348 Hot Start problem......FIXED! | FerrariChat

348 Hot Start problem......FIXED!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ingenere, Jul 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have had an intermittent hot start problem for years in my 348. I have tried clenaing this, and messing with that, including rebuilding the starter...but it always came back.

It finally graduated to a hot and cold start problem. I had the same issue with my TR, and I installed a remote relay that cured the problem for good.

While I was trying to figure out what I had done on the TR, I called a local BAP parts store looking for the Bosch relay that I used....of course they didn't have that particular relay. BUT......they do have a fix. Part #WR-1. It is basically a hard start kit that includes a relay, wire harness and instructions. $25 and 1/2 hour and the 348 is back!

RC2211 likes this.
  2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Coolness.

Is that the Bosch part number?

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yes! I thought that it was a BAP part, but it was a Bosch part #.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I assume it is correct to say that you had a "no crank" problem, rather than a "no fire" problem??

I don't think WR1 is a Bosch relay number, but I could be wrong. That sound like a "kit" number, perhaps, for the relay, harness, and instructions.

Good on you for fixing it yourself!!

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    believe this has been discussed: boosting the power from key to starter was the answer, even Ferrari recommends this for 'hot' start issues on the 348, TR, and 355 engines.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Nice work mate. :):)

Besides Ferraris, this issue is with alot of cars. I even had to do it to my old Ford Fairlane 10yrs ago. :):)
    I never knew that Ferrari recommends this for 'hot' start issues on the 348, 355 and Tr. I have not had any issues with mine, but I may wire in a relay anyways. Will only help the situation. Thanks for sharing Rik. :)

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    sure. I understand the clean wire issues, and starter solenoids, and the alternator [sometimes] issues. But Ferrari of San Francisco, who is owned by the Factory, not a franchise, has this as a 'fix' for these cars. Used to sit in a lot or places, pretending to talk to someone on the cell, while it cooled down, but, not always in time...sometimes took over 1/2 hour <yikes>

Ferrari gave me an $80 fix, installed under dash....will try to get part numbers etc., they did this on the 30k belt change.

NEVER had an issue since. :))

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Cool cool. :):)

9. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Isn´t this the old story with the bullet connectors?

I thought all those problems originated from the bullet connector under the airfilter box.

It is a lot easier to change the cable from the battery to the starter than all this with relays and stuff.

Or am I completely lost here?

Is this another issue?

//B//

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    This is a different problem. This has to do with a voltage drop from the key to the starter. Once you have ruled out the starter and the connector, this is usually the problem. Its a relatively easy fix. It took about 1/2 hour to do. The WR-1 is a Bosch part number for the kit.

11. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    These cars are amazing. Never a dull moment. Now I have something rather queer when it cames to the blower. The fan goes faster when I turn the steering wheel either left or right. Sometimes it even stops when I drive straight forward and starts again when I turn left in a crossroad. I have been crawling under the brake and clutch to see what is going on but nothing to find there. Guess it has something to do with an earth connection somewhere. Rather peculiar if you ask me.'

//B//

Marksurf likes this.
  12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #12 PAP 348, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Needed to replace my battery today so with my head mechanic GG in charge we decided to install a relay into my start circuit for others to use as a guide should they want/need to install one also :)

Pic 1: Starter motor and also the white wire which is the feed off the ignition barrel to start the engine.

Pic 2: My meter reading the start wire voltage before the relay install, 12.05 Volts

Pic 3: Material, 1 12Volt relay, heavy duty wire

Pic 4/5: Bosch relay

Pic 6: My meter reading the start wire voltage after the relay install, 12.75 Volts

Pic 7: Where I mounted the relay, on the right hand upper cam cover plate.

I should of have done this earlier, my engine starts ALOT quicker now. A increase of 0.7 Volts to the starter motor ignition wire, not bad for a couple of hours work, only cost me a few bucks for a relay and some wire.

Hope you enjoy :):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Be VERY careful when doing this. Shrink tube the relay well to waterproof the can.
    Some years back we had a TR getting the engine washed and the starter all of a sudden fired up. Had it been in gear the results could have been terrible.

Dave

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    VERY good post PAP: this would have saved me about $70US.

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #15 PAP 348, Aug 14, 2007
    Hello Dave, Thanks for the warning, I've seen the old style steel cased relays absorb water but never had an issue with the plastic case versions but you never know your luck around here so my head mechanic and I purchased a piece heat shrink to cover the relay usally used to put over the end of high voltage cable after you cut a lenght off, only cost $5.00 too and worked alot better than I expected.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    No worries Rik, I'm glad I could help out :)

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    PaP,

That will work just fine. The TR that started on its own had a plastic relay that once dried out worked fine. Your shrink tube fix would rest all of my concerns with this mod.

Dave

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for your input, That's fair enough with that TR relay, I told my brother what you said and he told me about that heat shrink resin tube, from now on any install I do that tube will be a must for any other relays we install. Would hate to try and cut the shrink off should the relay fail, you could nearly call that relay solid state now with all that resin melted around it now :p :D

19. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Very nice mate.

But can you explain a bit more the wiring itself, what connects in what?? I'll appreciate that, a lot.

Regards,

Mont

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Will do mate. Will get back to you as soon as I can with wiring description. ;);)

21. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    I purchased the Bosch kit. It includes a wiring diagram and all the wires and relay. It took all of 30 minutes to install and my hot start problem is gone for good. That is the correct part number for the kit.

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #22 PAP 348, Aug 15, 2007
    Hello Mont, This is how I wired the relay ;)

Pin 86> White wire that originally goes to the starter motor start soleniod to start engine
    Pin 85> Earth wire to engine
    Pin 30> Heavy duty wire straight from battery positive + post terminal (Fused)
    Pin 87> Heavy duty wire straight to starter motor start soleniod to start engine
    Pin 87a> Unused

Not only did it increase my voltage to my starter motor soleniod by nearly 1 Volt, I should of checked how much extra amps I am pulling now to my starter motor, it must be alot more because my engine has never started so quickly :)

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Is that a 40 amp relay??

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    30A, but Gothy it's only for the pull in soleniod on the starter motor which is more than enough amperage ;)

25. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Many thanks... This way I'll do the same to my Maserati Shamal...
    It was quite a good idea to "post" this issue, here.

Regards,

Mont