308 Erratic Engine Behavior Problem | FerrariChat

308 Erratic Engine Behavior Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cray54, Jun 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    My 308 GT4 is behaving in a bizarre fashion. It seems to run fine when parked and revved, but when driving it bucks just enough to know something is wrong. Sometimes when parked, the idle speed fluctuates (+- 200 rpm). Driving at a constant speed it feels like it is missing a cylinder or two periodically. Accelerating, it rarely behaves consistently (at a constant throttle position, it will continuously vary exhaust sound and power). Here is a brief list of things checked / done:

Fuel:
    Fuel lines all good
    Fuel pump good
    Fuel filter good
    Carburetors rebuilt
    Carburetors synchronized

Ignition:
    MSD System installed by PO
    When MSD bypassed, engine runs the same on points
    Plug wires good
    Plug wire connections in cap good
    Plugs do not show fouling
    Timing Set to +7 deg BTDC (both banks)
    Retarded points disabled by PO

I understand it is difficult to diagnose problems over the internet, but I’m running out of thoughts on this one.

Thanks - Chris

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check/replace the fuel pump. The carb bowls sound like they are not being filled with enough pressure. THat, or the power going to the fuel pump should be checked at different throttle openings to make sure it is getting even current and is not cutting in and out. That is my bit! Good luck

3. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I would look closely at your ignition. I have had similar problems due to degraded plug extenders and wire insulation. It may be fine at idle but shorts through the insulation under higher load.

Just a thought. In my rather limited experience, every time I have blamed the fuel system I have been wrong, it was ignition.

4. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I agree, the plug extenders could be a likely candidate as well. You could try removing the extenders and placing the plug wires directly onto the plug and see if there is a difference.

5. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Fuel pump is new, but I did not check the voltage at the connector. Will do.

Plug wires are new, and there are no extenders.

Coils are new, but swapped in spare coils to check if it made any difference (it did not).

Plugs were in good shape, but replaced them just in case. No change.

Cap and rotor look good, however, I do not know their age. Is there an easy way to test if a cap is allowing a misfire?

Thanks for your help, Chris

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    For some reason, an ignition problem is not coming to mind with this one. You have such strong components that even if the rotors were worn down a little, the MSD would not have any issue jumping the gaps.

The voltage at the fuel pump while under load is what keeps coming to mind with your symptoms. I hope it is that simple.

7. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Voltage at the pump is the same as the voltage at the fuse box feed. I did not check it while running, but will later.

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Sounds like plug wires are breaking down under load. Even though they are new you may have a bad connection in the dizzy cap.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Ding ding ding... plug extenders ... check for holes on the sides... if so need to replace...also could mean your wires look good on the outside, but are arcing when voltage goes up... had that happen on my QV.

10. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    I tested the resistance across the plug wires (two different brand new sets), attached them to the distributor cap, and then tested again to make sure there was a good connection. I'll take the connecting pins out and clean each of them and try again.

I do not have plug extenders on the car.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Carbs have fuel bowls and dont instantly empty and refill. Your pump could quit and the motor would run a minute or so if the bowls were full.

I have found a lot of wires that shorted internally, and not just ignition wires, but 12 V power and ground leads. Check everything, including fuses and ignition key switch, and relays.

Check the grounds. There should be two flat uninsulated webbed copper straps from the engine to the frame on each side. Check the ground lead on the battery, it should be the same type of flat cable, but either way check for solid connection on the frame.

I would start from scratch and check the entire ignition system again, caps, rotors, especially for hairline cracks or carbon tracking in the cap. Also check the carbon brush, wire resistance, extensions, plugs. Check the coils too. And if your running points, even if just to fire the MSD, they still should be properly cleaned and gapped. If they were worn to far open or closed, it could cause your symtoms.

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    If it's fuel delivery, a lot of times you can rev to redline when parked, but not when driving. Have you tried revving the car when parked? If it exhibits the exact same symptoms both ways, I agree with the thought it's electrical somewhere. How's your fuse box? Any hot areas, burn marks?

Ken

13. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Sounds like ignition issues with 1 or 2 plugs firing intermittently. When you eliminate the stock extenders, you will find it is very difficult to get the long wire extenders seated properly onto the plugs. Several things to check: 1. Be sure the wires are not bundled. 2. Check wires in the dark to see if there is any arcing. Sometimes you can actually hear the arcing 3. Wiggle wires while running, you never know. 4. Check caps for carbon tracks. 5. Replace condensers. 6. Review all the things written by the others. 7. Be methodical – you’ll find it. Good luck, we’ve all been there.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ummm.... I was under the impression that this was a 308 engine... which I beleive they all had some form of extender... cause the spark plug does not rest at the very top of the head.... so the big long thing on the end of your wire is what I'm talking about....anyhow this is a common thing. before you start replacing fuel parts, I always check ignition stuff... you could also have some leaking oil on the inside of your distributer... I think the carb cars had this issue at times... the seals go after a while... This would be a pain to fix... my bet is still the extenders or an non seated plug end.

15. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Thank you for the suggestions... one thing led to another and I ran out of time. I'm on the road and will be out of town for two weeks. I will begin diagnosing problems again with the help presented here when I get back.

To answer a few of the questions:
    The car is a 308 and did have plug extenders. It no longer has plug extenders as I have bypassed them to help eliminate one more part of the equation. The plug wires I am using are seated on the plug correctly and I have checked this repeatedly. I have checked everything in the ignition system quite carefully, except the points and gap as of yet. I’ll check that when I return.

