430 Spider going up in flames, anybody have experience? | FerrariChat

430 Spider going up in flames, anybody have experience?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cavallino Motors, Dec 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    We had an incident yesterday at a Toys for Tots event in Florida where after the rally the owner wanted to close the top and aparently oil from the top mechanicsn leaked onto the hot header and caught fire. I was standing talking to the owner while it happened and was stunned. The car ran fine and nothing happened until he started moving the top. We were lucky to get this under control (I had my extinguisher handy and so did two other participants).
    The bad thing is (yet again in the design) it happens right next to the fuel cell of the car.

Has anybody experienced this before?

BTW put fire extinguishers into your cars. Of 120 exotics yesterday we had 3 extinguishers. That is a joke!

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Just $130 buys you an ***AUTOMATIC*** fire extinguisher for your engine bay. I've got mine right over my Ferrari engine/fuel tank.

Special order 'em from West Marine.

Beats having no protection, and those 430's run hot!

3. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I'd be interested to know how they work....automatic meaning it senses heat?

My question is more if anybody has heard anything of that nature before?
    Happened this weekend with thankfully no major consequences but that could have been a design flaw.

4. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    a friend of mine with a 430 spider had the same problem. the oil, that was burning derived from a leak valve/piston for the convertible-mechanism.seems to be a common issue...

5. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Do you know if there is a fix for this from the dealer? Thanks Martin for the heads up on this issue, glad no one was hurt.

6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Different types. Mine holds compressed fire retardent gasses/chems inside a pvc tube. Fire/heat melts the pvc, then the pressurized fire retardent sprays out.

Pretty foolproof.

The sad part is that people will spend money more easily on floor mats than on fire protection.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm confused (which unfortunately appears to be my normal condition now-a-days). I clicked on your link and up pops an interesting device, which I suppose you somehow attach to someplace in the engine compartment. I also went to the West Marine page that has a number of extinguishers.

Would you be so kind as to simply tell me what I should buy for a 550?

Dale

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I bought two 11" Fire Foe extinguishers from West Marine by special order, but you probably need the 17" unit. These guys have it: http://www.sea-fire.com/SF/ProductsSeaFire/PreEngineered/FireFoe/PreEngFire-FoeSpec.html

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not to derail the thread, but the manual for those clearly state that it's not to be used in areas where ambient temps exceed 130 degrees, and that it discharges at a mere 175. Surely in Texas in the summer in an engine compartment is going to exceed those parameters?

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You need a class BC handheld (about $20 at Target), but an ABCD is preferable if it's in your budget for your handheld in the cockpit.

Basically, any fire extinguisher is better than none. Stepping up from that, any automatic fire extinguisher in the engine bay is better than just a handheld in the driver-cockpit, and a handheld in the cockpit plus an automatic in the engine bay is better still.

Once you've got those minimum bases covered, *then* you can get into which fire extinguisher retardents are better (Halon, et al), but such academic debates are for after you've got some level of fire protection already installed in your car...otherwise you risk analysis by paralysis (i.e. doing nothing and having no fire protection because you're still debating gas versus chem, etc.).

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yup. That's what at least one ad says for those units. I mounted mine on my fuel line cooler above my 348 engine. It's seen 101+ F temp Alabama summer days driving in stop and go highway traffic as well on a drift track. It's also seen below freezing driving days. No false discharges.

My thinking when I installed mine was that worst case would be a false discharge from ordinary engine temps setting it off, but that if temps were that high on my fuel cooler lines that I wanted to know about it, anyway.

So now it's been 2 years since it's been installed and the only downside to the unit is that someone always brings up that overly-conservative ad temp "rating" when talking about cheap fire protection (as if everyone is looking for excuses to not have a fire extinguisher in their cars).

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, I was thinking bout dat. It gets real hot under the hood of a 550. In fact, hot enuf to blow a radiator hose. Don't ask how I know. :(

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I went and bellied up to the bar and brought two Halon from Ricambi as my Xmas presents. I'm worth it!

Dale

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Good man!

16. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #16 FLVICE, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Nice setup Edward. Where did you get them?

As far as the leaking pistons/seals in the hood lifts goes, I thought those were gas filled, not oil filled. Guess on the 430s they are oil filled. Might be worth looking at alternative lifters that are gas filled to avoid the oil leaking on the hot headers and related fire potential.

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Good man! Now that's some quality fire protection.

AND...IT'S JUST $125!
    http://www.firefight1.com/prod_ss-30.html

19. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

These are basically the same type I have on my boat. One behind each motor. They have seen many 120 degree days on the Colorado river.

Darrell.

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    looks good!

21. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    The 360 Spider has a hydraulic powered top, I think the 430 is electric not hydraulic

22. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
  23. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I'd far rather go with the clean agent units than with the Fire Foe. Too bad for me that I didn't know about the Clean Agent a couple of years ago when I bought my Fire Foe.

But, as I buy additional Ferraris, I'll add that new stainless steel unit (better discharge temperature) rather than the pvc Fire Foe to them.

I've even changed my Fire Extinguisher link down in my signature below.

That being said, the key problem for *most* people is no fire extinguisher at all in the engine bay. Fire Foe rocks compared to having nothing at all back there!

24. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    sorry, not sure. thats what we were told by the ferrari concessionare in padova, italy, thats where the incident happend, while fueling up the car. they car was after reparation still smoking, so we were told, to drive, until the oil was totally burned, what we then sucessfully did, even though this seemed not to be a trustful idea,.... anyway, it worked, so i assume, that the fluid, that came out from the leak, was of oily composition (sorry for my bad english..). best

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    There are a lot of motors in the 430 top mechanismn but the main is indeed a hydraulic top with oil lines. You can see them when the top opens up.