Turbo or Engine mod | FerrariChat

Turbo or Engine mod

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jratcliff, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I am trying to make a decision on going the twin turbo route or a full engine mod. The turbo option is about $10k less and would produce 650 hp compared to about 500hp for the engine mod. I am leaning toward the turbo's, but I would like to hear from others. The engine mod would entail a full engine rebuild. Let me clarify that neither would be cheap. This will be done to a 91 Testarossa. Doing nothing is not an option.
    John

2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

The turbo is what, about 30k for stage one? And the 650 hp option is stage 2, correct?

Your rebuild will cost over 40k?

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Anytime you modify a car it should be a package deal for reliability reasons....plus you'll actually enjoy driving it more so it'll seem like money well spent. The gearbox would be my first concern, for example the twin turbo boxer with the TR powerplant had $75K invested in the engine and gearbox with all the mods internally to make it work. From what I hear now, the reliability is still a big problem with components breaking etc....fast car but a headache for the owner. Will you have problems with a 650HP TR - YES! Will it be financially devastating - YES! It can be done just figure on re-engineering the entire power train and engine management.

4. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The turbo option is 32-35k and the engine mod is 45k. I have considered the transaxle in the same vane as the 355 valve guides an overblown concern. If it blows it was under designed and I should rebuild it. I am leaning towards the turbo mod since it will include the EFI mod. I believe that if you live your life always looking for a soft landing you will never experience the initial thrust of the launch.
    John

5. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    What engine mods are you talking about doing for 45k? I have heard in order to get big power out of a TR that you have to swap to a fuel management system like the Motec. I would rather build a rock solid naturally aspirated reliable engine rather than a twin turbo set up.... just my opinion though.

6. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Well this is what got me to this dilemma. The engine would be an EFI, ported and polish head, high compression piston, cammed (sp?), new valves, etc. engine. I agree that I would rather the normally aspirated engine, but I have experienced the dark side (turbo) engines and while nitrous is a cheap thrill, turbo sustains. So, this is where I am at. You can't hurt my feelings (unless you say something about my retarted dog), so give me your best shot. I am about to lay down some serious bucks for this mod so while ultimately you might not change my mind, you might cause me to pause and think.
    John

7. blackdowndraft

blackdowndraft Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Palm Beach, New York
    Full Name:
    Arthur O'Brien
    Hello

Best Idea is sell your TR and buy one that norwood has already built with turbos for someone in the past.

In todays market you will be a straight trade or maybe even spend less money as the modified car market is softer

At that point take the car back to norwood or any one you prefer and for 5 to 10k you can add the latest turbos software etc.

Just my thoughts

Regards,

Art

PS

The TR were often turbo'd and there is a market for those cars

A nitious motor and your on Giligans Island my friend

pss

Do not think your crazy, a friend of mine sold a chopped automatic 400i last month. The destination was Norwood with a twin turbo conversion.

Just do it

8. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    First the nitrous option was never considered (I personally wouldn't have it in any car I owned). I agree a used Norwood modded car might ultimately be cheaper but I would be concerned how hard it had been driven, and I haven't seen any for sale.
    John

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The gearbox case has a support wall for the pinion, its not strong enough to use 650HP the way I would want to. Spend the dough, it'll make for a good thread.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Did they give you any info on what they would do to the heads? I ask because I'm installing TR heads on a 400i block and thinking it's goign to make 550-600hp naturally aspirated....if I can get enough air through the heads that is. I'm getting started putting a flow bench together today and should be ready to get started on the heads in the next several days, so I curious what others have been able to do with these heads.

As far as the NA vs turbo, there is no right answer, but you may be happier with one vs the other depending on how you drive. Turbos really shine in the top 50% of the rpm band and will give you the most bang for you buck. They are ideally suited to the race track, but on the street, depending on how much boost you have, there can be a pretty abrupt change from low power to high power and it you are constantly driving though that power step, you probably won’t be happy. Turbos have their own sound too that you will either like or not. A NA engine has a more ferrari like sound IMO and a smoother power curve, but will never match a turbo car for hp. It’s a tuff call.

I had a supercharger on my QV for years (about 520 hp) and was pretty happy, but I’ve decided to return to the path of light and goodness and install a naturally aspirated 12 in it. I’ll have at least as much power and will not be so close to the limits as the QV engine was at over 20 psi of boost.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    2HP/cubic inch is quite a feat for a N/A engine Mark, what exactly are you doing inside to arrive at this level? I cant see how a TR head could ever flow enough air without boost to acheive the volumetric efficiency needed to make those numbers. The only other way to see that peek number is to spin the engine to 10K rpm or more but it would be just that, a peek number. Using a 4.6 32v cobra engine as an example, ive built them ranging in power from stock to 1000hp with twin turbos at 26psi, 1600HP just means clamping things together better and pumping in more boost. A single centrifugal procharger with around 14psi will make 650HP, 700HP is a smaller pulley away and more fuel. To make the same power on a 4.6 cobra without boost would make the car unpleasant to drive on the street and it would basically be a full race engine. I hope you can get those numbers, Im curious to see how without boost and if you like how it runs.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I understand the power of the darkside very well :)

We'll see what the flow bench has to say once I get set-up and get the head on it. To hit 550 hp at 7500 rpm on a 4.9 liter engine, I need 115-120 CFM at .350" lift and 10" H2O and stock or nearly stock cams. The QV heads which are very very silmilar came up to 114, so there's hope I think. To make 600 I need 130 cfm at 10" H2O and (that might be a stretch) and it needs to spin to 8000. We'll see in the next week or 2 what I can get for flow and that will tell me what I can do for hp.

If it comes up short, I can always add a blower. A very modest 5 psi on a 500 hp enigine is abot 700 hp by my math :)

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    buying a car already built will definately be cheaper

I would advise 500 hp as the trans will always be an issue w more hp, and the more hp the bigger the headache

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The engine can spin to 10K if you put the right rods and pistons in it.

15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Best Idea is sell your TR and buy one that norwood has already built with turbos for someone in the past.

Good luck with that. :cool:

16. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Port and polish, new valve springs (see Norwoods site for further info), cams welded and re-ground, high compression pistons, Motec EFI, and other mods.
    John

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm not going there.....man that would need a LOT of air to feed it.

18. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    I love my turbo TR. I drive the car pretty hard and no drivetrain problems yet. At my next service, I am planning to upgrade engine internals(pistons, bearings, valves) and then increase boost slightly. The car sounds and feels killer! Good luck

19. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA

20. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    For a bit more you can get the 800 HP Norwood Boxer (+ or - 80k) at driversource and have 2 cars.

22. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No actually the guys at Norwood that the way they apply the boost they haven't found that a problem and if it did sounds like that would be a good time for the 512m tranny.
    John