Owen Wilson - who would have thunk? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Owen Wilson - who would have thunk?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SrfCity, Aug 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    No offense but this sounds like the standard holistic BS line "the medical establishment WANTS you to stay sick or they dont make money!"

Sorry it doesnt work like that. Its a line used by the folks who really dont understand or don't want to do any research to justify and unfounded and intellectually unsupportable position - but it "sounds good" and those of lesser intellect eat it up "YEeeeeeahhh that makes sense now!"

:)

2. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    That's only what you see because it's all the media shows you. How do you know what else is going on in his life? Your only getting this idea from watching too too much E! and MTV. How could you know what he is going through?

Hope Eoin gets well, he is defenitely one of the best and most likeable actors in recent years IMO.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

And no offense to you but it sounds like you like to just take things for face value....... Maybe YOU need to do a little research ;)

I guess the FDA was just making this up when they issued this warning in '05:

"On June 30, 2005, the FDA issued a Public Health Advisory stating:

Several recent scientific publications suggest the possibility of an increased risk for suicidal behavior in adults who are being treated with antidepressant medications ... Adults being treated with antidepressant medications, particularly those being treated for depression, should be watched closely for worsening of depression and for increased suicidal thinking or behavior. Close watching may be especially important early in treatment, or when the dose is changed, either increased or decreased.

Adults whose symptoms worsen while being treated with antidepressant drugs, including an increase in suicidal thinking or behavior, should be evaluated by their health care professional."

And:

Medical Literature related to SSRIs and suicidality

The medical literature is replete with peer-reviewed medical journal articles concerning the relationship between SSRIs, beginning in the early 1990s with Prozac, and an increased risk of suicidality. (For example, Fisher et al. “Postmarketing surveillance by patient self-monitoring: trazadone versus fluoxetine” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 13, 235-242 (1993), which found "a higher incidence of various psychologic/psychiatric adverse clinical events, including delusions and hallucinations, aggression, and suicidal ideation" with Prozac; Jick et al., “Antidepressants and suicide,” British Medical Journal 1995;310:215-218, which found that Prozac was associated with a higher relative risk of suicidality than the other non-SSRI antidepressants studied; an epidemiological study by Donovan et al., “Deliberate Self-Harm and Antidepressant Drugs: Investigation of a Possible Link,” 177 British Journal of Psychiatry, 551, 554 (2000), which found a statistically significant relative risk of 5.5 for all SSRI antidepressants; also by Donovan et al., “The occurrence of suicide following the prescription of antidepressant drugs,” Archives of Suicide Research 5, 181-192, in which the authors reported: "The ratio between the occurrence of suicide and prescription of different classes of antidepressants, particularly tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), indicated that suicide by any method (violence, gassing, poisoning by ingestion of any substance) was more likely to occur following the prescription of SSRIs than of TCAs.")

Finally even the drug co's admit a link of anti-depressants to suicide:

Testimony from experts for antidepressant makers in lawsuits involving antidepressants and suicide acknowledge the relationship between SSRIs and suicidality
    Even the drug industry’s own experts do not disagree that SSRIs are associated with suicidality. For instance, Dr. Michael Thase, one of GSK’s experts, testified as follows:

A. There is a relationship between starting antidepressants with a higher risk at least with some subclass of reuptake inhibitors with a broader domain of behavior observation of which suicidality is one of the dimensions; agitation, irritability, hostility are others. My understanding is that the composite pooled across studies establishes this risk at about 2 to 3 percent over and above that of the placebo.

Q. Okay. And is that consistent with your clinical practice? 1

A. Yes, it is. . . .

(Deposition of Dr. Michael Thase at p. 11-12.)

Likewise, another GSK expert, Dr. Charles O’Brien, stated at his deposition: “Any given SSRI might be associated with an activation that maybe, there has been an allegation that it increases suicidality. And I can’t say that doesn’t occur in individual cases because this is something that we’ve known since the 1960s about tricyclics [another class of antidepressants].”

(O’Brien depo p. 76.)

According to a GSK expert, Dr. John Mann, who testified in the Tobin v. SmithKline Beecham trial (a case involving a man who, while taking Paxil, killed his wife, daughter, infant granddaughter and then committed suicide. The jury awarded over $6 million dollars to the plaintiff): “I still think that akathisia has the potential when it is severe of contributing to suicidality and aggression.”
    ______

1 Dr. Thase is an expert in adult psychiatry.

4. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If I broke up with Kate Hudson, I'd be depressed too!

6. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He needs a good kick in the ass, its time for him to get his **** together. He is still a loser. Big Boooo Hooo

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Seems you've pulled just enough info off the web to attempt a justification of your limited grasp of the subject. The old axiom "He know's just enough to be dangerous" seems to hold true for you. You sound like a typical conspiracy theorist with your rant about drug companies in a previous post, but then maybe George Bush had taken too many antidepressants when he ordered the twin towers blown up!

