Hmm | FerrariChat

Hmm

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Speedracer38, Dec 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    #1 Speedracer38, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    No photo credit? No royalty check? You need to enforce your copyright, assuming you had it on the original photos.

But nice pictures anyway.

3. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    They had your permission to use the pictures, right?

4. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    The owner of the Gallardo paid me to do a photo shoot of his car.

5. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    wat about the other picture? they get your permission?

6. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Nice pictures as usual.

7. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    nope :(

8. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Jason, I can get you in touch with the folks at SSC. But you should be well informed of your rights and prepared to protect, enforce and defend your rights.

9. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    If the photos arent copyrighted, it's free game.

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You own the copyright as soon as you press the shutter release. Its just harder to go after people if you haven't actually copyrighted them in writing

11. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Yes, in writing. Anyone can claim photos :)

12. adelg88

adelg88 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andrew DelGrosso
    sucks... but ya wanna teach me how to take pics like you do :D

cause so far... i kinda suck lol

13. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He doesn't know what he does, he was just born with a camera in his hands and from then on its history.

Jason, I would take Emil up on getting in contact with the people at SSC, you mine as well get what's already yours. You may even want to talk to a lawyer before hand about it.

14. SPHFerrari

SPHFerrari Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2004
    Mass
    Full Name:
    Spenser
    send them a bill. figure out how much it should be, based on the circulation of dupont registry, and the size on the page. there are some online guidlines for this sort of thing. its going to be expensive, dont be afraid to charge them a lot. along with the bill send a very polite letter explaining that you are the sole owner of these images and that they had no permission to use them, and that if they are not willing to pay your bill then a letter from your attorney will follow.

also look into copyrighting them. they have an inherent copyright as soon as you took them, but you can have them officially copyrighted by the US Copyright Office. this would be much more ironclad if you are forced to take legal action, to which your are clearly entitled. i believe you have a certain amount of time after publication to get them officially copyrighted (may want to look into this further) so get going now.

i would speak to a lawyer now. this is a clear case of copyright violation, with monetary gain no less.

EDIT: what was your arrangement with the owner of the gallardo? paying for a photoshoot doesnt usually mean they have distribution rights, nor that they own the copyrights. in that situation its a little less clear than with the SSC ad.

15. wassabihg

wassabihg Formula 3

Feb 6, 2006
    Hey J.
    I know about the Gallardo picture, since I brought it up to you in Vegas, but are you sure about the SSC? There's usually a ton of people taking pictures, and this one is heavily pshoped. Show us the original one.

16. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Jason give me a shout on the cell.

17. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    #17 Speedracer38, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    I don't want this to be an issue I just thought it was interesting that my pics were popping up in ads here and there.

19. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    well jason you deserve to get paid for it, so try... great pictures

20. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Dude, it IS an issue. People simply cannot use your photographs in ads (i.e. for profit) without your permission. You cannot allow that.

Er... with all due respect, I'm not sure this is true. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but this strikes me as completely wrong. The copyright in an artist's work attaches when the work is created. Jason usually stamps his pictures with his logo at the bottom -- this makes it even more clear. Like someone else said here, he has a clear right I believe, it just may be a bit harder to enforce.

+1

Jason, talk to Emil and to a lawyer (someone who does IP (intellectual property) work).

21. rr87

rr87 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2007
    Europe
    What do you mean by " copyrighted them in writing " ? You mean by putting your name at the bottom of the picture? Or something else? I would appreciate if you explain that.

22. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    hey Jason if it means you getting paid then it is an issue, obviously if you are not bothered by it you would not have said anything ;)

23. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side

I think what Jason is trying to say, is LOOK>....my pictures are showing up everywhere!!!!!!!!!

And yes Jason , they are. But you are an amazing talent with a camera. You should be rewarded for that. So follow some of the advice and get some Legal Counsel on your side. It might not be of any help of what has already passed. But you can protect yourself for the future. Good luck and keep the pictures rolling!!!!

24. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Jason - you're at the beginning of what is going to be a very successful career in this. You're good, no great, and people know it. Don't set a precedent by allowing this to just pass without doing anything at all. Time to take of the nice guy hat and put on your business man hat. You CAN send a message, get paid (and respect), and not make a big deal out of it - all at the same time.

What's the readership of the Dupont Registry - in the seven figures, I would presume. Heck, anyone can now walk into a Stop and Shop, CVS or newsstand and BUY your work without you seeing a penny. Go. Get. Paid.

Might also be time to watermark all your public image postings......

25. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    My dad is a patent attourney, i could ask him if you have grounds to kick those guys in the nuts???