Speedo Accuracy | FerrariChat

Speedo Accuracy

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by [email protected], Jul 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I doubted the accuracy of my '95 456GT so I used a GPS navigation unit to check it. I found the speedometer to read about 5 - 6 mph too high at all speeds (up to 60 mph anyway). By contrast I tested an '04 E320 and it was dead nuts on over the same speed range. I was sort of surprised at such a large error on a modern car with an electronic speedometer. But then again, after reading about all the electrical glitches with these cars, I am not that surprised!

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I got exactly the same difference between 40-90 MPH on my 456 GT '95.

Did this against FIVE/5 radars posted along side the roads between Santa Rosa and Ukiah on a 50 mile drive, July 17th. Made it a point to check. Of course the RADARS can be defect or mis-calibrated

greatest thing about a Ferrari: your going 10MPH standing still :)

3. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    On my 575 the speedo reads 8-10% high across the board. I believe they are designed this way.

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I believe that most EU countries require speedos to be optimistic by at least 2%. Switzerland requires an error rate of at least 4% to the positive.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Funny you post this. On my new to me '95 456, I have noticed that the speedo seems to read fast (everyone is passing me like I'm going backwards at an indicated 70 mph, they drive fast in CA, but not that fast). I was intending to take out my GPS to see what the actual speed is, and although I will check anyway, it seems like I have my answer (5 mph to high).

Alberto

6. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Same here

7. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    my 355 idles at 10 mph

does anyone know if the odometer is affected by the speedometer being off?

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I would say yes, since it is a sensor type that works on the revolutions of [I think] either the crank or ??

so, if speed is off, so should the mileage.

anyone see this differently?

9. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    if this is true, shouldn't my odometer increase as i'm idling at 10mph?

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, I finally did the same experiment with the same results up to about 70 mph (closed circuit, non-public street test); 5 to 7 mph too high.

Does anyone know if these are somehow adjustable somehow? I'd like to get mine more accurate if possible.

Thanks.

11. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    yeah my BMW is about 7% off. I wont complain though because it reads fast so when I pass an officer at 80 its probably more like 74

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Speed is measured at the wheels (or on some part rotating the same speed as the wheels), as you can't tell by the rpm of the crank how fast you are, it depends on the gear (-> 4000rpm crank in 1st gear is a bit slower than 4000rpm in fifth gear). Interesting question though, I think they might have kind of a 'system' (however that might look, either mechanical or electronic) to reverse the speedo error. Or otherwise, the odometer works accurate but the 5-10% tolerance (which aren't due to some inaccurate sensor but, as stated, partly forced by law) occur only on the speedo itself.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, I've heard that Mercedes are plagued with electronic glitches and their quality index has steadily declined.

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Just to confirm, both of my BMW's read about 4-5 MPH fast too. Now that I know that, I account for it so I would rather it be accurate. I haven't tested it on my 328 yet.

Has anyone ever used the "My speedo reads 10 MPH high so I didn't realize that I was speeding officer." Hopefully I'll never have to try it, but if the situation arises, I will give it a shot. :)

Gene

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Checked the speedo again this morning --via wife who drove the Mondial T-- against five/5 stationary RADAR dectectors on HW 101 between Santa Rosa and Ukiah. VERDICT: 4 radars = 5 MPH over limit and remaining Radar/#5 = 10MPH over speedo.

I am finding this all over, BUT what I don't know is if those RADARs are calibrated. But, predict since this is a common value all about, that such is the case: min. of 5MPH over speedo shown.

16. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My '89 328 reads high as well. It's showing 65 mph on the speedo when doing 60. I have also checked the odometer against 10 consecutive mile markers. When 10 miles were driven, the odometer registered 10.8 miles. I think that difference is enough to establish that the odometer reads too fast since I doubt highway mile markers would be off by 8% over 10 miles.

17. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    My 550 reads approx 8% faster then actual, have concluded that the mileage on the car is actually 8% lower then read :)

JimEakin and 430sixspeed like this.