Buying Advice / Legal Position | FerrariChat

Buying Advice / Legal Position

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kam, Jul 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kam

Kam Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    London. UK
    Full Name:
    Kam Singh
    Where do you stand if a buy a car privately or through dealer only to find out after it has been involved in a major crash? Not big enough to right the car off but substantial cash payout for repairs as you would expect with an FCAR.

Is the dealer or private seller legally obliged to tell you if it's been a whack or is it buyer beware?

I know if it's been written off i.e. CAT C or D, a dealer is supposed to tell you and if buying privately it would show up on HPI but what if it wasn't a right off?

This is a hypothetical question as I haven't bought anything yet so it's not pointing the finger at any dealer. :)

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if its not recorded and even if the dealer knows i dont think you have any comeback

3. wobbler

wobbler Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    Reading
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Surely if the right questions are asked, ie has the car had any major body work the seller has to disclose this,

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    ask lulu- he had exactly this issue with a 355

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    As did I with my 550, the selling dealer didn't know but even if they had I don't think they'd have been obliged to tell me

6. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tony, don't get me on that one again. Ended up in a right old slanging match and I was only stating facts.

Dealers should and are legally bound to advise of Cat C etc, but when buying private its a case of buyer beware

7. Kam

Kam Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    London. UK
    Full Name:
    Kam Singh
    That's what I was worried about Steve

Agreed, but is it legal or at the sellers discretion

Agreed, remember your situation clearly Steve and won't being dealing with that dealer ever.

General consensus is that there is no legal obligation but a moral one.

I suppose the next logical question is if you know a car (not your own) has been in a big smack should you let a potential buyer know? I know it's a morals question but be interesting to see how many people would let a third party know of damage at the risk of influencing the sale.

8. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wonder if there was a car for sale that forum users knew about and a new forum member joined cos he'd bought the car, wonder if people would say or just be quiet?

I would have to say something as it's morraly wrong not to, I mean I'd want to know within the week so the dealer can have it back or trading standards can visit him!

I tell ya what there is some wrecked exoctica out there that eve dealers don't know about and freely sell unknowlingly too!

I think the bigger dealer could swallow the loss, but a smaller dealer might not manage it.

Seriously......
    Stevef as a trade dealer whats your view on people who sell wronguns and they knwo about it?

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    steve,
    sorry fella, didn't mean to start the nightmare again ;)

i'm a bit surprised that this subject has come up again given the recent happenings closer to all your hearts...people in glass houses and all that ....

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    actually with your experiance you would know more about this than me ????

My opinion on here is that everybody wants to blame the dealer all the time

whats the outcome of this then joe bloggs sells his car to a dealer
    knowing it had had a bump but does not tell the dealer
    then dealer sells it to joe smith
    then joe jones who is a friend of joe bloggs meets joe smith and says thats my mates old car (joe bloggs)its been in a crash thats why he sold it

is the dealer wrong ?????????

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    :eek: