360 F1 clutch is slipping but not all the time...any diagnosis advice? | FerrariChat

360 F1 clutch is slipping but not all the time...any diagnosis advice?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by car_nut, Aug 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. car_nut

car_nut Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Hugh McGowan
    Sorry if this is one of those 360 F1 topics that makes you groan, but I really do need a little advice. In gears 1,2, and R, when moving from a standstill, my 360 clutch is definitely slipping - it does smoke and smell. But:
    1) no overheating warning is given;
    2) in higher gears I don't notice any slippage at all;
    3) the previous owner says the clutch was replaced last year; and
    4) the local Ferrari dealer looked at the SD-2 figures and said they look okay - the dealer says he needs to pull out the gearbox and open it all up to take a look.

Now maybe the dealer is correct, but does anyone have any tips before taking this route? Some perhaps relevant information:
    a) The previous owner says the F1 hydraulic pump was also replaced last year.
    b) The F1 hydraulic fluid was a bit down on its level and I have topped it up (no noticeable improvement though).
    c) There is a small oil leak under the car - not necessarily hydraulic fluid though.
    d) I *think* that the clutch operation is better when it's cold and tends to slip when it's warm - could be my imagination though.

I have a few suspicions of what it could be:
    i) a genuinely worn clutch near the end of its life; or
    ii) oil or hydraulic fluid contaminating the friction plate from a leak - is the release bearing hydraulically operated, I guess so; or
    iii) the clutch temperature sensor has failed and affects the (dis)engagement algorithm by not picking up overheating condiutions; or
    iv) the clutch position sensor could have failed also affecting the (dis)engagement algorithm.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of what to measure or examine before going so far as to removing the gearbox and buying new clutch parts, etc. I do have a workshop manual but I'm unsure where to start with this. So thank you to all the techies out there who go to the trouble of reading this post and who may be able to offer some tips. I'll gladly provide feedback and photos of any procedures I undertake. Cheerio.

2. jim frank

jim frank Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    florida
    Full Name:
    jim
    My 360 F1 clutch slipped twice within 2 weeks in 1st gear with 8000 miles on it. Dealer road it,said "worn bearings,might as well replace the clutch,same labor charge, and if you continue to drive it,it could leave you stranded with additional damage." He gave me an estimate (in front of the car) and I told him I'd think about it.Three months have gone by,2000 miles and not one further incident of slippage. The car straightened itself out!?

3. car_nut

car_nut Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Hugh McGowan
    Er, thanks for the tip on scaring the car to make it cure itself. Sounds a bit too voodoo for me. Still, it's worth a try! In truth, I've driven the car for a while with the problem (but carefully) and it shows no sign of going away. So before I commit to major surgery I'd be happy to try replacing a sensor; make a few test measurements; reset something; etc. Otherwise it's time to break open the toolbox. Thanks again for any tips.