Renewing Passports hard to do now? | FerrariChat

Renewing Passports hard to do now?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Nov 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The whole family has ~6 month expired passports. We need to go get them renewed. I heard it is now a horror show to get a new passport.

Anyone done it lately?

How longs it take for a renewal of an expired one?

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It can be done in as little as 4 weeks (perhaps less, but providing some cushion) by mail; if you pay for express mail both directions. I had mine submitted and returned in July in about 3 weeks, for a 4 week travel date. Be sure to put in a travel date on the app that expresses some urgency. Without expediting, turnaround was supposedly around 8-10 weeks during the summer. It may be better now that we're past the travel season.

If you need it faster than 3-4 weeks, you may still be able to get it issued directly at a regional passport center, but be prepared to show pre-paid tickets as part of your hardship/emergency plea.

I will say the Passport Agency is one of the more flexible ones around. When my Dad died many years ago, I heard about it at midnight; I stayed up and booked a flight overseas at 6AM for a 2PM departure. My wife didn't have a passport at all and we got her to the Los Angeles passport office when they opened, pleaded family death, someone walked her through all the stations and they had a passport issued by noon, just allowing us to make the flight.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks Yin. Not too much hurry, one child wants to do some field trip to Quebec in mid February. It does require passport to go to Canada now-a-days, no?

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yes, Canada now requires a passport. Though they have some kind of temporary waiver right now where they will allow you to pass immigration with the usual paperwork (birth certificate, driver's license, etc) plus a copy of paperwork showing that a passport app is in process. Check the passport site for the details.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I got a new passport back in September. I didn't pay for the expedited service and it got back to me in 10 (yes, ten) days! I got my pics at Wal-Mart because the post office would've charged $15 instead of $7.50 at Wal-Mart. :) A lot of additional workers were hired to take care of the big delays that were happening several months ago. Now that they don't have as much of a workload, they can process them faster...

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That's great service, but they're not admitting to that kind of turn-around publicly ;).

Here's what they're committing to on their site:

"At this time, we are processing routine applications within four to six weeks of receipt. We are processing requests for expedited service within three weeks."

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Don't they want everyone to get the RFID-chipped passports now?

I havent done it anytime recently, but I heard that they were optional and at some point would become mandatory, but it was more of a hassle to get one with the RFID and may be a nightmare once they became mandatory.

Perhaps that's what Uro's heard about?

8. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I renewed mine a few months ago. Took about a month to get.

9. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I got mine in about three weeks this past summer. I was told it could take 12 weeks.

Matt

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    I got mine this summer as well. Took roughly 9 weeks for non-expedited. They told me to expect 10-12 weeks. About a month ago, I read that they have gotten back to their normal turn-around time for passports and that there is no longer a large backlog of passport requests. That doesn't mean that the places to get the passports are slow. I think the demands for them is still large and the lines can move slow, but I think they have the system refined for a quicker processing delivery.

11. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    i received my renewal in about 3 weeks in September. Renewals are usually much shorter than new passports. As long as you send in your old pp as well as new correct pp photos, the process is quite quick.

12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I just did the expedited, and got the new one in less than 2 weeks.

13. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Check http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I'll be getting my daughter's passport renewed in December and this is what a friend of mine just did to get them expedite. Depending where you live call a regional passport agency (travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html) for an appointment, once your are there provide a flight reservation within a couple of weeks and all the paper work. My friend got the appointment the same day he called and his children's passports in two days.

14. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    I just got a new passport (lost my old one when moving) in 6 days with expedited service.

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    There was a waiting list when the boarder rules stiffened.

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I received mine in 8 days. I paid for expedited service and paid overnight to State and overnight from State to me.