My Verizon phone took a schvitz | FerrariChat

My Verizon phone took a schvitz

Discussion in 'Technology' started by FarmerDave, Oct 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Had my cell phone in my pocket while I sat in a hot tub for an hour reading a book last night. It's a goner.

I need a new one ASAP, don't want to pay retail. It was a cheap phone anyway, didn't get the insurance.

Do the local independent wireless resellers usually have old phones laying around for sale? Is ebay my best bet? How do I make sure I'll be able to get it connected to verizon? Any other online resources for cheap phones?

2. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    You can only get phones through verizon. If you buy a used Verizon phone, they won't let you activate it b/c it's not as easy as having a GSM phone thru Cingy or Tmo. If your're out of ur contract, buy a new phone, or get out of Verizon, and come to AT&t or Tmo where even if you destroy ur phone, you can get backup phones for dirt cheap.

3. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    Insurance wouldn't have helped. Assurion who does insurance for Verizon will not cover a water damaged phone. If you are in the middle of a contract then you are in a bad place as they will charge you full price for a new phone or a fee for canceling your contract in order to get a new phone at a discount.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    craigslist? Make sure it's unlocked.......

Call Verizon and extend your contract (if eligible) so they give you a new phone free.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thats what a 12 pack of Shiner'll do to ya!

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Uro! I can't drink that many shiners. Too heavy. I am a big puzzy. If I'm drinking for quantity, it's coors light all the way.

After much research, I can apparently buy one of those verizon prepaid telephones and change it over to my account for no charge. That's worth a try!

I'll report my results, as if anyone gives two shytes.

7. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    Dave, that avatar looks like Lamour's charter boat logo took a bite out of the arms.

8. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    craigslist has good deals

9. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I extended my contract and got the strawberry chocolate and love it. It's PINK! :D

I called a couple weeks after I got it to get insurance, but they said I needed to do it pretty much as soon as I got the phone b/c I could've broken it in the meantime. :(

The last time I broke a VZW phone and had to get a replacement it was $360. RIP OFF!

10. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I never had the insurance but when my VZ phone bit the big one, I walked in, handed em $50 and walked out with a new phone. (Razr)

11. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    my insurance on both my phone is 6 bucks a month,
    if I brake the razor, like 40 dollar for replacement
    brake the dash, 110 dollar replacement
    not bad.

Also covers theft.

12. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I had the same outcome.

13. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    dallas stars

arrrhhhhh!

go canucks!

not trying to start anything ;)

14. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I have back-up assistant on my plan because one night I lost my phone and freaked out b/c I realized that if I didn't find it I would've lost all the numbers in it. Now all of that information is stored online. :)

15. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    If you setup your VZW online, you can switch phones easily.

16. timjz

timjz Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I worked for VZW for 2 years in sales (corporate, not agent). People would bring in old phones to activate all the time, usually they needed a software upgrade but they worked fine. But if you broke your phone without insurance & wanted a fancy new phone, it was time to dig deeper into the wallet. Businesses were the worst, they would buy the cheapest phones or B2B would give them free phones (Moto V120 or some Brokia POS), without insurance of course. Then they would always come into the stores with them broken, smashed or whatever. Once a guy came in with a phone encased in concrete!