355 HVAC ECU | FerrariChat

355 HVAC ECU

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mpodgor, Jan 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Hey can someone tell me where the ECU is for the heating and cooling system? Do they go bad often? I ordered a new stepper motor the runs the heater valve. If that doesn't fix it then it looks like that will be the next thing to replace. What a POS!

2. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Thiught maybe people on here knew something. Guess I was mistaken

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #3 eric355, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is! In the luggage compartment, you have to remove the covering. I have not heard/read that this ECU is prone to fail. Have a look to all the fuses.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    If replacing the ECU is the ultimate option, I would first open it to check for bad soldering. If no sucess, it is most probably the electronic output stage which drives the stepper motor. May be something reparable ... Sorry Daniel :)

6. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Could it also be the circuit board that is integrated with the control knobs? I was having various issues with my HVAC system (only a couple fan speeds worked, temp not regulated correctly, etc.) and replacing the unit with a used pieced from another car did the trick.

7. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Had to replace mine also this past year. A/C and heat worked intermittently, then less and less often. When it was in for the major I asked my mechanic to see if he could figure out what was the problem. He came back with the A/C ECU, said that when he looked in there was corrosion on/in it. Likely due to hose overuse (ie: pressure washing by a previous owner) causing water to get into that area where the ECU sits, and therefore corrosion. Anyway, the definitive diagnosis was made when he swapped out my ECU with one that worked, and all was well. Switching back, all was not well again. With that in mind, on his advice, I then proceeded to look for a used ECU because a new one was $$$ ("stupid money", as my mechanic put it, sorry Daniel). Well, I looked for many months to no avail (eurospares, italian recycling, etc). Eventually, it got cold enough, and I wanted heat enough to just pay the stupid money for it. Good news? The new one, as predicted, fixed the problem 100%, and was a 20 minute replacement job. Bad news? I think the ECU's go bad more than people think, given the difficult time I had finding a used one. Interestingly enough, the ECU didn't look that corroded to me. I even tried the Bosch contact liquid to solve the problem, with no success.

Oh, and after seeing the consequences of pressure washing, etc, I now do a lot of "speed shine" cleaning with Griott's stuff instead of regular car washes with water.

Good luck with your ECU investigation. Before you spend $$$ though, try to temporarily swap the ECU with one that you know works to confirm that's the problem.

8. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Thanks. I have everything exposed. I took an Ohm meter to all the fuses. All good. Even that green one. Here's the deal. The recirc flap moves only a little, the stepper motor doesn't move at all. I have it seperated from the valve. So there is nothing to stop it from moving. Also I found another thing. The water recirc pump (located just forward of the stepper motor) is not running. I removed it and gave it 12 volts on my bench. Runs great. So all these things I suspect are related to a single failure somewhere. I see from the schematic that there is a power module that is mouted on the evap unit that is tied in. I know it supplies juice to the blower fan motor but I'm wondering if it also supplies power to other components. The schematic is a bit difficult to read. Like which wires are hot. How much voltage. Grounds. Etc... I see there is a ground block assy which appears to be behind the left A/C outlet vent. Anyone know if this is a problem. I will attempt to access it and remove any oxidation one the terminals. Basically I'm trying to eliminate everything leading up to the ECU whice is an arm & a leg.I found it on a diagram. Looks like it is to the right of the passenger kick panel on the floor.
    One more little thing while I'm at it. That recirc pump leaks a little. I took the black top peice off. Looks like it's just a worn O-ring. I cannot for the life of me one exactly that size at any suppliers around me. I am sure it is metric size since it's a BOSCH part. Anyone know a part # or correct size to replace it? That's another $800 part. That should be 50. So for now I open the hood and manually turn the water valve to get the right temp. I'm getting very good at it. And I put a bypass hose in where the pump was. The schematic call it an "at idle recirc pump". I guess it assists in moving coolant since it travels from the back of the car forward. This is one bizzare system. Any Tech help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

9. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    I got a used one. I does exactly the same thing. I looked at the circuit board under a magnifier. Even resoldered all connections. I don't think that is the culpret. Thaks for the input.

10. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Very interesting! I am curious. Do you know exactly where that ECU is located? The schematic shows 2. One is the unit with the control knobs & switches. The other appears to be on the passenger side, lower right. Is that correct? Also. Did you get a good look at the ECU? Is it sealed? I'm curious if it comes apart. I am an electronics tech by trade and can possibly find and fix the bad component. Seems like if it's not sealed then moisture could get in there. And How much did you pay? So I can brace myself. Thanks in advance for any info.

11. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    I saw that. I thought that was the suspention ECU. My mechanic told me that. He has been wrong before. So that is definatly it? If so I can see how it could get moisture contamination. Bad place for that.
    Thanks.

12. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Great Pic!

13. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    That is indeed the A/C ECU in the front trunk, passenger side. Black plastic box, approx 1"X4"X4", mounted vertically beside the fuse (the famous "hidden fuse") and held down by a metal piece. The connectors are on the rear of the ECU (two of them), which is a bit of a PITA, but not impossible to disconnect. Once out, the ECU does indeed come apart pretty easily (this is self-explanatory, as you'll see once you have it out). On mine, the corrosion was NOT obvious, but by then my mech had already cleaned it up a bit. As an electronics guy, you may be looking at it under magnification, in which case you may see it.

Regardless of whether you see corrosion or not, I would find a friend with a 355 who will let you temporarily swap ECU's to see if replacing the ECU will fix your problem before spending $$$ on a new one.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

John

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That pump is needed to move coolant when the car is stopped and engine idleing. When moving there is enough engine speed for the water pump on the engine to move coolant through the heater core, but not when stopped. I had a 328GTS that would pump out cold air when stopped, but worked perfectly when moving. A friend with a 92 512TR did the same thing. The pump on the 355 must have been meant to correct this.

15. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Thought it was that. Hey. Ever here of the O-ring in it going bad. Mine has and it leaks. Can't seem to locate an exact replacement. The motor runs fine when I give it 12VDC on the bench. Funny thing. I have a bypass hose installed right now in place of the pump. I actually get good heat at idle. Very hot.