The fact is the vast importance and benefit of antidepressants, particularly the SSRI's, far outweighs the acknowledged counterproductive side effects. The end sum is what is important, and with millions of people taking dozens of iterations of SSRI's over the years the fact that the benefits far outweigh the negatives is absurdly obvious.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Speaking of limited grasp? This sweeping statement makes you an expert? If it makes you feel better attacking me then congratulations. Now go take your meds ;)

Wishing Owen Wilson all the best and look forward to his healthy return.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Sorry, Teak's right. Again, its like citing a few people that have died from seat belts and not comparing it to the magnitudes more that have been saved by seat belts.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I feel bad for him. In my family we commonly wonder about just driving off the highway and smashing into a tree. If I am on a building roof I want to jump off, but I have to remind myself not to. Money does not make you happy. Everyone has different hopes and expectations. Hope he gets well, I really like his style of comedy.
    BT

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, great then. Where did I disagree with this? His statement is too broad not to agree with. I'm saying that I believe anti-depressants in some cases can lead to further problems of suicide as outlined above and that the medical community agrees with and according to your earlier statement you seem to disagree with. And, if someone else were in this position I'd hope that they'd realize it and talk to a qualified professional before taking drastic measures.

Anyway, I think this has been flogged to death. I'm out.

12. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    What an ignorant thing to say. You think just because somebody makes a lot of money and has a nice house they have no reason to be miserable & hurting inside? You sound like a bitter little man. How do you know something very serious & hurtful didn't affect his life and cause him to sink into a severe depression? There may or may not be legit reasons for him to be tortured inside, but until you know, why don't you reserve judgment and childish comments about how bad of a person he is? IMO, he's always been a likable guy.

And LOL @ "I will boycott him from now on". I love when people throw this stupid comment into their post to emphasize their point & make it sound more serious than it is. There will probably be more people that want to boycott your posts on Fchat than people that will boycott Owen Wilson for attempting suicide.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  14. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That's sad.

With all that fame and stuff and he still couldn't find anything worth living for?

Kind of makes you wonder what your purpose is in life and who determines that purpose anyways?

Hope he finds it soon.

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Your compassion is heartwarming. I guess it's safe to say you've never known anyone with clinical depression, or you've never known anyone who has taken his or her own life. You're lucky. You're also ignorant. But by all means continue with the simplistic "be a man" and "Big boo hoo" and "He is still a loser" crap.

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    It was reported today that he has been in rehab twice, is a user of cocaine and poss. heroin and that's the reason Kate Hudson moved on............

Access Hollywood

What is it with all the drug use?

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As hard as it is for me to say this there most certainly is a link between anti-depressants/ADHD meds and depression/suicide. Last semester, i was prescribed Strattera for ADHD to replace my concerta which was ruining my sleep and making me shake. Strattera is a black label product meaning (and to quote my doctor) "there have been some tests conducted where suicidal thoughts increase in teens". I should have taken this as a hint considering i have past issues with depression. Within about 2 weeks i was beside myself. I ended up one night trying to drive to Boston from Trenton, NJ at about 11PM to get away from "everything". What everything was, i had no idea. I made it to New York and turned around. The next day i called my mum up in hysterics. I literally wanted to kill myself and i have no idea why. I went home for a few days and was put back on concerta. Now i'm off everything (including concerta), i can say i feel much better.

I really hate when debates come up like this because a lot of people cut and paste what they read in the papers or online but have never been through it. It sucks and until i see proof that the meds DIDN'T cause me to become randomly suicidal, i'm sticking with my idea that it was them. Sure, the benefits for some area great. Good for them but i'm telling you i wouldn't have made it another day if i hadn't come off them.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"Attorney for the actor says Wilson had been taking antidepressants"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20503310/

Sounds like the alleged drug use wasn't helping things too much either....

Also, he's dropped out of of a starring role in the Ben Stiller-directed comedy "Tropic Thunder," which he was scheduled to begin filming in Hawaii within the next few weeks. (Or, maybe kicked out, depending on how you look at it. I'm sure his movie contract doesn't tolerate any drug use.)

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1568482/story.jhtml

It seems like a "drug cocktail" could have led to his rash and desperate behavior. If that's the case I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone choosing that path.

20. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I don't think it's a choice. Once you get dependent on the drugs I don't think you do it for fun anymore. I don't use drugs and one of the reasons is that I'm afraid of becoming addicted. I hope he gets the cure and moves on with his life.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    If you haven't seen it, "Permanent Midnight" is a great movie with Stiller and Wilson. It protrays the life story of the writer of the comedy ALF who was a heroin addict. It might be one of those cases of life imitating art.
    BT

22. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Glad to know you're feeling better.

What non-medical (i.e. non-Rx) help have you been receiving?

23. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, but it sounds like you've made a choice because it's not worth it for you. A choice to stay away. Other's give into the temptation and then it's down hill from there. Some fast, other's slow. I'm starting to think that's what's going on in Owen's case.

For some reason I was just trying to get my head around what happened to this guy with such a laid back persona? I think now I've got a fix on it.(no pun intended ;) )

24. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry for the bump

I got "therapy" after it (my choice and thanks to the advice of someone here. They know who they are and they know i'm very grateful for their help). I did that for about half of 2nd semester. It was a guy i went to once a week. It was free and part of my college so i figured why not. Overall it helped to get some stuff off my chest. Got more "active" in school, met some new people and stuff and cheered up. Summer came along and i've been working out every now and then and just doing healthier things and overall i feel a lot better.

25. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I wonder what percentage of doctors investigate possible nutritional deficiencies that would inhibit the synthesis of serotonin before they prescribe an SSRI.