Internet Providers And Connection Problems | FerrariChat

Internet Providers And Connection Problems

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by racespecferrari, Jul 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I've been having loads of problems with Aol connecting in the last couple of weeks. Has anyone else had this problem.

Also those of you with other Isp's do you have hassle free connections and if yes who are you with. As I am getting pretty peaved off having to re-install Aol software at least twice a week.

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    AOL software is spawn of the devil - always has been. Run in the other direction as fast as you can!

It can also be incredibly difficult to remove fully and properly. Often the fastest way to get rid of it is to wipe the disk & resinstall win-doze (after backing up your data & ensuring you have all your windows & software disks & licence keys available of course!).

I'm on a Virgin Media 4MB cable connection. Its been very solid for the 4 years I've had it - but then I think I'm still the only connection on an entire cabinet in the street - so this segment of the network is not exactly loaded :D

3. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam

AOL is a proper pain in the rrse...but since my computer bud put me on a wireless thingummyjig I can just go straight to Internet Explorer without having to start the demon that is AOL...might be worth a punt???

4. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I have been with them for about 3 years with only the occassional problem. But the last couple of weeks have been a painus in the anus. I think its time I changed. I had been looking at a virgin package they offer on tv which was fairly good priced

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    much as i loath bt, their internet package is pretty good

6. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    I'm tempted to go back to them as with Orange i have interruptions virtually every day and now some of my regularly visited sites i can't even get up at all!

All internet and computers i hate with a venemous passion

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    How long have you been having the interruptions?

I know a lot of sites are down at the moment due to the servers being flooded. One company I am dealing with at the moment for some carbon parts have their server in Gloucestershire and their site is down

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    flooding is the new excuse at the moment when i was buying from europe it was the container ship that ran aground that was the problem then

9. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    With the interruptions its been awhile but with the lack of access to certain sites, that is more recent.

10. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    did you pay for th goods this time

11. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    :D:D:D

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    unlikely

13. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M

I have had Tiscali for a number of years without any major hassles. My father has eventually got rid of AOL - truly awful experience.

As an aside when I bought my Dell pc it had Tiscali, BT and AOL packages already installed - the idea being that you could fire up whatever one you wanted. What I found was that if you attempted to connect over the web to Tiscali or BT to sign up, the process kept being killed. Monitoring the task mangler revealed that the AOL software would launch every minute or so - killing the connection to Tiscali or BT... once I wiped AOL from the pc I was able to connect to Tiscali.

14. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    AOL HAAAAAAAAAA i hate them :( i cant get rid of them and their service is kraup, Pete i have been having similar problems to you :(

15. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    AOL is a joke, I hate the software and have had numerous problems. It amazes me that having changed banking details with them something like 8 times, they still dont seen to be able to bill the right account. Idiots.

Connection wise, I always used to find it worse during the early evening and during the school holidays. I've now gone wireless with them (free router etc, and its simple to set up) and have relatively few problems. I'd recommend this route if you're happy to stay with AOL.

One realy pet peave is that you cant link up you AOL sig-name to an e-mail package. What a joke!

16. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Guys, don't hang around sign up with BT, I have been using BT Internet since 1996 and now use BT Connect. I have 3 DSL lines and very, very rarely have any problems at all.
    Mind you I do work for BT's Internet albeit doing the abuse management stuff :D So by signing up with BT you can help support my motoring addiction :cool:
    Cheers
    Nick