New competitors | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New competitors

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferandre, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petert

petert Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Well I could have sworn a friend got an Evo turbo kit etc for about that much and ~500HP, but I won't claim to be an expert on the topic. The point remains... most anyone can point to some cheaper car and justify its value over some more expensive car. People who buy Ferraris do so because they want a Ferrari, not because it's faster than model xyz. I just spent 1/4MM+ on one, and could prob have had 4 faster cars and a new TV for that much.

Ferrari owners I know wouldn't be seen in that sort of boy-racer looking thing (except maybe me... I'd love to have a GTR... in addition!), so doubt there is market overlap. I'm not sure what market Nissan is attempting to address with an $80K car that looks like that.

2. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
    #52 CCCP, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    owning a fcar is not all about speed. if anyone wanted speed, they would super turbo a jap car

4. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
    only 10 years ago, F owners were boasting about the F car's speed and acceleration...now they have changed the tune :)

5. petert

petert Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Yeah, those damn stuck up Ferrari people, always looking for a reason to applaud the marque. Sheesh. Mods, please ban all Ferrari owners / enthusiasts from posting on this site...

6. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    Changed the tune? The 430, 430 Scuderia, and 599 are incredibly fast cars. The 430 Scuderia is wicked on the track. So what's your point? They are all very fast cars. With the 430/GTR comparison, you are comparing a 2004/2005 car to a 2008/2009 car.

7. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
    In case you have missed the entire point of the thread...my point is that once upon a time Ferraris were THE fastest cars money could buy, stock. Fast forward to today, we have cars like Nissans outpacing Ferraris straight out of the factory... Seems like the performance gap has finally dissappeared and the Ferrari needs to up their performance just a bit... Buggati is doing it... :)

8. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    Apparently, you missed the point of the entire thread. The point was: will the GTR affect the Ferrari's brand value and the market value of my Ferrari?

In case you missed my point: GTR is a newer car than the 430. Let's see what the 430's successor does against the GTR.

In case you missed everyone else's point: we don't care.

9. Taffy

Taffy Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Cardiff UK
    Full Name:
    Chris T
    When you buy a Ferrari you buy back a childhood dream .......When you buy a Nissan you buy ...............................???????

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Some very close competition is a good thing.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You just stepped on your own toes.
    That one off Ferrari prototype was introduced at least 2 years before any renderings of GTR were known.

12. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    Good sence of humour, dear absent. Very good. Best.

13. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
    Please show me some facts.

14. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    This is a good post because its prompting strong sentiments and overly defensive replies. I won't try to speak for everyone, but as an Fcar owner (including a CS) let me stylize as follows;

Category 1 Buyers) I think 50% of late model ferrari owners got the car as the fullment of a long-programmed dream. They don't track their cars, they take them out for less than 4K miles per year, they delight in being seen in them and wowing viewers with their jewel -- the ferrari. That's what's on their mind, that fuliflls their utility.

Category 2 Buyers) Another 25% are so rich, they just buy the car for their stable, just like they buy $2K watches and $20K jewerly for their partners. They have no budget constraint, and thus have no real need to think ponder, let alone agonize, over the true value of the thing, its just a "gotta have it" item.

Category 3) The remaining 25% are true car performance addicts. Yes, they love the design of F cars, they find the sound intoxicating, and they appreciate all the ooohs and aaahs of fan club riders (who doesn't) But performance is their bottom line and they are vitally aware of creative competitors. When they park $200-300K in their F car, their radar screen DEFINITELY picks up on the performance of, say, and new Audi R8 and the Nissan GT-R, if not the latest corvette. These competitor cars are being produced by highly creative, motivated car lovers that aspire to produce something stellar 'out of the box' so to speak. I'm 100% certain Ferrari is worried about them too, though Ferrari will always be able to rely on purchases by the 'category' 1 and 2 buyers I've noted above.

