Bought an old car, Jaguar E-type | FerrariChat

Bought an old car, Jaguar E-type

Discussion in 'British' started by toggie, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am a big fan of certain cars.
    I have a black/tan 2006 F430 F1, so I'm a long-time fan of the f-cars and how they perform.
    I also own an "old school car" (for the last 10 years) which is a red/red 1965 Corvette convertible with a 4-speed and a 327/350hp engine.
    But a month or so ago, I couldn't resist buying one of the cars that was on my life-long list of cars I've always wanted to own.
    I bought a 1970 Jaguar E-Type FHC (what most of us would "incorrectly" call an "XKE Coupe").
    Wow, what an usual car! For example, to honk the horn, you push in the turn signal stalk.
    My wife was non-too-thrilled to find out I bought another old car, but it puts a big smile on my face whenever I drive it.
    I've already started personalizing it. For one thing, I got the vanity license plate.
    Also, I put 6-inch-wide Dayton wire wheels on it so I could mount modern Pirelli tubeless tires. What an incredible improvement in ride quality and handling!
    Here are some pics of my metallic British Racing Green new toy.
    My question is, was I wrong to take the plunge and buy another car I've always wanted?
    So far, my wife is understanding about it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    She's a beaut!! The colour is terrific, and the car looks magnificent. Congratulations!

No, you did not make a mistake making a life's dream come true.

Enjoy it in good health,

Neil

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

no...you did the correct thing! what a nice series 2!!

i am a huge fan and like that you upgraded the wheels to better suit using the car. as a note, they are incredible race cars to watch in the vintage racing series...they are quite fast!!

remember, the e's were soooo far ahead of the rest when they initially were introduced.

enjoy her.

pcb

4. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Its beautiful. No not wrong, Recently I did the same thing and bought a car that I have wanted since High School. 30 years. Shelby Cobra.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    [Men's Club]You did the right thing.[/Men's Club]

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #6 toggie, Nov 2, 2007
  7. That's really nice. I want one also!

8. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    That is beeeautiful and the perfect color!
    Can you take some pictures of the Vette and Jag side by side?

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #9 toggie, Nov 2, 2007
    My 65 'Vette is in the hands of my local zealot mechanic at the moment.
    I'm replacing the red vinyl seats with red leather seats.
    Here are some separate pics of my Corvette from earlier this summer (and an old pic of the au pair nannies that use to live with us - old Corvettes are very much appreciated by the foreigners we've known)

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Both are beautiful cars. I would have a hard time choosing which to drive, I guess its a mood thing, European or American Muscle.

11. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #11 toggie, Nov 2, 2007
    Yes, and for high-revving Italian fun, I've been blessed to have my black f-car:
    (and my wife of 26 years)
    Since this is FerrariChat, I feel compelled to share my compassion and/or passion for the cars coming out of Modena.

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    nice classics!!!! beautiful rides dudes!!

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Black and tan. Can't argue with that. ;)

The Jag is magnificent. Be sure to check out Clarkson's Top Gear special on the 100 best cars of all time. I won't spoil the ending, in case you haven't seen it, but the E-Type does well.

14. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    I read once the E-type described as the best girl-grabber (sic) EVER.
    However, it looks like you did pretty well without the Jag (assuming the lady in the red thing is Toggie's Significant...!)

15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Nice. I have been shopping early (3.8) E's, an OTS. The cars seem to be a mixed bag; even the super restored ones are not necessarily mechanically sound, and there are some pretty scary cars out there, regardless of (high) price. I have shifted my focus to the 140 DHC, but am still keeping my eyes out for the right E.
    Good luck with the car. They are timeless and stunning. The coupe is also more beautiful, but I love top down motoring.

16. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    #16 jgcferrari, Nov 2, 2007
    Congratulations, I am a big fan of the E-type and own a 1971 Series II OTS (Roadster), I drive the car a lot any advice I can give you just pm me I will be glad to help you as I completely restored my car and know quite a bit about this cars.

If you want to make an night and day difference, do something I just did to my car, change those problematic twin Zenith-Strombergs for 3 Weber 45's, the car becomes a different thing, it will be a lottttt faster and also once set up properly it will run much better.

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    In the 60's I owned a couple of E-Types. Back then, they were called the 'Instant Poverty' cars, even by some dealers! With the 'Lucifer' (Lucas) electronics and many other foibles, they were in the shop for repairs more than they were driven.

In the day, it was a rare sight to come upon another E-Type; you might see another one about once a year.

I will say the car was a girl getter though. I was in college at the time, and it wasn't unusual to have a group of girls hanging around the car wanting to meet the owner. In those days, I didn't care why 'I got it', all that mattered was that 'I got it!' :)

Enjoy the car, and I hope your problems will be few. The styling was, and still is, a work of art; ceptin' the 2+2.....that was a big mistake! :(

18. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    HOLY CRA P Look at that!!
    One of the beautiful aspects of the E-type is that the hood opens enough to enable you to really see the motor!
    Jeeze! that's a great pic...More, please.

19. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I remember driving my father's '61 Corvette back in the '80s past the University of Maryland. Girls actually jumped into the car at stoplights. Just opened the door and got in! Wild!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

20. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    LOL many cheaper European cars (small Renaults, Peugeots, Fiats, etc) still employed this method until the mid 90's

Of course not - we all have every opportunity to live an unremarkable life and very few opportunities to live the life of our dreams!!

BTW I'm hugely envious of your cars - there are only a handful of old cars that I would like to own someday and you have 2 of them. Not only that, I've always wanted an E-type FHC (as opposed to a roadster) and I've always wanted a Vette convertible. You have a beautiful F430 too - I much prefer 430's with aluminium dash instead of carbon fibre.

21. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    These Jags are magic. Enjoy in good health.

22. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Gorgeous XKE my friend. Only kicker with manuals is wait till you have to put a clutch in her ;)

Enjoy until then!! ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron

23. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #23 toggie, Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks.
    Yes, I've heard it is a major job to replace the clutch. So far, mine's doing well.

I got the E-type out about a week or two ago for a short drive.
    Here are a couple of recent pics.

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive always had a thing for E type roadsters

Now that prices have taken a dump again I may have to finally get one next year

I think I can find a decent driver for $30k or less

25. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yes, I think they've come down in price. Particularly the Series II cars.
    Like all older cars, get a PPI by a mechanic that really knows what they are doing.

Just make sure you really want to own & drive an older car before buying one.
    Too many people are in love with the shape of certain classic cars but really don't like dealing with 30+ year old technology.
    Part of the fun is the time capsule aspect of driving one around.