360 gear linkage | FerrariChat

360 gear linkage

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lauris, Aug 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie
    hi all,

having difficulty in engaging second gear

problem is not the syncros etc, it is the linkage,

problem does not occur during normal driving, only if you are accelerating flat out from first to second, or high speed down change from third to second, no crunching, just wont go in, then leave for a couple of seconds and it goes in,

dealer has said that the linkage is stretched and needs replaced, but my thoughts are that if this was the case it would do it all the time, and that it is an alignment problem during fast acceleration or de-acceleration where the engine is moving slightly,

any had same problem, or done any work on the gear linkage, or even diagram of what it looks like

thanks
    scott.

car is a UK 2000 manual model with 15000miles,

2. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Had the exact same problem. 1 to 2, and 3 to 2. It took my mechanic severall adjustments to finally get it right. Your linkage needs to be adjusted slighly. Belly cover needs to me off to get to the cables on the gearbox to adjust. It's not hard to adjust but it will take you some time. Make sure to use Redline gearbox oil as well. It will shift as butter. Do a search on that too. There is a lot of info on that problem. Good Luck and keep us updated.

3. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    Scott

I had the same problem before.

The gear linkages have seized on my Modena so they have been re-built. The gear change problem has been rectified so far.

Mass

4. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    sounds like a common problem. i too am suffering from the same problem. been back to the dealer modena ferrari and they advised that i need new gear linkages. i'm not buying it, i think it's an adjustment issue that's all. if under hard acceleration while shifting from first to second i move the gear stick to the right after taking it out of first and then back to the left and down into second the gear will engage with no problems at all. the only problem is taking the gear stick straight down from 1 to 2.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi

Got the same prob..not that it helps you...
    But got a clutch prob now fliud everywhere nightmare interested to know how you go on with this as now mine going to get stripped down so might kill 2 with one stone so to speak..
    I thought my problem may be related but i have a trapped slave seal or something not sure yet ..

Steve

6. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie
    cheers guys, sounds like adjustment, will get the covers off and have a look at the garage !

hi Mass ! not at track tonight,, but up next thursday at dreadnought ?

cheers
    scott.

7. Modena Scotland

Modena Scotland Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Scotland, UK
    Full Name:
    Mass
    Scott

I will not be at the track tonight either. I plan to attend the track day either on 23rd (Dreadnought) or 24th (Alfa Romeo Owners Club), but still have not booked. Have you booked a place already?

Mass

8. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi All,

Not sure if my experience is the same, but on my '99 360 first to second is always difficult for the first few miles or so at the beginning of a drive. The previous owner (and I'm guessing anyone who has ever driven a Ferrari with a manual transmission) thought this to be a servicable mechanical issue, took it to the dealer and was told the car needed motor mounts which were then replaced. I'll defer to the experts on whether that was necessary or not, however for me once the transmission is warmed up after the first few miles of driving the problem goes away completely. Another trick I've noticed works even before the transmission is warmed up is to simply depress and release the clutch once or twice more before shifting into second-- goes right in.

Hope this helps.

JTW

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have this problem I am getting near to solving it. Although i have been told its because the gear box is at the back and when under load when changing gear fast the engine moves or rocks slightly thus changing the adjustment. Or the gear linkage bush mounts may moving.