Anyone bought a garage lift? | FerrariChat

Anyone bought a garage lift?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CUE99T, Jul 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Like one of these..........

http://www.completehydraulic.com/4post.html

we see them in the US all the time, but does anyone have one in the UK.

Thinking of putting one in as my next new toy needs an internal home and I might not have the space with only a 2 car garage.

Do I need to get a roller type garage door?

2. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    No practical advice I'm afraid, but a 4 post lift is ubercool in a private garage! :D

My garage is under the house so I don't have the headroom. :(

3. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    From $1600... blimey that's a gift at the current exchange rate (or without it) Think it's headroom that would be the factor in most garages.

4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Sadly thats the issue with me. Otherwise I would have got one off fleabay

5. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    I bought a 2 post from ebay, bloke imported them from US. they were 240v single phase. like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-LIFT-2-POST-300KG-CAPACITY-SINGLE-PHASE-230V-NEW_W0QQitemZ170132312925QQihZ007QQcategoryZ108783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    beware most garage lifts are 3 phase.
    Been fairly happy with it although took some work to bleed it properly. It certainly makes work on car a breeze, i have placed 4 paving slabs under the wheels to give enough height for arms to go under car with ease, also helps know when car is in right position.
    I use it in preference to a jack for even small jobs. But have also used it to remove fuel tank and gearbox, makes life so easy, dont know why i didnt get one years ago! And it takes up to 3 ton so handles heavy cars with ease as well.

6. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul

cheers that looks cool.

Would it harm a car if it were to sit on that for months on end like a storage unit?

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Might not do the suspension much good to have it at full extension for that long. 2 Post lifts are best for working on the car, drive on 4 post lifts are best for storage.

I.

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    btw, andy hill has a lift

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    I have a few in my garage:D

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    spoilsport :D

11. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    I just finished building a garage which is designed to take up to 8 cars with four lifts. Although the lifts are not installed yet, eventually I plan to have 1 x 2 posts and 3 x 4 posts lifts. As I just have 5 cars, I am thinking of just putting a 2 post lift first.

If you can easily access the main electricity board, I recommend you to have the 3 phase installed which will operate the lift much quicker. Make sure the concrete floor is level and has at least 1500 mm depth.

For a long term storage, I will go for a 4 post lift which will still enable you to work on the central part of your car from underneath.

Assuming your garage is a standard depth of between 5 and 6 metres, you will most likely to need a roller door (automatic is recommended). I have 2 automatic ones each measuring 4.7 x 3.3 metres. The internal height of the garage is 4 metres to ebale me to store most cars. The floor space is 13 x 6.2 metres.

Hope to see you on Friday at KH.

Mass

12. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
  13. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
  14. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    That looks an ingenious piece of kit

15. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    #16 steveirl, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    A friend of mine bought a decent 2nd hand 4 poster (electric) for circa £400 but it cost him about the same again for a guy to come and set it up in his barn. Bolted to a flat concrete floor.

Pity I don't live just up the road from him any more

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  18. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
  19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    al,
    there's a thread running on cs .bernard's just had one delivered, diy job but 2 people required to assemble . i'll pm u the link

20. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

The chap I bought my 308 from had a 4 post lift in his garage... In London properties this apparently not that uncommon.

Thinking cheap, as I often do.... If you search on Ebay you'll find used examples from £400. Obviously these will need to be moved rebuilt and commissioned. Also beware of machines requiring 3 phase electricity... a problem in a private dwelling environment.

And all ought to be inspected as a piece of lifting aparatus (LOLER regulations) if they were to see professional use. You might still want to get an insurance assessor to check the installation (new or used machine). Royal and Sun Alliance have done our corporate crane inspections, so if you wnat to go down that route ask for their lifting equipment inspection service (01403 232 323).

For personal domestic use I'm not sure that statutory inspections are required. In any case (new or used) I'd get a machine that features some form of mechanical locking (ie: one that doesn't rely on hydraulics alone to hold the load). Also look for some form of drip tray to infill between the ramps (although a sheet of plywood would probably serve!) so that the top car does not drip on the paintwork of the lower.

Garage door, this depends on the space the existing door takes up whenit it is opened. Probably Yes you'd have to change it to give clear "flying hieght".

As you can see I've considered this option for my garage / workshop. Unfortunately I don't quite have the clear height to do it.

Yours,

David

308 GTS carb

21. Matt246

Matt246 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007
    Warrington
    Just read this and if anyone is still thinking about one I got this from Butts of Bawtry

https://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/Shop_Scissor__Mid_Rise__154.html (top one on page)

Only lifts about 50 cm but it actually feels more as you can get right underneath...+ headroom was my problem and could really go any higher

Fast delivery and the ramp is really solid - thought about ebay but after looking at a few I thought I'd rather have from new as opposed to one that I was looking at where it was 100% perfect... except that the safety locking mechanism was broken :-0