Saw my dream car | FerrariChat

Saw my dream car

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by otterbeinjumper, Aug 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I live in New Albany, Ohio a wealthy Columbus suburb, but rarely a place to spot a super Ferrari. But while driving home Saturday having finished my honey-do list I saw something special. I've been eyeing up a home in the Westerville area that from time to time has some special cars out front. There is nearly always a Lamborghini LM002 out front and occasionally a Diablo. I'm sure the owner also has several other cars as well tucked away in his barn. The LM is really neat to see out and about and being so rare it draws your attention, but as I was passing by this particular Saturday there was a a row of 3 cars in the driveway. A nice pick-up truck, the LM and the car I've been waiting to see for 25 years, an F-40. I wanted to stop, look, question, and take pictures, but I drove past and savored the moment. I got to see THE car and that was enough for me... for now. I hope to have a close encounter in the future, but for now a glimpse from the distance will work. So thanks to the owner who drove to Ohio, I assume for the races (in Lexington) this weekend. You made my day.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Good spot....F40's look so mean in person. You don't realize how wide and low they are until you see one in person!

3. vpr92rt10

vpr92rt10 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    the owner of Evans Automotive on Morse Road has a Red F40 he lives on Sunbury Rd by the damn...

4. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    +1

I spotted one in N. NJ last month and the car is really commands a presence on the road.

5. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    wow,

didn't want to say exactly where i saw it, but you nailed it.

is Mr. Evans friendly? I've been tempted to pull down his drive while passing by, but don't want to impose, but how often are you going to see one of those?

thanks for the great info.

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Great post. Make me want to go for a drive...

7. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I did, in fact, contact the owner. He offerd me an opportunity to come look at the car.

Will fill people in on the up close experience and maybe some pictures as well.

8. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Congrats!! What a nice owner :D

New Albany is a nice place too, visited there a couple years ago :) Les Wexner's house is a little ridiculous.

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ive known George Evans for 10 years. He is a great guy and its really typical that he would invite a complete stranger to come and look at one of his cars.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

10. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great experience!!! George was a class act, very friendly. He took a good half hour out of what seemed to me to be a very busy day at his shop. He and I talked cars and just looked at the F-40. He opened it up as his head tech was cleaning it and preparing it for show in a few weeks. Lots of older Countach and Diablos around as well. I felt guilty that he was neglecting work just to show me his car and talk about his passion. He was very down to earth and I recommend anyone approach him at the show over labor day or any other time for that matter. The car was a USA spec with some minor work done. Removal of front lip and screen, new steering wheel, repainted engine bay, rechipped, new exaust and other minor changes. From the inside the racing seats hug you like a bear. I'm every bit of 6'2" and had plenty of head room. Getting into the car was a challenge, but George coached me through it and took a picture. The engine was not as loud as expected, but sounded amazing none the less. He shared stories about his other Italian and American makes and showed me his desk in his office, a perfectly fine extra Countach motor. He showed me his shop and some of his project cars, but all in all he showed me class. What a stand up guy.

Pictures to come,

Mike

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Mike, great experience! Awaiting pictures!

12. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    so cool. I've always hoped in seeing a F40 while at Mid Ohio but have yet to score. thanks for sharing

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yes, pics please!

14. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    great story

that guy has GREAT taste for sport cars! ;)

15. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    That's fantastic.

16. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    #16 teflon, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There was one there last weekend. I apologize for the focus, I'm not a proficient photographer.

Greg A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
  18. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That is a very nice chain-link fence. Consistent weave pattern of the wire throughout...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    You know what.... Thats a GREAT photo IMHO !!!1! :) As long as there are some other shots... it hurts to see that one if its your only F40 shot :p

20. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    The F40 is the greatest car I have ever driven period.

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
  22. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    :) Thanks. I took several other pics of it both on and off the track. I just liked that one even though it illustrates my complete lack of photography competency.

Greg A

23. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    After seeing the Car a few weeks ago I sent George a thank you note. Just a few days ago he emailed me and asked me to come help this weekend at his columbus italian car show (check www.evansauto.com ). He also told me shotgun in the F-40 was open if I can make it. Needless to say, I cleared my schedule for the next month just to make sure. Lets hope the weather cooperates.

I'll fill everyone in on pics of the show as well as how the ride was (knock on wood) .

I spoke to Georges shop manager last week at an event and He's a great guy too. I hope to some day do business with these guys, they are good honest people.

24. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great Car, Everything I expected it to be and then some. I spent most of the time in the car talking with George about cars in general so I didn't take as much time paying attention to my surroundings. There were bikers, sports cars and even suv owners (suv guy said lets go! at a stop light) trying to hang with us, but you could tell everyone just appreciated a glimpse, much like myself. Lots of head snaps, one car of high schoolers went crazy when they saw us. Keep in mind there was a Diablo roadster in front of us so people were immediately attracted to that, but jaws dropped for the F-40 that followed. George got on it a few times and cut the wheels loose. The car was a freak in 4th at low tourqe and the first three gears mostly broke the wheels loose. I think we saw something around 115, but it felt like 65.

More importantly the Italian Gathering Columbus event was a huge success. George and his partners donated approx 15k toward the Dave Thomas Foundation through patron generosity!

Pictures to come.

Next year please keep your callendars open for the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. I'll be helping George from a marketing standpoint and we hope to grow the show from the 100 or so cars we had this year to 200 plus with in the next few years.

Thanks to George and Tim from Evans, great guys and their pretty good with cars too!

25. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael