Bathroom vents with built in heaters | FerrariChat

Bathroom vents with built in heaters

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mera, Dec 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    One of my bathroom vents is getting very loud and needs to be replaced. I am looking at the Panasonics as they are super quiet. Does anyone have one with a built in heater? How does it work. If you turn on the heat you can not use the vent?

Rodney Dickman
    1990 348 TS

2. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I have a vent that has heat in it.

One wall switch turns on the exhaust fan. Another switch turns on the heat and the fan blows the opposite direction.
    Unit has a light as well. I don't remember the maker.

They are out there.

3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    check out nutone.

4. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    I have the Panasonic Whisper Warm - pretty much the one of the best products out there (do a search, you'll see), and I love it. It heats my 100 sq ft bathroom during the winter (it's 25deg f today) to 'warm while naked' in about five minutes. It has a Heater, Light, night light and exhaust vent. All can be wired on their own circuits (in fact the heater needs it's own (20amp?) from your fuse panel. You CAN run the vent and heater at the same time - they use different motors, although I'm not sure why you would want to. It's damn quiet. I HIGHLY recommend using different switches for each component. In my bathroom, I also have vanity wall lighting and a recessed spot. Those lights are together with and the Panasonic's Light, Nightlight and Vent are in one location as part of one switch plate. The 'regular lights' have 1/2 the plate with a normal vertival flip switch, and the three Panasonic components are in a stacked gang of three horizontal 'rocker' types on the other 1/2. On an adjacent wall to control the heater, I have one of these:

http://www.bellacor.com/detail.cfm?Cat=38&ItemID=96847&partid=nextag-DataFeed

Before installing this timer, we had a regular 'flip' switch. On one occasion I had left the heater ON by accident (remember, it's QUIET) and after 6 hours, the bathroom smelled 'burnt'. The walls were physically hot to the touch and the Panasonic itself could have fried an egg. Now, the unit is supposed to have a thermal shutoff, but perhaps it didn't get hot enough to activate - but it certainly got hot enough to worry us about a fire.....so we got the timer and now no worries. No matter what you decide to go with, I would hook up the heater to a timer like this.