Trip to Italy- ideas?? | FerrariChat

Trip to Italy- ideas??

Discussion in 'New England' started by Ispeed, Sep 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I am going to Italy with my girlfriend 10/10 to 10/17. (Our return flight has a 1 day layover in Paris.) We are coming in to Rome and will spend 2 days there, then renting a car to drive either of several directions: up the coast to Cinqe Terra, over to Maranello (F museum and tourist tour) and on to Venice (?). Then back to Rome.
    Or: drive down to tha Amalfi coast (good driving down there) and a visit of Capri. We are trying to come up with a plan...

Details: My girlfriend is a "car guy" too, she has a Ford model A cab and has been doing the car show thing since she was young. She hates automatics. Also, at some point on our trip we will become engaged, probably in Paris. We are both looking forward to it, it is not too much of a secret.
    Though I am a P car owner, I am a big F car fan and think F>P today. I am a veteran of 23+ years of motorcycle racing and enjoy cars more now.

Any ideas/opinions?
    Much appreciated, Carl.

2. MARANELLONATION

MARANELLONATION Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    North Andover Ma. 01845
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Ferrante
    Sounds like you may be a little pressed for time so it's the Amalfi Coast and Capri.You won't regret it.
    The area is one of the most beautifull places on earth.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The food is amazing, its fun to drive so you can rent some nice wheels, you can do 100 mph all day & the Cops wont bat an eyelash
    I like Milan a lot

4. AMDBMan

AMDBMan Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Hartford
    Full Name:
    Will
    I went with two friends a couple summers ago and we backpacked around on a relatively tight budget. We were sure to do the Ferrari factory/museum (we got pictures of the Maserati GranTurismo getting romped around the track in camouflage well before I had seen any pics in the magazines!). I must say that I gained far more out of the trip from the tiny little towns on the outskirts of the cities and tourist traps than I did in the big, busy cities. It was really cool to just walk around among the people, rather than be hassled by beggers, street vendors and the overall frustration of hundreds of people snapping pictures at every pebble and stone (although we were just like them). One final note; Sorrento and Capri IS A MUST!!

5. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Capri and the Amalfi coast sound best so far. We were hoping to spend most of our time off the beaten path.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Capri used to be the private island of Roman Emperors

7. capecodder

capecodder Rookie

Oct 21, 2004
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Carl,
    I just came back in June from 2 weeks in Italy. One week in Tuscany and One week in Positano, on the Amalfi coast by Capri. We rented villas at both places. Never made it to Marenello, too much time at the vineyards. There is a company in Lynn, Ma. that justs rents villas in Italy called Parkervillas.com, check them out if you don't have a place. Its about 3 1/2hrs from Rome to Sorrento and Capri. The main Highway is A1 down the middle of the country. Easy drive but tolls. Try to eat at small local rest. you will get great food. Good Luck!

8. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    You will however end up very dissappointed with Italian food here when you get back.

I wouldn't orient a general trip around a one day trip to Ferrari, I'd make another one specifically to do that. Rome is a long way from Maranello if you are only there a short time.

A great trip is around the Monza GP, organize a factory tour, do the GP, with the direct flight from Boston to Milan its even acceptable as a 4 or 5 day long weekend :)

Have fun in Italy, and my particular piece of advice - ask for recommendations in the restaurants, I had some really cool stuff I'd have never ordered on my own.

9. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Carl:
    My wife and I had 10 days in Rome in March of 05 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have dragged this poor girl to nearly every corner of the planet during our 40 years together and Rome is only place she has expressed a desire to see again. So, try to carve a little more time out of the schedule to relax and see Rome. I especially enjoyed the gelato shop around the corner from the Parthenon.

Enjoy,
    Ed

10. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Thanks much for all the ideas, I do believe a few return trips will be necessary in the future to see more at the right pace.
    Keep ideas coming, I am very interested.
    Carl

11. douging

douging Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    Lynn
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #11 douging, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I second this. My new bride and I spent our honeymoon in Positano in 2005 and I wish we could go back every year! Here's my .03:

- south of Rome is not car country. The actual highway is quite boring but getting off the highway and into the villages and roads leading along Amalfi is breathtaking. Although I do remember seeing signs for the town of Aprilia south of Rome, so that might be well worth it for you. If you plan to go to Positano it might be worth flying to Naples instead of Rome. The drive from Rome is a good 3 hours.

