CAMPAGNALO 7.5 width 14" 308 Wheels | FerrariChat

CAMPAGNALO 7.5 width 14" 308 Wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by 360C, Nov 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 360C, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am looking to buy a set of 7.5 inch width 14" CAMPAGNALO wheels for my 308 GTB. As everyone probably knows, the 308's had an original 7.5 inch wheel option when new. It seems that Ferrari used 2 suppliers at the time, Campagnalo and a bit later Cromodora. The Campagnalo wheels are not embossed with "Ferrari" and "7.5 x 14" sizing and require stickers. The Cromodora's had embossing of the sizing and Ferrari emblems in the mould. Additionally, the Campagnalo wheels had a slightly different triangular or straight sides in the hub (see pic 1). The Cromodoras had a more rounded hub (pic 2).

My car came with the 6.5 inch Campagnalo's originally (pic 3).

Does anybody have a set of Campagnalo's for sale by any chance? I took a chance and bought 3 on ebay and when they turned up, they were Cromodora's :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Just curious, but how do you know whether it was Cromodora or Campagnolo that your car originally came with? Mine has a mix of three Campagnolo and 2 Cromodora -- I've been told that it wasn't unheard of for the factory to put both makes on a car, but I'm not so sure about that.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I don't know how you know what the car came with, but I know that BigTex is the man to ask about all things related to these wheels. Yo Bubba, where are you???

I think eBay is your friend in issues relating to buying Ferrari wheels! Be patient, set up a search and wait.

Birdman

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    My 1980 gtsi had a great looking set that i replaced with 16inch repro's. I don't know who the manufacture was or if they're 7 or 7.5 inches though.

5. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My car has been in the family since new in 1978. It was the Melbourne motor show car that year and my late father bought it soon after. I purchased it from my father in 1986 when he needed the money to buy a 275 GTB/4. It has been in continuous family ownership since 1978, so I can say with 100% certainty that my car came with 6.5" Camapagnalo's from the factory :) Other cars come and go; but this little 308 will stay with me forever!

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think that they were Cromodoras by that year. Someone told me the Campagnalo's ceased around 1979; but I am not 100% sure.

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

A mate and I have been buying these wheels off eBay for a few years now. The Campagnalo's are by far the hardest to find. Between us we have one complete set of Cromodora's and partial sets of Campagnalo's and Cromodora's.

There is actually a 3rd type of 308 7.5" wheel. It has the Cromodora curved centres and no embossing of "Ferrari" and the sizing- like the Campagnalo wheel. They are not great at all as they are VERY heavy. This suggests that they are made out of a different alloy material. These neither look "right" or perform as well. We have 2 of these mutants in our collection.

8. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    My 79 GT4 came with the 7.5 14 inch Campagnalo's. Try finding someone with a Series II GT4 who has upgraded their wheels. I'd sell you mine, but think it best to keep the original wheels with the car to keep it to spec.

Good luck. John

9. 8KRedRacer

8KRedRacer Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Georgetown, KY USA
    Full Name:
    Alan Bennett
    #9 8KRedRacer, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. mike308gts

mike308gts Karting

Aug 28, 2006
    Washington NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think I have a set of what you need. I bought a set of 14" wheels off E-Bay a while back needing a spare for my 79 308 GTS. I needed a Cromadora wheel and got a set of Compalangos.
    They are 14 x 7.5 . No markings on the front of them but on the back they are embossed Compalangos. I am going away this weekend but if they might be what you need contact me. I will send pictures if needed.

Mike

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok, so sppedline is the company that makes the "mutant" wheels that are a mix of Campagnalo and Cromodora styles. These are a bit heavy, thanks anyway for responding :)

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok, if you can put up some photo's of them that would be great. PM me for my email if that is easier.

13. kgantzer

kgantzer Rookie

Apr 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kurt Gantzer
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hi! Just saw the Thread...

Birdman you should have PM'd!! LOL! It wouldn't matter, she changed the locks last week, with my terminal inside....:rolleyes:

I STRONGLY doubt the Factory would have sent a car out with a mixed set......

Chromodora was the first supplier, IMO.

Campagnolo cleaned up the casting a little bit the edges are sharper at the bolt holes and the rim as well....

Speedline was the last vendor, as some have said..more prevelant on the 79 80's cars, a different third casting as well.

So they are not really interchangable aesthetically, even though they are the same overall dimensions.

I have two sets of Campy's and two sets of Chromos, the Campys are the ones that have the extra lettering cast into the spare rim, the fifth one.

I noticed that add on FerrariAds, that's a good deal, IMO. You have to really work at putting a set together, it has taken me YEARS to get a set ready for #22127.......well, I know I don't stay on task very well!

HTH.

360C let me know, if I can help you search over here to complete a partial set.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, Alan!

You wanna sell those???? :D :D :D

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am really after a set of Campagnalos if you want to part with one or both of your sets :)

We ended up with partial sets of Cromodoras along the way. Being more than a bit anal retentive about these things, only the Campagnalos will do.

I reckon that the Campagnalos came first as my mate's 308 Glass car is a very early production and it has 6.5 inch Campagnalos. Interesting!

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    i have a set that i'm very happy not to sell you :)

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You have Cromodora's so feel free to hang on to them :)

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a Campy for you...maybe both of them??????

You may be right on which came first, and it wouldn;t be the first time Enzo played one vendor against the other concurrently...recall they ran on both Goodyear AND Firestones about that same time!!

Bag those two or I will....LOL!

I may reload and go for some Speedlines as well, interesting note about the weight/alloys used.......I'm mostly street/show so it don't matter to me.......just gathering them all up as I run three cars and the potholes in Houston rival craters of the Moon.....

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not stickers actually I think it's silk screened printing...but my guys replicate it with vinyl lettering these days......

22. mike308gts

mike308gts Karting

Aug 28, 2006
    Washington NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have 4 of those wheels.

Mike

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This will be our 14" wheel thread then! LOL!

I need to get those 14" tires mounted up Goodyear sent last week from Europe, looks like half the planes in the EU were involved...ROTFLMAO!

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have what he needs, then....hopefully freight to Oz won't be too much........where's the spare one???