Competition is, of course, healthy. But when you have to convince buyers your car is worth $300K when others are producing enticing exotics for less than 50% of the price, you have something to worry about.

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm first on the list for a GT-R in the state of Oklahoma, this does not mean it would EVER replace the Ferrari. I don't care how fast it is, you simply cannot compare ANY car to a Ferrari.

16. onlyreal

onlyreal Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    oguz goker
    the thing is i may buy a gtr instead of bmw 5 i have

it has 4 seats right? daily usable ?

replacing ferrari with a nissan :)

as a 20s guy maybe i learnt something fast because of business :) credibility is everything

so if you come to a ferrari owner say "hey i have gtr which is faster than your car bla bla, only answer you can take from him will be probably

"okke you the best; go on :) "

or the answer i gave to the corvette guy with his girl friend on car who is trying to race with two days ago(430 spyder my car)
    "i have a porsche in house, let me know we can race one day with it, this car is different class with your one, go on :) "

i dont think that guy will ever come and try to race with an f car again. Simply if you are owning a f-car you are in different class then these all evo subaru gtr vs vs

17. petert

petert Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    #67 petert, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    boy, that is one fugly car!!! Anyone who thinks this looks anything like any Ferrari needs an immediate ophthalmology consult and and an MRI of the brain also.........

19. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    +1

Thats car is really ugly. Only totally blind man can compare it to Ferraris.

20. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    The GtR is the Pontiac Aztec of Nissans

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  22. tougebear

tougebear Rookie

Jul 18, 2007
    Wow, it's getting hostile in here.

As far as my opinion, I would go with Peter Hatch's post on page 1.

I've owned and driven earlier versions of the GT-R on both the streets and on the track and those doesn't compare to the feeling of driving up and down the street with a 360. There's a certain feeling you get from driving a Ferrari that even an 800 HP GT-R can not compare to.

23. petert

petert Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Agreed 0-60 times don't define the car. I had my yellow 430 and a Z06 at the same time. The Z06 felt faster and probably was slightly faster, awesome car, but compared to 430 it just felt numb and unruly and even terrifying (punch it in 2nd on freeway at 60 and you do a tail-wagging burnout!) ... I've also had a GT3, modified Turbo, Elise, Boxster, C6, others ... and I still have an M6. To me, none even come close to 430 feel. Total feedback, nimble, not harsh, responsive ... I've never driven any other Ferrari, but if I was given only one word to describe how this one drives I would say "inspirational". For me it doesn't need more power... that would just get me in more trouble.

I might consider a GTR for track days though a (almost as weird looking) used 350Z with suspension and stickies would prob be good enough and a whole lot cheaper... tough to get past $85K for a Nissan. No way I'm going to expose 430 to Willow Springs sandblasting / rubber crap (well maybe a couple of laps just to see how it feels!).

24. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    I must confess that I am somewhat baffled by the attention the GT-R is getting in this forum. Sure, this car has been the boy racer fantasy car for some time, probably because its ancestors were available only in foreign markets. However, and with all due respect to the Nissan crowd (the 350Z Nismo is a great track car) and the GT-R, there are MANY other cars that will stomp it into the ground, GT2, ZO6, Ford GT, 997TT, etc. IMO, the car is bloated

Tell me again how we got to the point where we are dignifying the GT-R by comparing it to the Ferrari? How many F1 championships has Nissan won again?

25. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.

I think the GT-R on paper is one of the best cars out there, no doubt. I think it's not too bad looking, in a Japanese kinda way also, although certainly no F-car in terms of aesthetics. That said, you mentioned the NSX, and while it was not a Ferrari in some ways, it certainly had a huge impact in making Ferrari sit up and take notice. Without it, the F355 might not have been much of an improvement over the 348, and 2005 could be seeing the 360 just being released. Ferrari improved performance and reliability as a result of the NSX. Possibly cars like the GT-R will make them strive for more improvements, even though I think the NSX was far and away a closer competitor to an F-car than the Nissan will ever be.