Best Cars for winter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Cars for winter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ferraritor, Dec 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Subaru WRX

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    yeah? my friend, the "other" P-car junkie, had a 996-C4 that he tried to use on the hills up here and failed. curious if you've had different experiences.

I'm still stickin' with my ancient Honda for snow - great fun driving around all the stuck SUV's this past weekend :)

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

In "ANY" car equipped with.......PSM/ASR/ESP/etc what you have to do in the winter when starting up a hill from a stop, or moving very slowly in traffic up a hill, is turn off the traction control system first. Also, snow tires wouldn't hurt. Did he have those ? I have never had trouble at all. I bet he had summer tires. With Z rated summers and traction control and 4wheel drive, you are still in trouble.

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    not sure about tires, likely did have traction control still on. I do recall the sound of panic as he recounted his experience sliding downhill while trying to turn/accelerate into his street. Don't even think the car made it back to his garage after that, straight to the dealer for an SUV I think.

5. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd

Tom you live in a castle on the top of a mountain.

6. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    Lancia Delta S4 Group B Stradale

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    We are talking winter driving not the Pikes Peak! :D

8. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    I drove my 430 last winter all the time.. When it was left out one week by my friend in a snow storm I went out and bought a G500 from the Ferrari dealer.. Once it thawed the car was back on the road.. The 430 can be driven all year round.. it works for me..

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Shooter !!! with 23,000 cars being produced, its ok if the 430 hits the road in the snow.....its just another car ;)

Slap on some snow tires and that traction control with ABS should be a 300K joy ride to enjoy !

10. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    not unless you install winter tires and rims, both my neighbours own these beasts and they were having trouble making it up the hill on our street, including my daughter will her jeep compass (18 inch wheels and refuses to install winter tires, i give her a couple of more days in this snow before she changes her mind) no problem with my supercharged xjr rwd (winter tires of course)

11. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a rusty 1988 Honda Civic AWD 5 door wagon, with a 5 speed, and a super low 1st gear....

Installed these crazy 13" winter tires from Walmart...and let me tell you, out of the hole, I was killing Cheerokes ....

I even valeted it at club Rumors in St.Sauver, and I caught the valet guys doing donuts with it in the parking lot...lol

12. AndruetBiche

Oct 7, 2006
    Actually the Stradale version is quite civilized and tractable. As an aside, I drove our Lotus Elise most of last winter without snow tires.

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ROLMAO !!

We already have more snow now than we did all of last year combined....:D:D:D:D

14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    1,000' vertical - separates the men from the boys

but the C4 friend was over in Caulfield - not nearly as much vertical, but still some entertaining twists.

Go Michael! :)

15. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    One day I will buy a castle like Toms, until then I will drive my High mileage 348

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

F the TTC...I walk!

17. AndruetBiche

Oct 7, 2006
    So true LOL. I just picked up my seasons pass for Earl Bales - anybody else ski or snowboard there? I go after school with the kids on Mondays and Wednesdays for night skiing/boarding.

18. pnk574

pnk574 Rookie

Jan 14, 2006
    #43 pnk574, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drive a 997 Cab-4 all year round. Winter set-up includes throwing on the hardtop and winter wheel/tire combo. The wheels are 18" (as opposed to the stock 19's), and the rear wheels are a little narrower. This allows for a higher sidewall tire, and the narrower rear tire plows through the snow much better. Of course, this is defiintely the season when 3M film makes plenty of sense. On the other hand, 997 still isn't as much fun to thrash as my old STi:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    thanks! and great pic with the sti

Todd - no castle here, I bet your next RE purchase is bigger than this place, but d&mn Vancouver RE: it'll cost as much to upgrade to an equivalent place with a 3rd garage as the F40 to put in it.

20. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    +1. The best choice!

21. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    have you guys driven these cars you're recomending or just recomending them because they're "cool".

The G500 is JUNK.
    The SUBARU maybe.
    The SRT-8 awesome but not with those wheels.
    The Landrover Lr3 for sure.

The only one i really agree with is keith and the 911 C4, and yes besides the lancia i have driven all of the above cars mentioned

22. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    Thanks !!! Even my dealer thinks im nuts.. I dont think even I would do the snow tire route but then again would make for some fun times..lol And I do have 38k on this one and its a 06 spider.. its the taxi of my cars..

23. arshad

arshad Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Arshad
    Timely thread -- I'm in the process of looking for a new winter beater. I'm kind of partial to a cross-over... something with good visibility/clearance, but not too huge like a full sized SUV. Currently looking at an Infiniti FX35 -- anyone have any experience with it in the winter? I'm only going to use it in the winter so I'll be throwing some good snow tires on there, eg. Haka2's or something. Thoughts?

BTW a friend put snows on his Cayman S and is going to use it as his daily over the winter. Should be an interesting experiment :)

24. NHeerDesign

NHeerDesign Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Isn't it obvious?

Bugatti Veyron.

Hey, it has AWD. :)

Seriously: I'd go for the C4S.

25. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3