What battery maintainer/charger? | FerrariChat

What battery maintainer/charger?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bobby 1, Oct 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobby 1

bobby 1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2007
    Of all the battery maintainers on the market--which one do you ferrari guys suggest?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    +1 battery tender

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That's what I use.

5. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    I have a porsche made one, made to plug into the cigarette lighter. Is that any good?

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
  7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  8. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Useful info. I have just had a look through the Deltran website and sent them an email with some questions on the international model. Any international users? No dealer in Hong Kong so it looks like I will have to order direct. I am planning to buy 5 "Battery tender internationals" and lots of Ring terminal harnesses to wire up my motorcycles and cars. With the extension leads this looks like the easy way to keep everything topped up in the off season. I am building my dream garage right now and want to make the right decisions on battery tenders

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The Deltran seems to be the unit of choice. The Schumacher also works okay (so far). ;)

10. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also have one of the older Harbor Freight battery chargers. The newer ones have coiled retractable leads. I have been using it for over 6 years without problems. However, I do not leave it on one battery continuously. It gets switched between the Ferrari, a '69 Mustang, and my DR field & brush mower. So far no problems and it does a fine job keeping the batteries charged without boiling off the electrolyte.

Bill

11. bobby 1

bobby 1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2007
    Thx for the rep-lies--Bt Plus is the one--as far as connecting it--all the corvette ect forums go with positive posts tnad the negative posts--no need for the neg. to the chassis--just make sure U unploged the battery charged first --no sparks

12. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Deltran for me.

Whichever one you decide to use, make sure to leave it OUTSIDE of the vehicle when hooked up.

You don't want to start a fire if it shorts out or malfunctions.

Cheers

13. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +2 Great product.

14. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Why do you need a battery maintainer? Just drive it every day and you wont HAVE that problem.

Winter a problem? Move down to Florida!

15. ferrariwalla355

Sep 4, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Are you kidding ? There's nowhere to drive in South Florida, (too crowded, too many whacko drivers),
    unless you're into tracking which I am not.
    Had my 355 in Ft Lauderdale for a year, drove only 600 miles. Just had it shipped to Vail, Colorado a
    month ago where we lived part time. Have already driven close to 1,000 miles --
    Steamboat, Aspen, Telluride -- a fabulous
    driving experience even though at higher altitudes loss of power is about 20%. No biggie, just revv
    the engine higher and listen to the beautiful crescendo of Ferrari engine music in God's country.
    Forza Ferrari and Adios, Florida !

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is made by Deltran. ;)

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    To be honest, I have several different ones, and they all seem to work just fine (Napa, Deltran (1.25amp and 800ma), Griot's Garage (made by Yuasa), and Sears. As long as it is a microprocessor controlled, they all do the same thing.

18. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    If your car is a vintage Ferrari, with no computer/radio stuff to lose programming if power is disconnected, then install a battery cutoff, like the green-knob version available from Griot's and mult other sources for $10-15. A simple and cheap solution; about 2 minutes to install.

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Too many cars laaaaa

20. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    + another for Battery Tender I have two and I do drive my cars all things are not mutually exclusive.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    But the battery will still continue to discharge, just at a lower rate. Battery maintainers can be purchased for less than $20 now days, so no reason not to buy one.

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have 14 of the Battery Tenders hooked up to cars and such. It is nice to unplug and take off knowing your battery is up to full charge. I think you will find the BT is a floating charger so your batteries last longer.

I also use the Ford GT charger for the cars I have onsite for the week. Just a little easier. Not up to the Battery Tender technology but serves a purpose.

Lee

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bought mine from Wal Mart for about $15. It comes with 2 or 3 different attachment options, and works great. I plug it into the cigarette lighter.