- the driving is insane. Rather, the drivers are insane. Period.

- the entire coast of Amalfi is well off the beaten path. It's not touristy like Rome was (we went there for a day) but it's still a vacation spot. They spoke English in Positano which was convenient for us. And we picked up a little Italian there too. There is very little parking in Positano (and most of the Amalfi towns I imagine). A lot of people are on scooters instead of cars.

- We stayed at Albergo Miramare - right in the center of the hill overlooking the town. It was fantastic and I strongly recommend it. If you would like something more in town (less steps to take, see below), the same family owns the Hotel Palazzo Murat.

- you'll lose 10lbs if you stay in Positano for a week even dining on local buffalo mozzarella. The town sits in a valley with very steep hills on three sides. To go anywhere means walking up steep stone steps or following the roads.

Pictures: douging.smugmug . com /Vacation/85055

PM me if you would like more info.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    If you make it to Maranello take the SS12 south to tuscany , it is a incredible road that the test drivers from the factory use. Had a blast trying to keep up with a 430 in my rented diesel Alfa 156. Almafi is a great drive, Tuscany is nice, light traffic this time of year, just stay away from the big cities with the car, Rome especially.
    The Autostrada gets expensive. The best times are when you get lost.

13. Durpen

Durpen Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    South of Boston, USA
    Full Name:
    Kirk N
    Hi Carl,

If you liked Jerusalem Road and Atlantic Ave in Cohasset, then you will love the Amalfi coastline and Capri.

Kirk

14. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    These are great suggestions. We will get out a map and start to narrow it down. I wish we had a month there, I'm sure I wouldn't get tired of it, and there would still be more to see. I am sure the food and drink are off the charts as well.
    Carl
    p.s. Kirk: if I know of a leaf peeping NH drive I will post it here. I have been on a few that were great.

15. Keeper

Keeper Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Funny, I logged on to post about a long NH drive on 10/13.

16. douging

douging Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    Lynn
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Given recent events, I hope you don't look like Whitey Bulger... There was a column on the front page of today's Boston Globe City section that told the story of another couple mistaken for Bulger/Greig and they were held for 7 hours while the frantic Italian police sorted things out.

17. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would go to maranallo again, stay at maranallo again and I would live in one of those apartments near the back of the test track. I guess I liked it there! I want to be buried there.

18. Scuderia Scappaticci

Scuderia Scappaticci Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    NS
  19. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    As of now our travel plans start with 2 days in Rome, then we rent a car and drive north along the coast to Cinque Terra for a few days, then back through Sienna and end up back in Rome. If somehow we have more time than we think, possibly a trip to Maranello before Sienna. Then a 24h lay over in Paris before coming home.
    I will print this thread and bring it with me for all the good suggestions. One thing I did pick up on is not to rush the trip. That sounds wise.
    Thanks for all the good advice.
    Carl
    p.s. I will have to go again, I know that now...

20. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Had a fantastic trip through Italy, a bit rushed but still was excellent.
    Rome for 2 days on foot, saw almost every site there, climbed to the top of the dome at St. Peters Basilica, and bought an oil painting while in Piazza Navonna. Then rented a Fiat Panda (!!!) and drove north along the coast, stopping at Orbitello for a picnic lunch and continuing on to Vernazza (in Cinque Terre) getting there at nightfall. We managed to find a great room with kitchenette for $75 E/night. The road in through Cinque Terre is the twistiest, steepest up/down road I have ever seen with breathtaking cliff views everywhere. Tail-of-the-dragon Italian style!We didn't know what to expect there, but found a great room and friendly people along with hiking that couldn't be beat. The steepness of the terrain was amazing.

