Aston Martin's 600hp Vantage RS is pretty cool. U like? | FerrariChat

Aston Martin's 600hp Vantage RS is pretty cool. U like?

Discussion in 'British' started by JBsZ06, Dec 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Aston Martin's been busier than ever since it was publicly sawed off the Ford empire earlier this year. First it gave the Rapide sedan the full-speed-ahead sign. And now, opening its new design studio in Gaydon, Aston's managed to wedge its V-12 engine into the smaller Vantage sports car.

The 600-bhp concept takes on most of the body of the Vantage in its transmogrification into the V12 Vantage RS concept, but because the twelve-cylinder powerplant needs more room, Aston's stretched this version of its VH modular architecture to accommodate. The resulting front-engined, rear-drive, 6.0-liter-powered concept is "focussed on extreme performance and dynamics," spelling theirs.

Aston development chief Dr. Ulrich Bez told the crowd gathered for the concept and studio unveiling that if there is "...sufficient demand then we will seriously consider a low volume production run in the near future with a price that will reflect the exclusivity of the car."

Aside from its segment-killing power, the V12 Vantage has undergone bariatric surgery, dropping its weight to roughly 3500 pounds. Like the DBS--newly confirmed for the next James Bond picture--the Vantage RS gets a carbon-fiber hood and trunk, along with carbon-ceramic disc brakes.

With 600 bhp and 509 pound-feet of torque, the Vantage RS can accelerate to 60 mph in less than 4.0 seconds, which would make it the fastest car in Aston Martin history.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    3500 # is still pretty heavy, they should drop another 600 #

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    really down on a/m lately. their cars look so similar to jag xk most people wouldnt know difference. dbs is really a modded db9 for an extra $100k that they try to pass off as a completely different model. i assume this rs is just another set of mods on the dbs.

a/m overall is down compared to their competition. v8 vs 911, dbs vs 599 are both no contest as far as drivers car goes. only car that makes sense is db9 b/c its competition is mostly mid engined.

theyre making more cars and $ than ever before so what do i know?

4. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm pretty impressed by this concept. 600 hp out of 6 liters with that much torque is not too shabby. Most of the other recent AM engines seem to be a generation or two behind the competition in terms of specific output.

5. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    I agree that the Aston lineup isn't as "distinctive" as the styling ques which separate the 911 from the Cayman and Boxster. I think the only Porsche model that the average Joe can distinguish from the others would be the Cayanne.

As far as Aston Martin passing off the the DBS as a completely different model, both the manufacturer and potential buyers are quite clear that it is a modified variant of the DB9:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ton_martin_dbs

I'll quote one paragraph:

"It'll be our halo car and will have superior performance to the now-aged Vanquish," says Aston's Ulrich Bez, before quickly countering: "It's not the Vanquish successor, but another car to raise awareness of the brand." Adds design director Marek Reichman, "The DBS isn't replacing the Vanquish; it's a standalone product based on the DB9."

Your assumption that the RS is just another set of mods on the DBS is incorrect. Aston has placed the V12 from its DBRS9 race car into the V8 Vantage. It should be quite a car, but unfortunately well out of my price range (rumored at over $250K).

More info here:

http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=733&Itemid=229

6. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Sounds like a mean machine to me. Add 4 cylinders and take away weight.....Excellent formula to make any car a hell of a lot better. I like how Aston isnt sticking with the model range formula like all the other manufacturers do. Every AMG Mercedes (aside from the V12s) have the 6.2 liter V8 now but do they all make the same power? No! God forbid a C class make the same amount of horsepower as a CL class.

Aston on the other hand dosent really care. Ulrich Bez - "Vell, Ve have ze base model V8 Vantage. Vhat shall we do now?.......... I know! Let's put a 600 hp V12 racing engine in it"......... Corporate Thinker - "But Dr. Bez, that will make it more powerful than our top of the line model." Dr. Bez - "And Vhats your points?"

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah but to get that weight with the heavier v12 means they eefectivly dropped 400lbs from a Vantage v8. So imagine a 400lb lighter vantage v8 with the power upped on the v8, say a supercharger, ok that adds a bit of weight again, so say a 300lb lighter vantage v8 with say 500 supercharged bhp. Given a vantage v8 is something like 120k the vantage v8 rs i propose would be like 150k. A scuderia killer in all departments. That is the Aston i would buy in a NY minute.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I love AM styling.....and I think this car would be a winner if it was 4-500 pounds lighter. It is too fat at 3,500 pounds.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    I have driven both the AMV and the DB9 in the past year....both were dogs compared to Ferraris, lambos and even porsches and vettes....and not just in speed, but also handling,steering feel, braking and ergonomics...and astons do all look very similar....they will and do depreciate like rocks, so if someone wants one, wait a few years...i forget to mention their horrible reliability record....

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #10 WILLIAM H, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It is a pretty heavy car, but come on it has everything but the kitchen sink in it! They are decked OUT! How much does a freaking 599 weigh? They are damn heavy. If you want to start throwing weight comparisons around why can't Ferrari build a nice super light 360... Lotus does it w/ the Elise??? Does a 360/430 REALLY have to weigh 1100# more than an Elise. I personally DO think it DOES have to weigh that much more because the targeted buyers want a FULLY equipped car, not a stripped car. Same for the A/M but they are starting out heavier from a chassis point of view.

At any rate they are selling all the A/M's they can make and are making more than they EVER HAVE by a LONG SHOT and I hope one day to park a DB9 in my garage! Preferably after the first owner has let the car depreciate all the way down into my price range!

YMMV,
    JM

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I like it, but it sure isn't "light".

13. XJR-15 RACER

XJR-15 RACER Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    I don't really like it. AM is getting quite repetitive. The DBS is nice, but it is too similair to the DB9, and doesn't come anywhere close to the beauty of the DB7

14. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    well to each his own. I think the DB7 is an ugly duck. I love the DB9 and the DBS. The Vantage is cool too. Ive driven a DB9 and its quick. At some point I start wondering, why is it so important to cut another 500lbs from a car when it is already so damn quick. the DB9 satisfied my speed cravings. Im sure the Vantage RS would too.

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like both the DB7 and DB9. My only real issue with the former is the interior design...something they addressed quite well in the DB9.

What is/ever happened to the DB8?

16. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Boll*cks - my wife - who cares less about cars than anyone I know can tell the difference - Jags don't register on her radar but AMs certainly do!

I'll get an AMV8 when I can justify another two seater...

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Don't know for sure, but I suspect they didn't want the name similarity to the xk8.

18. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
    The DB9 is the DB8. The 8 was skipped to illustrate what a jump from the DB7 the DB9 was, and that DB8 would have suggested the car had 8 cylinders.

19. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think Clarkson came to a similar conclusion in that with the DBS, you can't think of it as its own, brand new model. You have to think of it as the "Scuderia" or "Superleggera" version of the DB9 to then appreciate it.

20. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Honestly, I thought the same thing initially.

By chance, I spotted one today, and I can honestly say, Aston's are in their own leage in regard to the XK. The car does have its own appeal and special design traits that are to die for.

However, I will admit the general roofline is incredibly similar to the XK.

21. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
  22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    still do not like this car. its going to cost $350k here, was not initially designed for a v12, more weight over front tires to upset balance, etc. i want my exotics to have mid engine but if you must have a front engined exotic cannot do better than 599

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #23 WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I liked it till I saw how much it was! For that price, I'd get me a good used 550, a 456 (for the Family) and another condo! :D

25. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    oh no you didn't....

:)