The car seems to behave well 90% of the time when revved in neutral and tends to exhibit problems only when driven. The fuse box looks to be in good shape, but I will check it more closely.

I have not yet begun to closely review the electronics, so I’ll have to start that soon too!

One big thing [I think]… there is a small oil drip where the distributor base meets its mount. I noticed this leak shortly after the problem arose, but I never correlated the two as I didn’t think oil was actually getting *into the distributor. I replaced the o-ring at the base of the distributor shaft, but maybe there is some oil in the distributor!

Excellent, thank you for all your help thus far, when I am able to start diagnosing again, I’ll post an update.

-Chris

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This indicates a fuel delivery issue, but it could be the result of an electrical problem. I would look at the fuel pump first and be sure it's getting enough electricity. Follow the entire circuit if possible; could be fuse box, relays, bad ground, etc.

It could of course be a clogged fuel line, filter etc. but you said you checked that out. Maybe you should recheck it? Your car has duel gas tanks with a crossover, right? Mine does too, and the T that joins the two tanks to the line going to the fuel pump was a major clog area for me when I first got my car; sediment coated the walls like a bad artery! Get a brass replacement if yours is plastic; modern fuels eat those things up.

Ken

17. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    #17 cray54, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok... I'm back after a short break [Wedding / Honeymoon / House] :). I've taken some time to work on the car a little more, and here are the results from a couple of the things you guys suggested.

*Behaves Poorly When Parked or Driving: I found, on closer inspection, that the car actually behaves quite similarly when parked as when driving. Driving just tends to make the symptoms much more noticeable.
    *Fuel Pump Is Working: I checked the fuel pump voltage and it looks very good. I was unable to check while running, however, I did disconnect the fuel return line and have constant flow there while running and when revved.
    *Fuel Lines are All New
    *Checked Fuse Box: no burn marks or melted areas, they look new so there could have been a previous problem.
    *Oil in Front Distributor: I did find oil in the front distributor. It was not much, but enough to saturate the stud for the second set of points. I repaired the leak, cleaned up, and disconnected the second set of points entirely. The car still behaves the same way.
    *Distributor Caps and Rotors Checked for Carbon Tracking: I have not seen carbon tracking before, but I am fairly certain there is not any.

I had only gotten this far with the “re-checking” of everything when I decided to try something else. I took the inductive pickup from my timing light and wired appropriately to my sound card and took recordings from the front bank coil wire and the rear bank coil wire (both before the distributor, so I’m recording 4 cylinders per channel) since I don’t have a DSO. Attached is what I found. The bottom “trace” is the front bank and the top “trace” is the rear bank. The front bank seems to be firing *fairly consistently [when compared to the rear bank]! The signal coming from the rear bank is quite a bit weaker and not consistent. I tried swapping MSD boxes and got the same results so the boxes and wiring seems to be ok. Tomorrow I’m going to try swapping things (rotor, cap, distributor) one at a time front to back and see what changes the problem.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions,
    Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. mid328

mid328 Karting

May 4, 2006
    Glen burnie, Md
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just went through that problem it was a burnt plug extender, I opted to use taylor 8mm wires and eliminate the plug extenders alltogeter it is fine now,they can make you chase your tail before you discover the problem thats for sure !!!!!!!!

19. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Great idea with the sound card. Think i'd be frightened of vapourising my laptop!! What exactly was 'wired appropriately'?

I had a similar problem to yours but it was easy to find because as the car faltered the tacho went out as well. It turned out to be a faulty connection plug in the low tension side between the distributor and the Crane ignition box of tricks. Only happened under acceleration, cornering and bumps. Stationary it was fine. I replaced the plug with a high quality gold plated version, although just crimping the plug connections a bit firmer may also have worked.

Richard

20. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

he said he doesn't have plug extenders which is weird because every 308 I've seen uses extenders and yes I just replaced mine for exactly the same reason as the first post and obviously so have a few of us so it must be electrical .... have you tried a different set of leads, the ones you think are good may be breaking down under load ??

21. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    As it turns out, swapping the caps made the problem move from the rear bank to the front bank. I also tested individual plug wires with this setup, and noticed some cross-talk, so I did a better job of separating them. The car works substantially better now! It is not as good as it was before the problem started, but I'm getting closer.

mid328 - that is exactly what I did! I had a burnt extender so I eliminated the extenders and went with aftermarket 8mm wires. Except, it didnt solve my problem.

moretti - I have tried 2 new sets of plug wires with no change. The car did come with extenders originally, but I eliminated those first when trying to solve this problem.

ham308 - for wiring the inductive pickup, I used some info I found here: http://jcdperformance.free.fr/powerdyn_me_uk.htm. I did this several years ago on another car with my laptop.

I'll post some new info as I make further progress.

Thanks again for the help - Chris

22. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham

Thanks for the link Christopher. This looks like a fancy bit of software. I tried to write something similar using GPS tracking data from acceleration runs, but the sampling frequency was too low so by the time you got the velocity and the acceleration from the position data it was all getting a bit spikey, (either that or the Ferrari was just accelerating too darn fast :) ). This powerdyn has a really nice interface with power-torque graphs and so on, and even if it is not particularly accurate it should be fine for comparing different mods and settings to find the best set up.

Has anybody tried this on their car?

Richard