We then headed to Maranello to see the Ferrari museum. The mountains you cross from the coast to Modena are non-stop and you are either on a bridge high over a valley or in a tunnel through another mountain. Fantastic. The museum was full of vintage F1 racing Ferraris and important street cars and did not disappoint. A quick trip through the F store for some goodies (though the exchange rate is terrible), and back on our way. There were red 430s on the test track, but the view from the fence left a lot to be desired. They sounded pretty good of course.
    We had some ground to cover, so back to the highway in the Fiat (120 km/h in a micro compact) to make it to the medieval town of San Gimignano for the night. A walled in hill town with some great buildings and towers. We asked a restaurant owner to rent one of his 5 rooms and were in luck ($56 E)

We headed out the next morning for Siena, seeing the Domo and il Campo and having an unbelievable lunch at a restaurant recommended by a native we met. Then we headed out again for another medieval hill town Orvieto. Much the same experience as in San Gimignano with another massive ornate church in the center of town and many shops and restaurants.

The next morning saw us head out early for the Fiumicino airport near Rome and catch a flight to Paris.
    As you can guess by now, we were pretty worn down but arrived still excited to see what we could in Paris before dark. However we found out there would be a transit strike that night leaving us without a way back to the airport the next morning, so that was something on our minds. We were on foot again, and saw Notre Dame and some other sights before finding our hotel and heading out for dinner. My plan was to propose to my girlfriend up on the Eiffel Tower, and luckily enough we had just enough steam to get over there and go up. I had been carrying an engagement ring in my pocket for a week now, so finally I could pull it out and make it official. She was verry happy, and it ended the trip on a high note. She is a "car person" too, so my future looks good for enjoying speed as a hobby. She has a 1930 model A cab.

Phew!!!!! I can say that I absolutely loved Italy: the style, the beautiful countryside, the best art and antiques in the world. Where Italy has marble and Michaelangelo originals, Paris has concrete. I wouldn't know where to start with photos, we probably have 500 pics...
    Next time either I rent a motorcycle, or ship my car over there...
    Carl

21. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    Glad to see you had a great trip. I can't wait to go back. It's been almost 5 years since my trip. Spent 3 1/2 weeks driving everywhere.

Post pics if you have any from the Fiorano Test Track.

AND - Congrats on the engagement!!!!

22. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #22 Ispeed, Oct 19, 2007
    Some pics:
    -inside the Colosseum
    -View from the top of the dome at the Vatican
    -Italy has some really small cars, and some big ones that are just small. Smarter.
    -The hiking in Cinque Terre was unbelievable, and steep.
    -the blue Fiat Panda: we made fun of this little bee-bopper the whole trip, but all it really needed was stiffer suspension and better tires. And more power.:) I hate to be on the bottom of the pile...
    -the Ferrari museum: lots of good stuff there, and many retired war horses from F1. Look at those headers!!!
    -the not so good view to the Fiorano test track.
    -a view of Vernazza from the trail

23. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Thanks for the nice pics.

I'm planning on being there in May.

24. radenton

radenton Rookie

Nov 6, 2007
    US and Europe
    Full Name:
    Royce Denton
    I just returned from 2 years working in Italy. While there I purchased a Ferrari and made friends in the auto clubs. I took in the factory tour, classic center, galeria, and then the Lancia club rented the track for a day. Yes the highest point of a Ferrarista, laps on the factory track in your own car. My Ferrari is a classic now and the Italians love old ones. New cars are nice, but I got more attention then a 430. If you won, then go to the owners site and get on the tour. It's the only way to get inside.

The people are great, the food is great; try the montanna restaurant in marenello. I hope to go back in a couple months again. The trips in my car are priceless. You will have a great time. Good luck.

25. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #25 Ispeed, Dec 15, 2007
    As a follow up to this story, today Amy and I are getting married. Small group, 60 people with the reception at Nashoba Valley Winery. Winter wedding...oh well.
    As I said, Amy is a car girl- so I am including a pic of her in her '30 model A cab. She is good with a clutch and has driving gloves. Wish me luck!!!