there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between being pushed on the track by a marshall (still - not allowed) and actually being lifted by a crane in a running car with the driver still in it! And, the driver is allowed to rejoin the race and even given the Bashcar "Lucky Dog" fly by? Complete and utter BS! What if the center of balance of the McLaren was such that the whole nose tilted forward (as seen in the past with ballast) and the tow line hit the driver?

What was with the blue flag on LH? I think RD was so worried about being accused of LH slowing Massa for FA, that he didn't want any chance of a problem.

I think Kimi would have passed FA has he not had his problems. He was really gaining on him and it would have been a great battle.

FA's pass on Massa - you knew it was coming. If FA would have been damaged by Massa's childish turn-in, this would be really ugly. Massa knew right where he was, FA was on the inside line, and Massa turned in out of frustration.

Radio - they always are on the radio with the drivers. One would think that after a car goes off due to flooding in a turn, they would immediately warn the other drivers. OK, maybe not the first, or maybe not the second, but after the sixth! WTF!

The "2-hour" rule seems selective at best. I think more would have cried foul if they actually called it at 2 hrs.

I was pulling for Wurz to pass Webber, and he almost got it!

Poor Scott Speed. I want him to do well, but STR is really having troubles. Anyone know if S. Bourdais can be released from his IRL contract early to race in F1? If so, I'm betting Gerhard sh!tcans Scott before the season is over :(

I would have really enjoyed Kimi winning and FA second for the sake of a closer championship season.

We can only hope it rains in Hungary - it is usually a procession.

Cheers,

Henry

25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I most certainly wasn't !!!

Webber has had a poor run of luck with the POS he has been driving and it was great to see one of these cars finally hold together long enough for him to show his worth ..... I may be biased :)